+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who'd have thought....

Who'd have thought....

Losing Johnny Russell would have had such a devastating impact on our form?

Discuss

Insufficient end product from JR but now he has gone we appear to have even less......

The Alan Hinton of the twenty ****s (*) only truly appreciated when he’d gone.

*. Not that I’m comparing the two as players, sorry Johnny, just the impact on a team

I reckon you have genuinely hit on something.
    I have oft been frustrated with Russell’s end product but never with commitment and willingness.
    I realise that isn’t enough to be a top top player. However even when not scoring or making direct chances, he still hassled the opposition, would always look and move forward and rarely lost the ball cheaply.
    If I’d have been given the choice of retaining one from Russell, Lawrence or Anya, I’d have gone for Johnny.
    I do reckon he is a bit Marmite though as even when there were those classing him in the “not good enough” group following a poor TEAM performance, I often didn’t see that.
    With Lawrence, it is hopefully a confidence thing that a couple of goals will solve but if he loses the ball again trying to beat the third defender when team mates are obviously better placed, i’ll scream (though i don’t think you’d hear it).
    Good luck Johnny and for me, you’ve left us too early

By the way, where has DDD gone?
    Last edited by Rob_the_Ram; 14-02-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_the_Ram View Post
    I reckon you have genuinely hit on something.
    I have oft been frustrated with Russell’s end product but never with commitment and willingness.
    I realise that isn’t enough to be a top top player. However even when not scoring or making direct chances, he still hassled the opposition, would always look and move forward and rarely lost the ball cheaply.
    If I’d have been given the choice of retaining one from Russell, Lawrence or Anya, I’d have gone for Johnny.
    I do reckon he is a bit Marmite though as even when there were those classing him in the “not good enough” group following a poor TEAM performance, I often didn’t see that.
    With Lawrence, it is hopefully a confidence thing that a couple of goals will solve but if he loses the ball again trying to beat the third defender when team mates are obviously better placed, i’ll scream (though i don’t think you’d hear it).
    Good luck Johnny and for me, you’ve left us too early

By the way, where has DDD gone?
    He’s gone off in search of a hitman to take out Roger.

Think we miss his willingness to track back (JR’s not DDD/R4J’s) more than anything else. Never good enough imo but he was a ‘team player’.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-02-2018 at 10:20 PM.

The DDD ban had been reinstated Rob as it was an error that he could get back

Russell scores and assists in Sporting Kansas City 3-4 away win.
    Just sayin’

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)