+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forida Shooting

Forida Shooting

Posted on Burnley Board

Alright lads! First up I have always enjoyed reading the posts on your board and I must admit to having a soft spot for your club. I spent a fair amount of time back in the 70,s working on a project at Huncoat Power Plant. Great days.

Anyway, the shooting. I have lived in Texas for the last 30+ years, grew up and lived before that in the Wolverhampton area. Now I live in a town of around 200,000 people about 30 miles north of Houston. I can guarantee that this year will be the same as last year in that gun crime in the Wolverhampton and surronding area will well exceed that where I live.

The problem here in the states with these shootings is a cultural/social problem that is to complex to address here, nothing to do with the availability of firearms. The UK has some of the strictist [spelling?] gun laws in the world, hey pick up a newspaper, it makes no difference at all.

Note that if you are a Swiss citizen you have to, by law, possess [sorry my spell corrector don't work!] a firearm and be trained to use it.

The reports coming out are that the shooter was known to be troubled and a lot of ordainary people had red flagged him. The problem is that in the prevalent PC enviroment infested with liberal/leftie lawyers there can be no pre action intervention.

A very tragic incident, but it will not be the last unfortunately.

And by the way the bat eared, monkey faced racist did not do anything about the laws when in office because there were no votes in it.

Comments are welcome.

The US has had 18 school shootings in 2018 alone. You have to go back 20 years to find 20 school shootings in the rest of the world. Seems a uniquely American problem.

I think there are three problems:
    1. Stigma and lack of access to mental health services. Insurance is expensive in the states and not all insurance companies cover mental health services. There’s also a big stigma surrounding it in the US, causing people to not seek out services.
    2. Guns - no two ways about it. To do nothing about it after all these years is insanity. Government needs to allow the CDC research it, but that is currently not allowed for some reason. I’m not in favor of a full ban or anything like that, but current policies must be looked at. Gotta get big money out of politics, from profit driven donors.
    3. Education - there’s probably a reason why these happen so frequently at schools. Kids are not getting access to services they need, feel alienated, lack social skills etc etc. I work in a school and see it every day. The way some of these teachers talk about students is despicable. Not all teachers, lots of good ones. But they struggle with things outside of curriculum.
    Last edited by MichiganWolf; 15-02-2018 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    The US has had 18 school shootings in 2018 alone. You have to go back 20 years to find 20 school shootings in the rest of the world. Seems a uniquely American problem.

I think there are three problems:
    1. Stigma and lack of access to mental health services. Insurance is expensive in the states and not all insurance companies cover mental health services. There’s also a big stigma surrounding it in the US, causing people to not seek out services.
    2. Guns - no two ways about it. To do nothing about it after all these years is insanity. Government needs to allow the CDC research it, but that is currently not allowed for some reason. I’m not in favor of a full ban or anything like that, but current policies must be looked at. Gotta get big money out of politics, from profit driven donors.
    3. Education - there’s probably a reason why these happen so frequently at schools. Kids are not getting access to services they need, feel alienated, lack social skills etc etc. I work in a school and see it every day. The way some of these teachers talk about students is despicable. Not all teachers, lots of good ones. But they struggle with things outside of curriculum.
    Thats a compelling and well articulated response, the second amendment goes back to 1791 FFS... things have changed a little... time for the US to reevaluate.

It would be good, on paper, if the law could be changed to regulate the kind of fire arms available but the truth is that is not going to stop some determined nutter from getting his hands on one. There is already a vetting system for gun purchases but it abused. Another big factor in availability of high power weapons is the long and porous border we have with Mexico, anything can come across in truth.

Mich, as for getting big money out of politics, good luck with that mate, politics is big money and not just here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    It would be good, on paper, if the law could be changed to regulate the kind of fire arms available but the truth is that is not going to stop some determined nutter from getting his hands on one. There is already a vetting system for gun purchases but it abused. Another big factor in availability of high power weapons is the long and porous border we have with Mexico, anything can come across in truth.

Mich, as for getting big money out of politics, good luck with that mate, politics is big money and not just here in the states.
    Alot of candidates are starting to refuse donations from PACs and corporations because people are upset. If more people apply pressure about it, we could get Citizens United reversed and stricter donation restrictions in place.

As for firearms, yes the system is abused but that's because we allow it to. There are loopholes that are exploited. They can be closed. And the fact is, most mass shootings are done by people that obtained their guns legally. Obviously some will find a way around it, but we can at least prevent some.

How many more Massacres is it going to take before something is actually done to try and stop what seems to be an all too frequent event in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65 View Post
    How many more Massacres is it going to take before something is actually done to try and stop what seems to be an all too frequent event in the USA?
    IMO, we're not going to see it stop in our lifetime. Our (UK) politicians & political system may be more than a little askew, but the system in the US always seems to be TOXIC, manipulated by organisations such as the Riflemans Association, who would rather cut off both their arms and their head than see a change in law that was put in place over 200 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65 View Post
    2018 midterm elections could see a reversal of majorities in the House and Senate. But I imagine Mr Cheeto would love to veto any bills. Hopefully it doesn’t take too many more but I’m not optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganWolf View Post
    Gotta stop you right there Mich. That claim of 18 school shootings is bogus. Its source is a gun control advocacy group called Everytown for Gun Safety and includes such things as a suicide that happened in the parking lot of a school, a bullet fired through the window of a school by unknown parties without injuries, etc. etc. The number of bona fide incidents of that claimed 18 is 3.

Sorry, any is too many but the inflation of numbers by the gun grabbers does not serve the discussion.

What about this stat from a quick search, NBC News, Oct 2017....
    There have been more gun-related deaths in last 50 years than USA losses in every war they've fought in.
    Firearm-related deaths 1968 - 2015 1.53 million.
    American deaths in all wars 1775 - 2017 1.2 million.
    Or is that just gun grabbers cooking the books?
    Robus, rightly or wrongly, the books need cooked.
    American gun crime is surely one of the biggest tragedies of our generation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)