+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free agents

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Being slightly more realistic, these are the pick of page 2, Bargain Basement Strikers....available tomorrow, 135K and under

Pekka.......keeps his head down, especially if you sprinkle some corn in the oppo box, resembles Hawkridge minus a head
    Ousman Jalon....smells nice in the dressing room
    Ulrik.......used to be pretty good under a previous England manager!!
    Egeizy......for example, makes striking look easy
    Gnabouyou......seriously?.....not a kop favourite, we are gonna boo you....low on confidence bordering on suicidal
    Shumulin.....pretty good on a snow~covered pitch
    Borisov....not to be trusted, runs up debts then legs it
    Admir Catovic.....fancies himself too much, showboater
    Shpetim.....a bit phlegmy for me, comes with his own spittoon
    Arthuro....puts teams to the sword, good in a battle
    .....and finally, the cheapest of my picks at 45k.....Motov.....makes one el of a cocktail, but we could get burnt on this one
    ps...warning,some of these guys are older than Smith, Stead or Shola.....one or two are older than their combined total....the good news is that they come with a free bus pass, so we save on travel expenses

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    The thing about decent strikers is that they want a wage that reflects their contribution. AH in the past has talked about how deals can drag on discussing the odd £10 bonus here and there. But when it comes to the most important position on the pitch, I think you just have to suck it up and pay what it takes.

People will say we can't afford that, but I think we can't afford not to. Maybe if we had less midfielders eating up the budget, we could. I remember we nearly let Hughesie slip though the net and his agent said we just needed to up the offer a little bit. We did, and the rest is history. Not real money, I know, but sometimes Munto's decisions were better than those we have seen since. There is no value option when it comes to strikers.

Anyway, the ship has sailed now. We have not recruited properly and I doubt we will be promoted.
    I think we should bring back Charlie McParland ... as a scout!

As a manager he was decidedly average, but he seemed to know a good player when he saw one. Even before the Munto takeover he had identified Graeme Lee, Neil Bishop, Ricky Ravenhill, Craig Westcarr, Ben Davies and Lee Hughes as his targets. The only issue was that we probably wouldn't have got most of them without the Munto "budget".

I hear the "can we afford to sign a striker/can we afford not to" argument. What it boils down to is literally whether we have the money in the pot to gamble with. Back in the days of the Trust, fans said we must speculate to accumulate, but the cash simply wasn't there to lay down the stake. I don't know how good/bad the financial situation is now, but inevitably we would have a little more resource available if it hadn't been wasted on excessive numbers of midfielders and the "Class of 2018". It is now 2018 by the way, so I'm waiting....

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I remember the abuse on here last year when Akinfenwa's name was mentioned. All the usual nastiness about weight, age, etc. Yet he has been a real asset this season to Wycombe (the team I tipped for top at the start of the season).
    No you didn't.

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38198283

Remember everything you post, because drillerpie clearly will!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Remember everything you post, because drillerpie clearly will!
    Ahah yep! And then I'll come for you!

(Actually I just checked cause I started the season prediction thread and it was easy to find, otherwise probably wouldn't have bothered )

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    You've got me bang to rights there, Driller. However, in our (Probus) club at Scarborough, I honestly did go for Wycombe. It's horses for courses. Still, Wolves looks good and Blackburn are closing fast on Wigan & Shrewsbury.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    You've got me bang to rights there, Driller. However, in our (Probus) club at Scarborough, I honestly did go for Wycombe. It's horses for courses. Still, Wolves looks good and Blackburn are closing fast on Wigan & Shrewsbury.
    Yeah a potential 3 out of 4 for you there Sid!

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Charlie asked the same question post match, Nolan said they were looking at that possibility, but if nothing came of it he would be quite happy with the squad as it is, and that was the worrying statement for me.
    Well he would say he is happy with the squad. He certainly wouldn't admit to failure during the transfer window. In all, out of all the signings so far only Yates, Grant and Brisley have been any good. The rest are merely there to make the numbers up..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Well he would say he is happy with the squad. He certainly wouldn't admit to failure during the transfer window. In all, out of all the signings so far only Yates, Grant and Brisley have been any good. The rest are merely there to make the numbers up..
    Dan Jones and Ross Fitzsymons (sp?) ?

Like all players at our level they have good and bad games.

The rest have been poor.

**** me... it was only 2 weeks ago people were saying Husin is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Has Ameobi not been a good signing?
    I would also say Allesandra has been a good signing, when played on the wing.
    It’s a bit early to say whether Ben Hall is a good signing but his first 2 games have been promising.
    So all in all I think KN has assembled a decent squad and many of his signings have done well more often than not, which is why we are challenging at the right end of the table.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast