+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good football question

Well,what's the answer? I'm waiting

If Champs deems it, I’ll reveal.
    As I say Alf I have unfortunately cheated by scanning the UK / England’s geography.
    Got to say, I was certainly not thinking ‘big’ enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Just read up on the place and learnt quite a bit.
    One of my big heroes was born there, himself and the place have played one almighty part in our history.
    Some facts and descriptives do actually make the ‘off shore’ slant debatable however , but none the less it is actually disconnected from the mainland.
    Clue is: don’t think tooo far back in BRFC’s endeavours ��
    Ahh! Do Portsmouth play on Hayling Island?
    I haven't been there since God was a boy (and I was 16!), so I can't remember!

You’re there Aucks, but it’s not Hayling Island, it’s Portsea Island.
    The ‘gap’ that designates it, is called : Port Creek! So I am assuming it’s perfectly ‘natural’ ie not a manufactured ‘trench’.
    In one descriptive it’s termed a peninsula which implies a continuation of the main land, plus it’s part and parcel of Hampshire!
    So a little of an enigma I suppose.
    Never encountered a feature termed a creek before around UK.
    Pretty common down your part of hemisphere though. Ie your good friends and near neighbours Northerly !😉

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Ahh! Do Portsmouth play on Hayling Island?
    I haven't been there since God was a boy (and I was 16!), so I can't remember!

Correct Aucks! Portsmouth's Fratton Park is on Port Sea Island (not Haying which is next door)

Again , many thanks Champs for promoting my further education!
    Of course my artefact is was HMS Victory.
    My Dad being a RN man in the war was probably understandable in taking his family over there to proudly show off this majestic old girl.
    Memory of it a bit vague so must have been really young.
    The neighbouring place of my aunt is more memorable and I can still clearly recall the first time I stood in Southampton Pier and watched Q Mary, an Elizabeth , Canberra, an United Statescome up the Solent and dock!!!
    It was almost frightening when the ‘speck’ in the distance arrives an blocks out the entire view . Plus the surge in the channel when the surface rises by what appears to be immense. Then finally the ‘3 point turn’ to dock them in the Cunard docking .
    It’s up there with the first time ever I stood on B’burn station when the B’pool service STEAM train arrives ! Stunning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)