+ Visit Burnley FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Florida shooting 50 injured

  1. #1

    Florida shooting 50 injured

    A suspected gunman has been arrested after opening fire on a Florida high school, leaving at least 50 injured.
    The 'heavily armed' shooter, named by police sources to DailyMail.com as student Nicolas Cruz, 19, entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, armed with what appears to be an assault rifle, and began shooting at just after 2pm.
    What will Trump do?
    Nothing I suppose.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz577ehVFJi

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    30,010
    Absolutely horrendous. RIP to those who have been murdered..

    America has over 300 million guns in its country.. What a sad state of affairs it is..

  3. #3
    Trump has sent his thoughts and prayers - again.

    Not good enough.

    What IS it with America and guns?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

    What IS it with America and guns?
    The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution refers to a pre-existing right to keep and bear arms: it says
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

    The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution was adopted on December 15, 1791, as part of the first ten amendments contained in the Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment was based partially on the right to keep and bear arms in English common law and was influenced by the English Bill of Rights of 1689.

    The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the right belongs to individuals, while also ruling that the right is not unlimited and does not prohibit all regulation of either firearms or similar devices

    Changing the constitution is not easy and there are powerful lobbies for holding guns, led by gun makers. In remote and rural locations guns safeguard people against wild animals, and in the days it was written against lawless people,but the need for people to hold dozens of them in urban areas in the modern world seems arguable. Some states I think California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, do regulate against guns. Others prevent concealed weapons and some states want proof of identity to buy them.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_...tates_by_state

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    What will Trump do?
    Nothing I suppose.
    What did Obama do about it, or Clinton ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    What did Obama do about it, or Clinton ?
    Obama tried to some effect but congress stopped him.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ol-mass-shoot/

  7. #7
    17 dead so far. RIP

  8. #8
    Alright lads! First up I have always enjoyed reading the posts on your board and I must admit to having a soft spot for your club. I spent a fair amount of time back in the 70,s working on a project at Huncoat Power Plant. Great days.

    Anyway, the shooting. I have lived in Texas for the last 30+ years, grew up and lived before that in the Wolverhampton area. Now I live in a town of around 200,000 people about 30 miles north of Houston. I can guarantee that this year will be the same as last year in that gun crime in the Wolverhampton and surronding area will well exceed that where I live.

    The problem here in the states with these shootings is a cultural/social problem that is to complex to address here, nothing to do with the availability of firearms. The UK has some of the strictist [spelling?] gun laws in the world, hey pick up a newspaper, it makes no difference at all.

    Note that if you are a Swiss citizen you have to, by law, possess [sorry my spell corrector don't work!] a firearm and be trained to use it.

    The reports coming out are that the shooter was known to be troubled and a lot of ordainary people had red flagged him. The problem is that in the prevalent PC enviroment infested with liberal/leftie lawyers there can be no pre action intervention.

    A very tragic incident, but it will not be the last unfortunately.

    And by the way the bat eared, monkey faced racist did not do anything about the laws when in office because there were no votes in it.

    Comments are welcome.

  9. #9
    Move along……..nothing see here…..same old nonsense. I’ll guarantee those who penned the 2nd amendment are turning in their graves knowing what they created.

    It’s just a matter of time before the next one happens and absolutely nothing will be done to curtail the slaughter.

    NRA will probably call for more, bigger guns.

  10. #10
    come back woodland when some one in your family gets killed by a crazed troubled gunman-

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    come back woodland when some one in your family gets killed by a crazed troubled gunman-
    That's not very nice.
    The guy makes some pertinent points & he's living in the country.
    Go back to your bed & get out the other side.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SmedDUm View Post
    That's not very nice.
    The guy makes some pertinent points & he's living in the country.
    Go back to your bed & get out the other side.
    Sorry pal but that's the reality of allowing so many guns in the hands of people- most Americans I know, dont even know how many guns they own or even exactly where some of them are-

    When someone close to you gets shot and killed by a crazy gunman- your view will change.

