+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alex 1 colchester 0...

Alex 1 colchester 0...

Not sure I can add that much really but will add my thoughts on this game..I'm not after brownie points for posting first but of late we have waited a while for any feedback sometime the next day. So here goes..I will allow others to comment on individual players performances apart from one or two as you will know them more than me..

There was a strange quiet atmosphere about the place but maybe expected with our predicament. Nice spring day with plenty of sunshine and good to see a live match for a change. First 20 mins nothing happened much on the pitch and it was all a bit scrappy with Colchester showing more quality in their midfield and forward play imo. We sat very deep and so very little to and from the front two although no real chances from either side. After about 20 minutes Ainsley put a great cross in from the right wing which was just headed over the bar by no 10 I think... and thought it was a real chance gone begging at that point. Not much happened then until the second half when again little being created from either side and both sides concentrating on defending. Nothing really to choose between the teams even though they are near the play off positions. Then we scored our goal and then the play became a bit more open as they were trying to get back into it but again no real chances created and thought we started to dominate the game more and had the odd chance here and there. But nothing of significance I can think of. I don't think Ben had much to do apart from long range efforts. It looked like a nil nil game for a long time.

Just to add that it was a scrappy goal with loads of players in the 6 yard box following a corner or free kick and I didn't see who poked the ball home from that range but the crowd roared with appreciation anyway and Andy the announcer didn't know either, until he confirmed a little later it was Shawn Miller. The crowd were still a bit strangely quiet until near the end when we were sensing a victory at long last and then the GRE started the handclap beat which spread to the main stand and wonder why we can't do that much earlier as it seemed to inspire the players more even at that late stage.

Ainsley showed great touches and has real talent and can see why the rave reviews but he didn't get that much service imo but that was due to how we were playing and he was subbed late on. He physique needs building up a touch though but he did get booked for a viscous tackle and shows these players can get stuck in when they want to..I Don't think Miller did much apart from the goal but credit where it's due when he scored the only goal of the game and a very valuable three points!

David Artell really needs to take a pill from his animated discussions with the officials which serves no purpose other than give him something to do. Kenny didn't show any passion and so maybe a good pair hey? The fourth official was a woman and so maybe DA had to be a bit more careful...

Not the best of games to watch but in the circumstances a really great three points hard earned by a pretty good defensive display....all imo of course folks..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 17-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Thought it was a hard fought victory with Colchester offering little..... But with Crewe you never know what's coming.....

Defence were solid in particular NG and Nolan. Green looks solid in midfield and Ainley easily our best player.....

Some silly mistakes as usual - silly giving away of possession... Kirk was woeful and deserved to be replaced.... Bowery for all his huff and puff was poor... Certainly missing daggers and porter and I think Jones will be a boost on his return....

But it's Crewe - never do anything the easy way. A great 3 points.... Let's keep it going... And credit where due.... they battled and nice to see some tackles going in

Wouldn't disagree with you on overall assessment Mike. (But it's Ainley not Ainsley, though I know you haven't seen him live as much as the rest of us. Also No 10 in Jordan Bowery.) At half time I thought we'd be lucky to get a point out of it, but taking Kirk off was the right move, with Tommy Lowery supplementing Green and Pickering better in midfield - thought we had a better shape from start of 1st half and after the goal as you say, they didn't really threaten the lead. By the way, those discussions were nothing to Artell's usual rants at the 4th official - as you say, maybe the woman kept him in check better! Other results went for us too, so a much better weekend than for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Wouldn't disagree with you on overall assessment Mike. (But it's Ainley not Ainsley, though I know you haven't seen him live as much as the rest of us. Also No 10 in Jordan Bowery.) At half time I thought we'd be lucky to get a point out of it, but taking Kirk off was the right move, with Tommy Lowery supplementing Green and Pickering better in midfield - thought we had a better shape from start of 1st half and after the goal as you say, they didn't really threaten the lead. By the way, those discussions were nothing to Artell's usual rants at the 4th official - as you say, maybe the woman kept him in check better! Other results went for us too, so a much better weekend than for a while.
    Ainley...ah thanks, I knew afterwards it was a wrong spelling but I knew you would all know who I meant..He does look a great prospect and shame the club may miss out on a big fee there..

DA is worse than that? He must miss a lot of the game ranting like that...

As you say a much better weekend with the results going for us. A win on Tues will be nice...

I think DA is losing his touch with the officials as it was Colchester's manager that got a ticking off from the referee yesterday

Got to raise your game Dave!!

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    i think da is losing his touch with the officials as it was colchester's manager that got a ticking off from the referee yesterday

got to raise your game dave!!