+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barry Bennell situation

Barry Bennell situation

Having listened in depth to Jim White on Talk Sport today they only appeared to be concerned with child abuse in football circles. What about the parents who take their children to other sporting leisure interests such as Scouts , Cubs or any other organisation involving young children. Maybe Jim White doesn’t realise there are many sports where children attend both after school and on weekends. As a parent myself who went through the Dad’s Taxi routine for a few years you just trust the people who look after your children and many of you out there,like me, would not have even thought of something like this happening, knowing your children were only too happy to be doing something involving exercise in sport, which has many advantages for their development.
    This subject of “child care” will now have to be addressed and I don’t think there is an easy solution to the problem.Anyone out there got any thoughts on this and what the answer may be?

Excuse the predictable text. ! It has nothing to do with Belgium , Netherlands or Luxembourg !!!

I've done the Taxi routine all over the country with my kids.. I feel really sorry for the genuine people who coach / look after and genuinely go out of their way to help our children ,whatever the sport or be it Cubs,scouts ,boys brigade etc.. These people must be sick to death of people looking at them as though they are pervs for the actions of a few others... It's a sad state of affairs..

It is a sad state of affairs Alf.

When me and Mrs 59-60 were members of our tennis club we used to run the junior team. We used to pick the team up and take them to the away games and then return them home again.
    This kind of thing was practically unheard of, and it never even crossed our minds.

Would we do the same today? Well, we would insist on being CRB checked before we would even consider it.

If we had very young kids, would we allow them to be taken to matches by other adults? Tricky one...if we knew the individuals well then yes. If we didn't, then we would probably insist on going with them.

And the funny thing is, I don't these type of child abusers are more prevalent these days, it's just that they are getting outed (eventually)

One good result is that (I hope) there will be less "covering up" of others in the present climate.

Enhanced CRB checks and extremely lengthy custodial sentences for convicted perpetrators might just fix the problem and of course compensation paid to victims from the funds of the clubs involved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Enhanced CRB checks and extremely lengthy custodial sentences for convicted perpetrators might just fix the problem and of course compensation paid to victims from the funds of the clubs involved.
    DBS checks dont capture offenfers that have not been caught yet-

No more CRB- now DBS

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)