  13. #13
    Woodland
    Love the Stanier Pacific photo! Good to hear you have a Claret soft spot and a Claret engine.

    Valid points except West Midlands has the highest rate of gun crime in the UK at 19.3 per 100000 population Lancashire is 7, N Wales is only 2. As illegal possession is a crime here only 25% of these cause injury, and less than 5% of them cause serious injury and less than 0.5% cause death.
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...4/CBP-7654.pdf

    We do allow people to possess guns with a licence as you will know but not automatics or machine guns. There are very few mass shootings here. Donald Black at Dunblane being one I remember.
    I agree there are no votes in anti gun policies there as the gun lobby is so powerful in Congress and Presidential power is limited until that changes.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    30,010
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Woodland
    Love the Stanier Pacific photo! Good to hear you have a Claret soft spot and a Claret engine.

    Valid points except West Midlands has the highest rate of gun crime in the UK at 19.3 per 100000 population Lancashire is 7, N Wales is only 2. As illegal possession is a crime here only 25% of these cause injury, and less than 5% of them cause serious injury and less than 0.5% cause death.
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...4/CBP-7654.pdf

    We do allow people to possess guns with a licence as you will know but not automatics or machine guns. There are very few mass shootings here. Donald Black at Dunblane being one I remember.
    I agree there are no votes in anti gun policies there as the gun lobby is so powerful in Congress and Presidential power is limited until that changes.
    The Stainier Pacific more affectionately known as a Semi.. One of my fav engines when I was a crazy youth chasing train numbers all over the country..lol

    Nobody will change the gun law in America, there are far too many powerful people against it ..
    like Exile says it won't be long before the next one happens.. Sad but true..

  15. #15
    I wonder what drugs this one was on ? They all are, every single one of these murderous lunatics, but no one seems to notice that.

    And if you're out of your mind and want to kill people, you'll find a way, gun laws or no gun laws.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Obama tried to some effect but congress stopped him.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ol-mass-shoot/
    So the President is powerless to do anything about it ? In which case, why ask what Trump will do ?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    Sorry pal but that's the reality of allowing so many guns in the hands of people- most Americans I know, dont even know how many guns they own or even exactly where some of them are-

    When someone close to you gets shot and killed by a crazy gunman- your view will change.
    No way I'm defending USA's gun culture IDWT & neither is Woodland.
    The whole thing is an abomination.
    It's horrible news to wake up to this morning.
    The solution probably doesn't exist so it's bring on the next atrocity, it'll not be long away.

    'Sad, very sad', as he'll say.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    The Stainier Pacific more affectionately known as a Semi.. One of my fav engines when I was a crazy youth chasing train numbers all over the country..lol

    Nobody will change the gun law in America, there are far too many powerful people against it ..
    like Exile says it won't be long before the next one happens.. Sad but true..
    Oooooo Matron.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Darkest Lancashire
    Posts
    30,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcy Wolf View Post
    Oooooo Matron.
    Dont call the Matron or Alto will have you ..lol

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I wonder what drugs this one was on ? They all are, every single one of these murderous lunatics, but no one seems to notice that.

    And if you're out of your mind and want to kill people, you'll find a way, gun laws or no gun laws.
    I've just checked the homicide figures.

    In the UK there were 0.92 homicides per 100,000.

    In the USA there were 4.88 homicides per 100,000.

    Those figures are for ALL murders, not just murders by guns.

    If you are trying to explain it away by saying that people in the USA are more than five times more likely to be "out of their minds and want to kill people" as people in the UK, then fair enough.

    I think the much more logical reason is the gun laws in the two countries.

    The Democrats are generally pro gun law reform. The Republicans are generally not - including Trump.

    However, I think Trump must be realising that action must be taken. I would guess that he is considering giving guns to staff in schools, hospitals etc in order to "solve" the gun problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •