+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good football question

Good football question

....I never knew this one! No googling and give everyone a chance to have a look first, if you do know it.

There is one English (League) football club who's ground is not on the English mainland.
    Who is it?

Without scanning a map and focusing on ‘not on mainland as opposed to within English boundary (which brings welsh clubs into the mix). I would guess a South East club that’s located on one of the isles of the Thames estuary.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Without scanning a map and focusing on ‘not on mainland as opposed to within English boundary (which brings welsh clubs into the mix). I would guess a South East club that’s located on one of the isles of the Thames estuary.

Without giving it away early, you are certainly thinking the right way Despair. Here's a clue ....I said Chester straight away. The ground is half in England half wales, but its an English football club, and an english postal code, so not them! Its non of the welsh/scottish teams put it that way ....and they are a league club.

I was going to say Newport , but the quiz quotes ‘mainland’ not boundary.
    So I’ll be honest and say that not having the geography of that area (SE coastal) in my head I would have to cheat and scan a map!
    But I’ll not do that as it would be too easy.

Pure guess - Southend ?

I'm guessing too. Not sure where Forest Green actually play, but if it's to the west of Lydney, I suppose it could be just in Wales. However, the "mainland" bit suggests an island and that doesn't ring any bells.
    One of the East London clubs, perhaps?

Possibly barrow ?again like despair pure guess work

With Champs up Grange way that’s an interesting punt ((being in his corner of the nation) but barrows not a league club as far as I understand the term and not sure if their ground is on the island . More importantly , is there not a permanent (non tidal) ‘causeway’ linking it?
    That then begs the questions when do these ‘features’ determine when a plot of land is ‘off shore’ or still part of mainland?

Expanding this further: We are in some minds part of Europe because of the underlying plate we sit upon. It’s only due to the ‘filling in’ of the valley plain between us by seawater that makes us an island.
    Otherwise we would be very good friends with our immediate neighbours the French! No I’ll give that one a miss.

I’ve just cheated and believe I know the answer !
    That is, if a body of continual water( as a barrier) defines off shore. (River vs Channel ???)
    Given Champs teasing prompts above, there is a further debatable point to challenge it.

Just read up on the place and learnt quite a bit.
    One of my big heroes was born there, himself and the place have played one almighty part in our history.
    Some facts and descriptives do actually make the ‘off shore’ slant debatable however , but none the less it is actually disconnected from the mainland.
    Clue is: don’t think tooo far back in BRFC’s endeavours 😉

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)