+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 70 years ago today......

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    that fulham game was the one that did for us night match i think and we were 2 up and lost 3 2 and we really should have beaten chelsea on that last day we had enough chances
    . Yes 2 0 up at half time and then a young up and coming striker called Clarke got two for Fulham.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    My dear old dad took me to watch United for the first time. We beat Stoke City 3-0 in the old First Division and I was hooked. The following season, we were relegated and it’s been a roller coaster ride ever since.
    Through the lows - the even lowers - and the (very) occasional highs - my addiction has never wavered.
    I can’t imagine life without United - and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Thanks Dad!
    My first game was 1948/9 I was six. My dad sat me on the sloping wall where the players came out on John Street. All I remember about the game is seeing Jimmy Hagan when they came out on to the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    They used to play ‘Ilkly Moor bah Tat’ over the tannoy as the teams ran out when I first started going.
    I remember that.Thought it was played before games for quite a while during my first seasons.

First game was the cup 1/4 final v Burnley , 10th March 1962.Lost to a lucky back header from Ray Pointer.

My dad took me, it was a night match and I thought he was having me on- how could they play football in the dark?

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    My first game was 1948/9 I was six. My dad sat me on the sloping wall where the players came out on John Street. All I remember about the game is seeing Jimmy Hagan when they came out on to the pitch.
    Chuffin hell Charlie i dint realise tha were such an owd chuff,i feel like a bairn readin this thread mi owd pal. UTCB

Yes, Shoreham, the only song I remember in the late 40's was very corny by to-day's standards (or lack of).It went something like- Roll along Sheffield United ,Roll along- to the top of the league where you belong-------------(forgot that line)- For when Hagan's got the ball-it's sure to be a goal- Rollalong Etc.

Any of you boys and girls who remember us thrashing the arrogants 7-3, care to share your memories of the day?

It would be much appreciated by us youngsters.

my god were all golden oldies on here arnt we lol used to love the songs of the 60s on the shoreham all of us packed together behind the goal used to end up 15 yards further down kop when we scored

In reply to Block D:
    As many people (including me) went to watch both teams in those days there wasn’t quite the same intense rivalry that there is today - rather it was more in the nature of a friendly rivalry - which might explain why we didn’t go on about it like they did after a certain December 26th fixture. Also, I was only 11 at the time - and over 66 years later, my memory is not a clear as I would like.
    What I can recall is that the massive were their usual arrogant selves (and they did win the division that season) and that they scored first. However, it was 2-1 to us at half time and the second half was manic. We even managed to miss a penalty late on if I remember correctly.
    Sir James didn’t score that day, but was certainly instrumental in a famous NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN (even if you were not yet born) victory.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    In reply to Block D:
    As many people (including me) went to watch both teams in those days there wasn’t quite the same intense rivalry that there is today - rather it was more in the nature of a friendly rivalry - which might explain why we didn’t go on about it like they did after a certain December 26th fixture. Also, I was only 11 at the time - and over 66 years later, my memory is not a clear as I would like.
    What I can recall is that the massive were their usual arrogant selves (and they did win the division that season) and that they scored first. However, it was 2-1 to us at half time and the second half was manic. We even managed to miss a penalty late on if I remember correctly.
    Sir James didn’t score that day, but was certainly instrumental in a famous NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN (even if you were not yet born) victory.
    Nice one Ronald,I believe it was local lad Fred Furniss who missed the penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    my god were all golden oldies on here arnt we lol used to love the songs of the 60s on the shoreham all of us packed together behind the goal used to end up 15 yards further down kop when we scored
    Great memories of the forward surge when we scored. That’s why I always stood near to any good looking lasses I could find. Hands went everywhere in a surge (their’s as well as mine!).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast