+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 70 years ago today......

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    Great memories of the forward surge when we scored. That’s why I always stood near to any good looking lasses I could find. Hands went everywhere in a surge (their’s as well as mine!).
    You old sauce pot,always thought you had a look of Leslie Phillips about you,ding dong

Yes, Ronnie you were quite right about the Blackburn and Grimsby dates in the1947-8 season .I got the scores correct though , not bad for 70 years ago, and remember Grimsby in White shirts rather than their normal black and white stripes. I mentioned the holes in Grimsby's shirts in my earlier post.Don't mind going down memory lane (see what I did there) as only the oldies will be reading this- hopefully.

Yes, BlockD, wasn't that 7-3 season the same season they beat us to promotion on goal difference of .008 of a goal. Think that's eight thousandths of a goal?? Suppose they would say that it is eight thousand goals.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Chuffin hell Charlie i dint realise tha were such an owd chuff,i feel like a bairn readin this thread mi owd pal. UTCB
    Yes Rod. I was a war baby 1943. My mother had three kids in the war years. Probably thought the next day was their last!! By the way. There’s a old Treeton miner sits at the back of me now. He’s told me his name but I’ve forgot it. He had just left when we went there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnall Siam Blade View Post
    Yes, BlockD, wasn't that 7-3 season the same season they beat us to promotion on goal difference of .008 of a goal. Think that's eight thousandths of a goal?? Suppose they would say that it is eight thousand goals.
    No. The goal difference promotion (or not) was 2 seasons earlier.
    A 0-0 fix against Spurs, later copied by Germany and Austria in an infamous World Cup game. Didn’t Wednesday much good though, they were relegated the following season.
    Last edited by RonnieWaldock; 15-02-2018 at 05:53 PM.

P.S. it wasn’t goal difference in those days, but goal average. Our’s was 1.387, their’s was 1.395 (so it was indeed 0.008 of a goal). We both had a goal difference of 19, but under our present system we would have gone up as we had scored 1 more goal than them. (Although I expect the’d have fiddled a 2-2 draw in that case).

were you at the quarter final game with wendy in 60 ronnie was told although we were in 2nd div and they were in first we battered them for 90 mins only for them to have 2 shots from wilkinson and won 2 0 can remember being quite upset with that score at the time mind i was only 8 lol

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    were you at the quarter final game with wendy in 60 ronnie was told although we were in 2nd div and they were in first we battered them for 90 mins only for them to have 2 shots from wilkinson and won 2 0 can remember being quite upset with that score at the time mind i was only 8 lol
    No, I was away from home at the time, but the reports I got were exactly as you say. I know statistics are not that important, but I believe in that game we had 14 shots to their 6, 12 corners to their 5, and they committed 24 fouls! Even the Owls captain was quoted as saying “We were only in the game for about 15 minutes in the first half”. Unfortunately, the one statistic that does matter, went in their favour.
    Like you, I was very, very disappointed at the time (but at least they lost in the semi). Good old Derek Dougan!
    Last edited by RonnieWaldock; 15-02-2018 at 07:10 PM.

was even more dissapointed the year after when leicester beat us in semi in second replay imagine if we had been playing the fantastic spurs side at wembley in the final boy did we have a great cup team in the late 50s and early 60s

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    was even more dissapointed the year after when leicester beat us in semi in second replay imagine if we had been playing the fantastic spurs side at wembley in the final boy did we have a great cup team in the late 50s and early 60s
    Went to every cup game that season OB, including all 3 semi’s. The one we should have won was the first one up at Leeds (we wos robbed by the referee! Disallowed Doc’s “goal”). Mind you, we would probably have lost in the final. That Spurs side really were a cut above.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast