+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 70 years ago today......

70 years ago today......

My dear old dad took me to watch United for the first time. We beat Stoke City 3-0 in the old First Division and I was hooked. The following season, we were relegated and it’s been a roller coaster ride ever since.
    Through the lows - the even lowers - and the (very) occasional highs - my addiction has never wavered.
    I can’t imagine life without United - and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Thanks Dad!

I bet when you started going you thought in the next 70 years you'd see them win something.

Congratulations Ronnie and also to your Dad for setting you on the right road like my Dad did.

I can’t remember who the first game that I went to was against, but we stood in front of the cricket pavilion and I seemed to spend the whole game sitting on my Dad’s shoulders trying to figure out what was happening in the distance.

With that in, mind I can’t have been very old so it must have been over sixty years ago that I went to my first game, but it was a few years later when I started going regularly, the 63/64 season and I took my regular place stood next to the railings on John Street near the player’s entrance. The team then was in the top division then and we always seemed to score plenty of goals. The usual team was...
    Hodgy
    Coldwell
    Shaw G
    Richardson
    Shaw J
    Summers
    Alchurch
    Kettleborough
    Pace
    Wagstaff T
    Simpson

I suppose Cel Coldwell and Joe Shaw would have been in the team you watched as well mate as they were coming to the end of their careers by then? It’s funny how I can still name that team, but I’d be hard pushed to name that many players, let alone teams in the past few years until Wilder came and gave me my mojo back.

To smell of pipe and cigar smoke still whisks me back to those happy days. UTB.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    I bet when you started going you thought in the next 70 years you'd see them win something.
    Didn’t we all? It was just a matter of time, we supported the best team in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    I did indeed. Never the league - but always hoped one day that we’d win the F.A. Cup. Several semi-finals in that time, only to be disappointed. Now, I no longer believe we will - but..............stranger things have happened..............so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieWaldock View Post
    I did indeed. Never the league - but always hoped one day that we’d win the F.A. Cup. Several semi-finals in that time, only to be disappointed. Now, I no longer believe we will - but..............stranger things have happened..............so you never know.
    Never the league Ron?? I certainly did if the likes of Burnley, Wolves and Ipswich could.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post

I suppose Cel Coldwell and Joe Shaw would have been in the team you watched as well mate as they were coming to the end of their careers by then? It’s funny how I can still name that team, but I’d be hard pushed to name that many players, let alone teams in the past few years until Wilder came and gave me my mojo back.

To smell of pipe and cigar smoke still whisks me back to those happy days. UTB.
    Fred White, Fred Furniss, Albert Cox, Ernest Jackson, Dick Young, Harold Brook, Dennis Thompson, Albert Nightingale, Colin Collindridge (scored 2), Cliff Whitelum, George Jones (scored 1). (Whatever happened to proper football names like Fred and Albert?)
    Hagan was injured at the time.
    Although Joe Shaw was signed from Upton Colliery in 1945, his first league game for us was late August 1948 against Liverpool. Originally a wing half, he didn’t switch to centre half on a more or less permanent basis until early in the 1954/55 season. As you know, he wasn’t really built to be a CH, but his reading of the game was so superb that he got away with it. Made 632 appearances for us.
    Cec joined us from Norton Woodseats in the Summer of1951, but only made 1 appearance that season (a 1-0 win at Southampton) and didn’t really establish himself in the first team until late in 1953. Eventually, played 478 games. Both great servants. I didn’t know Joe, but Cec was a truly lovely man.
    Last edited by RonnieWaldock; 14-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Excellent thread, I always think back to the first game at BDTBL and how things could have been so different, a sort of "sliding doors" moment even.

I lived a couple of miles away from Hillsborough so my old Dad used to say he would take me to watch Wednesday but due to my Mothers side who were all Blades I insisted on going to the Lane,

Bearing in mind there weren't many people who had a car back then it was a tall order to get from Parson Cross to BDTBL on a bus but anyway my Dad took me to The Blades v Derby County in the 67-68 season back in Div 2.

We won 2-1 i think and I stood in the bottom right hand corner of the Kop which was a few years later converted to the EDS Pen.

I was hooked then obviously but things could have been so different I suppose.

first game for me charlton 1959 stood on the lane end think we won 2 0 or 2 1 first time on the kop april 1961 against ipswich and we lost 3 1 but went up with them in 2nd me dad took a little fold up chair and i stood on that lol remember being a bit scary getting crushed against wall right up shoreham st to get in turnstyle on john st and it took us ages to get in used to love the lane under the floodlights magical as a boy

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    first game for me charlton 1959 stood on the lane end think we won 2 0 or 2 1 first time on the kop april 1961 against ipswich and we lost 3 1 but went up with them in 2nd me dad took a little fold up chair and i stood on that lol remember being a bit scary getting crushed against wall right up shoreham st to get in turnstyle on john st and it took us ages to get in used to love the lane under the floodlights magical as a boy
    Actually January 23rd 1960 OB. 2-0 Doc Pace scored both. You should have gone the previous season v Charlton. 5-0 with Doc getting 4 of them.
    The Ipswich game you refer to was March 1961and yes, it was 1-3. Apart from being a month out in both cases, you’ve got an extremely good memory - certainly much better than mine! (It must be my misspent youth to blame). I have to refer to written records for all the dates.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast