+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Strength in depth

Strength in depth

I was thinking about our squad again, and realised we do have TWO decent teams within it.
    Have a look at the line-ups below. I've tried to set them out according to the actual pattern TM has used recently, but the squad also has the flexibility to switch - for example to three at the back, or even 4-4-2, once Chapman is back.

Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams
    Bennett Smallwood
    Payne
    Armstrong Dack
    Graham

Leutwiler/Fisher
    Caddis Downing Wharton Bell
    Travis Evans
    Tomlinson/Whittingham
    Samuel Antonsson
    Nuttall
    (Not to mention: Conway, Chapman, Gladwin, Ward, Hart, Feeney...and loads of youngsters lining up).
    I accept that Samuel and Antonsson are not quite the same in style and preferences as Dack and Armstrong, but they're not a million miles off.
    I don't think that "second XI" would be bottom of L.1

Incidentally, does everyone agree that first team shown is probably the best eleven now? What about Williams v. Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I was thinking about our squad again, and realised we do have TWO decent teams within it.
    Have a look at the line-ups below. I've tried to set them out according to the actual pattern TM has used recently, but the squad also has the flexibility to switch - for example to three at the back, or even 4-4-2, once Chapman is back.

Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams
    Bennett Smallwood
    Payne
    Armstrong Dack
    Graham

Leutwiler/Fisher
    Caddis Downing Wharton Bell
    Travis Evans
    Tomlinson/Whittingham
    Samuel Antonsson
    Nuttall
    (Not to mention: Conway, Chapman, Gladwin, Ward, Hart, Feeney...and loads of youngsters lining up).
    I accept that Samuel and Antonsson are not quite the same in style and preferences as Dack and Armstrong, but they're not a million miles off.
    I don't think that "second XI" would be bottom of L.1

Incidentally, does everyone agree that first team shown is probably the best eleven now? What about Williams v. Bell?
    Yea I agree aucks, Monday games feel like football free weekends and are boring..!

Good points made aucks
    I think ward is on his way out and gladwin both have failed to meet the high standards set
    But neither effect the fact our strength in depth is the best we have had for years just a shame it's taken us to fall into league 1 for venkys to wake up and listen
    As for bell v Williams
    It's Williams for me JUST I can see them changing places over the remaining games left.

Robin, I actually think the drop was the ‘wake up call’ the club re owners needed.
    It’s been in many ways the catalyst and making of us.
    As I said a short while back, just how much worse off (financially) are we really?
    Prem monies gone, parachute monies gone. TV revenue Champs vs LG 1 not so sure , but gate receipts not all that different, maybe slightly better!
    The rejuvenation of the support I think has been a price worth paying.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)