+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 !!

They both scored but we weren’t great that game . Roberts went off injured at half time

I don't believe in holding midfielders. You can either pass, tackle, run and shoot or you can't. If you can only run and tackle you're a centre back. If you can only run and shoot you're a striker. If you can only run and pass or shoot you're a winger. If you can master all of the above you're a midfielder and a bloody good one.

What's the obsession with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I don't believe in holding midfielders. You can either pass, tackle, run and shoot or you can't. If you can only run and tackle you're a centre back. If you can only run and shoot you're a striker. If you can only run and pass or shoot you're a winger. If you can master all of the above you're a midfielder and a bloody good one.

What's the obsession with them?

You make it sound simple. I suppose categorizing a players attributes fits right in with the club's current philosophy. That's fine if we're playing a football manager computer game but its a different story in reality.

Look at Conor Hourihane. When he arrived here he couldn't tackle, didn't want to tackle and looked nothing like a leader. His strengths were offensive midfield play. Lee Johnson and Hecky started to work with him to develope his weakness and he became a complete midfield player. Same with josh scowen. He developed into the combative holding midfield player that every team needs. A guy to do the dirty stuff that gets unnoticed to the untrained eye and allow his fellow midfield partner to grab some attacking glory.

Mowatt is obviously a waste of time and can't even get into a mid table LG 1 team regularly. That tells you something. It's not just Hecky then who doesn't rate him. Couple that up with the fact that we barely won a game with moncur and mowatt in the team then it looks a non starter to me.

it is simple Pass

Id say we failed to win games more because of our entire defence & keeper Pass, rather than whether Moncur & Mowatt were good enough as a partnership.
    Anyway back to Moncs and this so called number 10 role, the free roaming attack minded goalscoring midfielder role which he apparently did so well at Colchester. Isn't that what he was brought here for ?. Maybe Morais will look for somebody to fill this role and it should be down to either him or Mallan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12