+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 228 of 625 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 6249

Thread: Derek McInnes

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post
    Correct. We would hav sacked Fergie after his second season if that was the criteria.
    How many seasons has our current manager had?

Our Chairman is happy to play runner up to the bigot brothers, there is no threat to our manager as long as he is better than the rest...notice there is no winning required.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    It is the correct spelling lad, it’s you that made the error this time.
    It’s not.
    There’s no royalty involved.

It’s Free rein, as in into free the reins of the horse and let it go as it pleases.

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    Fergie pretty much improved us year upon year during his stay. Can you really say that about our current manager?
    I know we cannot compare anyone with his tenure but I'd love to think that McInnes now has a clear plan of how to improve us with the funds available. I remain to be convinced.
    McInnes has no real plan of how to improve us. Even in his most recent press reports he talks about keeping Celtic quiet (although he failed again). His whole mantra of playing Celtic is to stop them from scoring first and foremost. He needs to work far better on our attacking attributes and try and turn his team into thinking we can score goals more than we concede. You will win more trophies having a real go at the opposition rather than trying to contain them. The bare fact though is McInnes ain’t for changing so we won’t win anything else under him...that is the reality. If we want to win trophies and act like an ambitious club we need to get rid of the two obstacles that are holding us back (M&M).

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Agree with this. I don't really know what folk mean by McInnes getting "free rein". He's done a good job, that's why he's still got a job. Under his reign we've had our most successful spell as a club in decades (yes I am well aware we've only actually won 1 cup before someone points it out - but in terms of league position and performances in cups we've done pretty well). I would imagine the broad objectives set out for McInnes each year are something along the lines of "finish at least 3rd, get us to at least one cup final" or perhaps "achieve the same, or better than last year". Over the last few years he has achieved those objectives. I'm sure if we'd finished 5th or 6th in the league the last two years and been knocked out of the cups in the early rounds consistently he'd have been punted by now. And I'm sure if that happens in the next two years he'll be punted as well.

As stated above, Milne's opinion of McInnes isn't some weird, mysterious, personal love in... the vast majority of people would look at his record and say he's done well consistently since he arrived here. The only people who seem to disagree are a section of our own fans (and their opinion IS based on personal reasons, rather than his track record I would suggest).
    The historical comparison doesn't work for me, you cannot separate the manager from the times in which we was working in.

For instance, it's difficult to assess Ebbe Skovdahl's tenure when even clubs like Dundee were bringing experienced international players whilst we were making do with the likes of Phil McGuire & Ben Thornley.

McInnes hasn't had competition for much of his reign from Govan and even now it's very diluted. Hearts went into administration and were relegated, Hibs and Dundee United were in the second tier too. Only now is the old status quo beginning to re-assert itself (United aside)

McInnes needs to stop repeating his tactical mistakes and find a way to win silverware because as soon as this run of second places end, people like yourself will start calling for his head too.

However, my feeling is that the he's missed the chance to become more than a one cup wonder (the 2014 Scottish Cup was there on a plate for him after putting Celtic out at Parkhead) and he's now just wanting to maintain the steady performances and hope that another job that's attractive to him comes his way.
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 28-12-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    It’s not.
    There’s no royalty involved.

It’s Free rein, as in into free the reins of the horse and let it go as it pleases.
    So it does, my mistake. Queen Derek has a free reign....hope that helps my case?

Fergie pretty much improved us year upon year during his stay. Can you really say that about our current manager?
    I know we cannot compare anyone with his tenure but I'd love to think that McInnes now has a clear plan of how to improve us with the funds available. I remain to be convinced.
    There can be areas of improvement seen each year.
    Couple of seasons ago, we beat the records total with 76 points.
    The league has apparently been getting tougher, yet we remained in 2nd place.
    This year we returned to a cup final.

What’s your expectation, the only way to significantly improve further is to win the league or another cup.
    That’s extremely tough to do with our budget.
    Before anyone retorts with ICT, Ross County or Hibs etc, nobody has managed it since Brendon Rogers has come in.

So it goes back to Don_Corleone’s point.
    Can DM take us any further? Possibly not
    Who can realistically replace him to take us further? Still waiting to see those suggestions.

The point made earlier was that McInnes should win something and/or improve us year on year. Fergie did neither in season 1980/81 after winning the league in 1979/80. Using the strict criteria set down by Red John, Fergie therefore should have been sacked in 1981.

I don't think McInnes has improved us year on year but we have been pretty good under his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    There can be areas of improvement seen each year.
    Couple of seasons ago, we beat the records total with 76 points.
    The league has apparently been getting tougher, yet we remained in 2nd place.
    This year we returned to a cup final.

What’s your expectation, the only way to significantly improve further is to win the league or another cup.
    That’s extremely tough to do with our budget.
    Before anyone retorts with ICT, Ross County or Hibs etc, nobody has managed it since Brendon Rogers has come in.

So it goes back to Don_Corleone’s point.
    Can DM take us any further? Possibly not
    Who can realistically replace him to take us further? Still waiting to see those suggestions.
    Well if you're so keen on reaching finals Steven Robinson took Motherwell to both cup finals last season on far less a budget than McInnes

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Well if you're so keen on reaching finals Steven Robinson took Motherwell to both cup finals last season on far less a budget than McInnes

Oooffftt

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post
    The point made earlier was that McInnes should win something and/or improve us year on year. Fergie did neither in season 1980/81 after winning the league in 1979/80. Using the strict criteria set down by Red John, Fergie therefore should have been sacked in 1981.

I don't think McInnes has improved us year on year but we have been pretty good under his tenure.
    Absolute tosh...did Ferguson tell his team to contain Celtic/Rangers and ask his forwards to man mark players as the game was getting played? Did he heck...he told them to get right at them and show them we were better than they thought.
    McInnes is an absolute sh!tebag of a manager against Celtic and an absolute embarrassment as he sets his team up to only try to keep Celtic quiet. What kind of pathetic tactics are these...not a winning one that is for sure.

Page 228 of 625 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278328 ... LastLast