+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: QUESTION: Do we have the quality to get automatic promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Not seen Hall play yet, but he sounds like a good addition.

On the minus side, we obviously lost Ryan Yates who had been our best player. He’s been replaced by a mix and match of midfielders, who’ve each contributed, but none of whom are currently fit to lace Yates’ boots. Up front we missed out on a whole load of strikers we were after, and instead ended up with an injury prone player who’s since got injured.

So yeah, in terms of a team going for promotion, it’s looking pretty disastrous.
    In terms of going for promotion I agree . Who we could have realistically gone for in January i don't . We were never going to get the bogey man or the French sounding chap from Bolton.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    We were never going to get the bogey man or the French sounding chap from Bolton.
    But we don't know that do we? 2nd place and points clear, a good manager, a good ground, crowds on the increase, an ambitious owner. All positives for any decent player. Something stopped them, and any others we missed, was it fees/wages? OK they might have wanted a higher level of play but nothing else jumps out. Surely we could have sold the club to some bugger!!

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    We were very lucky to be where we were in January . This team simply ain't good enough and it hurts me to say so.
    I would say we were QUITE lucky to be second but the team did need strengthening, every Notts fan knew that. The problem lay in attack, our two main strikers are in their mid-thirties and our third choice, Forte, isn't breaking any pots so we get ONE striker in the last few minutes of the transfer window and him injury prone and on loan. Are we THAT strapped for cash that we couldn't compete with other Leagues 1 & 2 clubs for a proven goalscorer?

Alan Hardy has tried and succeeded to increase the fans enthusiasm in many ways but he ought to have a word in Nolan's ear about the attraction of genuine out and out talented goal-getters. Look at the Kop's reaction to Ameobi! Talent - see it? You rarely get that adoration for midfielders. If Ameobi had someone who could take advantage of his flick-ons we could be a real threat to any opponent.
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 18-02-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Just an honest question. We have only won 4 matches since the end on November - we are not winning against teams near the bottom of the table and sadly, we are just not playing well. I absolutely want us to get in to L1 but just feel despair at the way things are going at the moment. Another weekend ruined
    We do have the quality and the skill which we have seen on a few occasions, but for some reason the manager/coaching staff insist on playing to a system that by passes any skill or talent..

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Do you have to try hard to be such a plonker or does it come naturally ?

answer to the question is obviously no at present.
    "I know what the answer is - if you bothered to read the whole thread you would see that it was me who started it - the 'Why are we all being so negative etc' was 'tongue in cheek' but of course you wouldn't be able to pick that up

We have the quality, based on the first half of our campaign. The question is whether they'll click and go on a run again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    We have the quality, based on the first half of our campaign. The question is whether they'll click and go on a run again.
    We don't have the quality mate . Nolan knows that . He talks his lads up and why wouldn't he. I am just hoping we can limp over the line via the play offs .

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    OK, what made them unclick? We haven't got the quality or there is something wrong behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    OK, what made them unclick? We haven't got the quality or there is something wrong behind the scenes.
    Having known an ex professional for a number of years I sort of get how their mindset works, which is that they have high hopes in July/August, then it's very much going through the motions until Christmas, more or less like anyone else's job. Then if Christmas comes and goes and it's top 6 or better and it looks like it's going somewhere then their eyes light up and they really go for it. So based on that observation, with us being top 6 at this point you would expect the group of players to really give it their all. I would expect that any differences there are - if indeed there are any - would be put to one side for the next 6 weeks.

There are 4 or 5 players in this current team who came to Notts expecting to be winning things, not to be at the bottom of the league, get relegated, almost go out the league etc, so to be pushing at the top should be a great motivator for once.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We do have the quality and the skill which we have seen on a few occasions, but for some reason the manager/coaching staff insist on playing to a system that by passes any skill or talent..
    hoof ball?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast