+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Gun Crime

US Gun Crime

Obviously not much can been done about school shootings, other than a lot of praying, but check this site out showing the stats for Chicago alone.

Absolutely mental.

https://heyjackass.com

5 counts of shooting yourself taking selfies...

Trump and his right wing followers use Chicago as an example of why "strict" gun control doesn't work.

Maybe one day someone with a gun will stop someone else with a gun shooting up innocent kids.

Gun stats in the US in 2018... so far.

Name:  Stats.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  69.7 KB

Some of the solutions being offered up by the crazies are staggering

More guns in schools is the obvious answer but some are wanting to ban schools altogether to prevent it from happening.

Nothing will change. If Sandy Hook didn’t do it, nothing else will

Sandy Hook should have changed the outlook on guns forever in the US, but the solution for many is to have more guns. At the time, many were stating that if the teacher had a gun, then deaths could have been prevented. Deluded doesnt even come close to explaining US citizens and their views on guns. I have been to the US many times and the accessibility to guns, ammo and weapons in general is staggering. Not only is it normal to see guns openly on display, it is glamourised and is made to look attractive.

I always wonder why so many non Americans care about US gun laws. It's a bit weird really. You don't see the same level of obsession over the homicide rate of Mexico (over 3 times that of the US) or Brazil (over 5 times that of the US). I suppose it does give people an opportunity to express a sense of indignation and smug superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I always wonder why so many non Americans care about US gun laws. It's a bit weird really. You don't see the same level of obsession over the homicide rate of Mexico (over 3 times that of the US) or Brazil (over 5 times that of the US). I suppose it does give people an opportunity to express a sense of indignation and smug superiority.
    That’s an odd take on things

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    That’s an odd take on things
    How so? I lived there for years and listen to people who've never even been there pontificating about things they barely understand.

I don't particularly fall onto either side of the debate - I'm broadly supportive of gun rights but also agree that there should be sensible checks restrictions. But the depth of insight I usually hear is along the lines of "dumb hick Americans love their guns".

The reality is that in most parts of the country with lax gun laws gun crime is low. The US has some horrendous crime hot spots concentrated in urban areas and the vast majority of gun crime is committed with illegal firearms. Mass shootings trigger an emotional response because the crimes are so horrific and are usually committed by disgruntled white guys with legally acquired firearms. But they are statistically insignificant (that's not to say I think they should be ignored or shouldn't warrant some kind of response). If you want to be shocked then do some research into the demographics of the US cities with the highest crime rates. That's where you'll find the real tension at the heart of US society.
    Last edited by ragnarok; 16-02-2018 at 12:05 AM.

I understand it’s only February & that was the 18th school shooting of the year.

I wasn’t trying to be pontificating for a change but you don’t have to live there to know that the pro gun folk are f*cking mental

Pretty much everything that happens in US national politics is mental and a total sideshow. Both sides of the spectrum are dominated by lobbying and interest groups.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast