+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T FAO Alfinyalcabo/Oldcolner

Quite possible Alf, didn’t know you’re a Nelsoner, I went to Edge End getting the school bus at 8.10 and my parents lived up Walton Lane in retirement. We lived the other side of Colne to the Station so we got the bus to the Turf and had to pay! Sometimes the milk man gave us a lift in his van, which stunk of sour milk?
    Played with a few from Primet and Fisher Moore in what eventually became Colne Dynamos but I only played a few times. Too skilful x- not!

Running onto the line near chauffeurs signal box in Netherfield rd Nelson to stick an old penny on the line and watch it get squashed by the old tank train then pick it up whilst it was still red hot.. Cabbing the trains at the sheds then getting chased out by the foreman.. Dangerous times indeed

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Quite possible Alf, didn’t know you’re a Nelsoner, I went to Edge End getting the school bus at 8.10 and my parents lived up Walton Lane in retirement. We lived the other side of Colne to the Station so we got the bus to the Turf and had to pay! Sometimes the milk man gave us a lift in his van, which stunk of sour milk?
    Played with a few from Primet and Fisher Moore in what eventually became Colne Dynamos but I only played a few times. Too skilful x- not!
    So you were a technical twerp and I was a grammar school grub..lol..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    So you were a technical twerp and I was a grammar school grub..lol..
    My wife thinks I didn’t pass my 11 plus.

Here’s the Deltic
    Name:  02953A6C-E6F0-4984-93B3-D72B389B7600.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  20.2 KB

And the Duchess of Hamilton in her two guises, though the streamlining didn’t work that’s how she is now.
    Name:  EE6C0894-4ECC-4556-8784-826AE95433FD.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  AB7FA3E7-31BE-4403-B5EA-7E31AB8DB2D2.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  20.2 KB

That red train ^^^ looks awesome,a lot better than the box's that we have now,is the Intercity 125 still running,I once read that we can't have trains do more than 125mph because of the infrastructure that we have,you would have thought that with the advancement of cars and planes that trains would be a thing of the past,the idea does seem Victorian after all

Quote Originally Posted by chalky_ncfc View Post
    That red train ^^^ looks awesome,a lot better than the box's that we have now,is the Intercity 125 still running,I once read that we can't have trains do more than 125mph because of the infrastructure that we have,you would have thought that with the advancement of cars and planes that trains would be a thing of the past,the idea does seem Victorian after all
    That’s the Duchess of Hamilton no less restored for Museum display to her original livery.

Yes the 125s are now called HSTs as one holds the world record for fastest diesel train at 143mph.
    They are at or beyond their planned life but have had new engines and will still be used around the network.

HSTs operating with Great Western Railway and Virgin Trains East Coast will be replaced on their current duties by Class 800/801/802 trains by 2020. Twenty-six sets each with four or five carriages are to move from Great Western Railway to Abellio ScotRail and be refurbished with controlled emission tanks and plug automatic doors.
    They will operate on services from Edinburgh and Glasgow to Aberdeen and Inverness.

Great Western Railway are to retain 24 powercars and 48 carriages to form 11 four-carriage sets for use on local services between Cardiff and Penzance. The carriages will be fitted with automatic doors and controlled emission tanks.

InterCity 225 is an electric high speed train in the United Kingdom, comprising a Class 91 electric locomotive, nine Mark 4 coaches and a Driving Van Trailer (DVT). The Class 91 locomotives were built by British Rail Engineering Limited's Crewe Works as a spin-off from the Advanced Passenger Train project, which was abandoned during the 1980s.
    The trains were designed to operate at up to 140 mph (225 km/h) in regular service, but are limited to 125 mph (200 km/h) principally due to a lack of cab signalling and the limitations of the current overhead line equipment. They are used on services from London King's Cross to Newark North Gate, Leeds, Bradford Forster Square, Skipton, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central.
    Last edited by oldcolner; 16-02-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Michael Portillo is doing the Flying Scotsman on his Great British Railway Journeys if anyone is interested.

If you miss it, you may catch up on Iplayer, its #1/15.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Michael Portillo is doing the Flying Scotsman on his Great British Railway Journeys if anyone is interested.

If you miss it, you may catch up on Iplayer, its #1/15.
    cheers Alto,I will catch up on that one..

Thanks for the tip.
    Did you see the programme on Tornado 100mph recently. Think it was a repeat but it’s on you tube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xcBPrfCQMBQ

Flying Scotsman is popular.
    A Series starts Channel 5 Monday at 9pm
    http://www.channel5.com/show/the-flying-scotsman/

Interesting blog on the plans
    https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12391
    Last edited by oldcolner; 21-02-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)