+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 227 of 625 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 6249

Thread: Derek McInnes

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post

I don't normally like pedantry but it would be good if people would stop spelling free rein with a g.
    It is the correct spelling lad, it’s you that made the error this time.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Top man...it was staring us all in the face. Bravo to you lad
    Cheers, sometimes it just too obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by redscot View Post
    Cheers, sometimes it just too obvious.
    Evidently

Mind you as I think about it maybe I cannot use Milne as he is Del’s boss...it’s a conflict of interest as such. Fantastic effort though and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    Milne may be particularly close to McInnes (although frankly I doubt that: they are guys from different generations with different lifestyles and personality types and I find it hard to imagine them as buddies, as opposed to having a very good professional relationship).

Even if he is, though, there's not a scrap of evidence that this has led to an over-generous appraisal of McInnes's abilities. Let's be clear, if Milne were to sack McInnes in the foreseeable future on the grounds that he wasn't doing a good enough job, the verdict of the professional game and the football media in Scotland would be that he'd completely taken leave of his senses. They wouldn't just think it was a mistake they would think it was an act of lunacy, and a vindictive and disloyal one that. He'd get absolutely slaughtered.

Milne's high opinion of McInnes isn't some mystery that needs explained by their personal relationship. He has the same high opinion as the vast majority of people who understand the game.

I don't normally like pedantry but it would be good if people would stop spelling free rein with a g.
    Agree with this. I don't really know what folk mean by McInnes getting "free rein". He's done a good job, that's why he's still got a job. Under his reign we've had our most successful spell as a club in decades (yes I am well aware we've only actually won 1 cup before someone points it out - but in terms of league position and performances in cups we've done pretty well). I would imagine the broad objectives set out for McInnes each year are something along the lines of "finish at least 3rd, get us to at least one cup final" or perhaps "achieve the same, or better than last year". Over the last few years he has achieved those objectives. I'm sure if we'd finished 5th or 6th in the league the last two years and been knocked out of the cups in the early rounds consistently he'd have been punted by now. And I'm sure if that happens in the next two years he'll be punted as well.

As stated above, Milne's opinion of McInnes isn't some weird, mysterious, personal love in... the vast majority of people would look at his record and say he's done well consistently since he arrived here. The only people who seem to disagree are a section of our own fans (and their opinion IS based on personal reasons, rather than his track record I would suggest).

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Agree with this. I don't really know what folk mean by McInnes getting "free rein". He's done a good job, that's why he's still got a job. Under his reign we've had our most successful spell as a club in decades (yes I am well aware we've only actually won 1 cup before someone points it out - but in terms of league position and performances in cups we've done pretty well). I would imagine the broad objectives set out for McInnes each year are something along the lines of "finish at least 3rd, get us to at least one cup final" or perhaps "achieve the same, or better than last year". Over the last few years he has achieved those objectives. I'm sure if we'd finished 5th or 6th in the league the last two years and been knocked out of the cups in the early rounds consistently he'd have been punted by now. And I'm sure if that happens in the next two years he'll be punted as well.

As stated above, Milne's opinion of McInnes isn't some weird, mysterious, personal love in... the vast majority of people would look at his record and say he's done well consistently since he arrived here. The only people who seem to disagree are a section of our own fans (and their opinion IS based on personal reasons, rather than his track record I would suggest).
    I don’t like him as we have had plenty opportunity to win more trophies but have consistently failed. We have for the best part only one team to beat and failed time after time thanks to McInnes and his negative attitude. When you play in finals you play to win the cup not to defend the opponent. Inverness in penalties is the only one trophy he will manage.

"I would imagine the broad objectives set out for McInnes each year are something along the lines of "finish at least 3rd, get us to at least one cup final""

Thats it in a nutshell, not one thing about winning something.

Loser p!sh, no ambition at all.

Quote Originally Posted by redscot View Post
    "I would imagine the broad objectives set out for McInnes each year are something along the lines of "finish at least 3rd, get us to at least one cup final""

Thats it in a nutshell, not one thing about winning something.

Loser p!sh, no ambition at all.
    If the objective was set as "Win the league and win a cup every year" - we'd be changing manager every season. Objectives have to be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I don’t like him as we have had plenty opportunity to win more trophies but have consistently failed. We have for the best part only one team to beat and failed time after time thanks to McInnes and his negative attitude. When you play in finals you play to win the cup not to defend the opponent. Inverness in penalties is the only one trophy he will manage.
    We've had opportunity to win cups because we've got to more finals under McInnes than any of his predecessors in recent memory. I get what you're saying - he is negative in his tactics, but to be fair that is the approach 90% of managers take when playing against teams who are superior to them in pretty much every area. I guess the philosophy is if we can prevent them scoring we only have to nick 1 to win, whereas if we open up and attack and lose 2 or 3 it makes it significantly harder to win. I know the response to that will be that we shipped 4 goals to them through the defensive tactics anyway and that is a fair point. That's the theory though and it is logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    If the objective was set as "Win the league and win a cup every year" - we'd be changing manager every season. Objectives have to be realistic.
    Correct. We would hav sacked Fergie after his second season if that was the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post
    Correct. We would hav sacked Fergie after his second season if that was the criteria.
    Fergie pretty much improved us year upon year during his stay. Can you really say that about our current manager?
    I know we cannot compare anyone with his tenure but I'd love to think that McInnes now has a clear plan of how to improve us with the funds available. I remain to be convinced.

Page 227 of 625 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227228229237277327 ... LastLast