+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 years ago today......

Courtesy of my Uncle,who treat Dad and me to tickets in the new Bramall Lane stand,mine was February 1968 we beat Spurs 3-2,somebody scored twice,but can't remember much about him.

I'm sure we got relegated at the end of the season,but by then I was smitten.

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Courtesy of my Uncle,who treat Dad and me to tickets in the new Bramall Lane stand,mine was February 1968 we beat Spurs 3-2,somebody scored twice,but can't remember much about him.

Monday Feb 26th. Scorers were Barry Wagstaff, Tony Currie and Gil Reece. No wonder you were smitten!
    And yes, we were relegated.

thanks for that ronnie not bad though only a month out can remember more about the sixties than six months ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    Monday Feb 26th. Scorers were Barry Wagstaff, Tony Currie and Gil Reece. No wonder you were smitten!
    And yes, we were relegated.
    I always thought TC had notched twice Ronald,silly me,went to 2 more that season,Fulham and Chelsea lost both

that fulham game was the one that did for us night match i think and we were 2 up and lost 3 2 and we really should have beaten chelsea on that last day we had enough chances

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post

You knew how to pick em for your debut game ya glory seeker!

We’d replaced the brilliant Mick Jones with the not so Brilliant Mick Hill by then although he did score the winner against the Dirties with a towering header. Also, our other blonde bombshell striker Sherman Birchenall has also been flogged off, and even though his replacement (here’s to you) Colin Addison was a very good player, he was more a number ten than a striker for me hence we were relegated.

The following season we signed John Tudor, one of the best and hardest headers of the ball ever to wear a Blades shirt. Harris tried TC as an out and out striker for a while and moved Addison (who by then seemed to constantly be wearing a pot on his wrist) further back. Also a special mention David (Enoch) Powel, a classy Weish international central defender who’s career was cut short far too soon by injury.

One thing that I have realised looking back is that it took a few years for that team to gel. Most of the players that got us promoted in 72 were there in that first season back in the second division.. Maybe a lesson to us all who expect players to settle and teams to gel in weeks?

Happy daze, glad you were hooked pal.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    You knew how to pick em for your debut game ya glory seeker!

We’d replaced the brilliant Mick Jones with the not so Brilliant Mick Hill by then although he did score the winner against the Dirties with a towering header. Also, our other blonde bombshell striker Sherman Birchenall has also been flogged off, and even though his replacement (here’s to you) Colin Addison was a very good player, he was more a number ten than a striker for me hence we were relegated.

The following season we signed John Tudor, one of the best and hardest headers of the ball ever to wear a Blades shirt. Harris tried TC as an out and out striker for a while and moved Addison (who by then seemed to constantly be wearing a pot on his wrist) further back. Also a special mention David (Enoch) Powel, a classy Weish international central defender who’s career was cut short far too soon by injury.

One thing that I have realised looking back is that it took a few years for that team to gel. Most of the players that got us promoted in 72 were there in that first season back in the second division.. Maybe a lesson to us all who expect players to settle and teams to gel in weeks?

Happy daze, glad you were hooked pal.
    1971 we were promoted wasn't it?,wonderful year,as well as our magnificent side it also produced the best song ever,MAGGIE MAY,if ya aint heard ya should try it,more than 5minutes of iconic music.Ronaldo how come you 35 years ols before ya started goin to BDBL?UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    that fulham game was the one that did for us night match i think and we were 2 up and lost 3 2 and we really should have beaten chelsea on that last day we had enough chances
    Yes, Fulham (who were adrift at the bottom of the league) was a Tuesday night and we “threw it away”. Also, we led against Chelsea at h-t, but lost 2-1. We lost our last three home games and were relegated by 1 point! It was almost as though the players wanted to be relegated. Of course, the sale earlier in the season of Jones and Birchenall hadn’t helped.
    Birchy tried his level best to not win that last game for Chelsea, but we were so bad we still managed to lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    1971 we were promoted wasn't it?,wonderful year,as well as our magnificent side it also produced the best song ever,MAGGIE MAY,if ya aint heard ya should try it,more than 5minutes of iconic music.Ronaldo how come you 35 years ols before ya started goin to BDBL?UTCB
    Aye Rod, it was 71 mate sorry. You get my drift though, most of that promotion team was in place by the season before. No doubt in my mind that Sir Trevor Hockey coming was the biggest catalyst for the change in that team, along with Billy Dearden who we signed from lowly Chester at the back end of the previous season. Trev allowed TC to play his game and Billy would always be available for the through pass. The only other newcomer was Johnny Hope who I think replaced Hodgy during that season, not at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    Fulham have often come up with a odd shock at the Lane just like this season. I recall us being topof the league on another occasion and we played them when they were rock bottom and without an away win. They beat us 1-0 with their only shot of the Game. We absolutely mullered them but had a couple disallowed and missed a pen. I’m not sure what season that was but we fell away after that. I think it might have been in the ‘Dad’s Army’ season when we had a team full of old uns.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast