+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 625 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek McInnes

Quote Originally Posted by Stupie82 View Post
    3-0 loss to rangers - Considine, McKenna, Arnason, Logan, Oconner and Shinnie. That’s 6 defensive minded players, granted Shinnie is a midfielder for us, but he is defensive. Minus the goal keeper we had four players who we relied on to press the Huns, one of whom got sent off.
    So not all that dis-similar to the system or formation we'd used at Ibrox at the tail-end of last season, when Taylor , Reynolds and O'Connor all started with Logan and Considine in defence and Shinnie in midfield. Don't recall much criticism of McInnes for picking 6 defenders that night , or Shinnie being described as a defender ,especially when he scored the first goal early on from open play

In the 3-nil defeat this season ,McInnes would have been hoping that we'd have started on the front foot the same way we did that game last season. The problem was , he was relying on Tansey who turned out to be worse than useless that night

Anyway, if that's the only example of 6 defenders you can come up with , I'll stick to my view that it's a myth

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Away to Hibs earlier in the season ?

Although I doubt if this 6 defenders thing actually stands up to close scrutiny. Unless you're counting the goalie as one of the 6
    McInnes and his 4-2-3-1 formation relies on 6 defending outfield players. 2 sitting midfielders who are almost generally within touching distance of our back 4 is the way Del likes to play in far too many games. 1 player up top is a lazy manager’s thinking as it ultimately gives him little when up against the better players in competition.
    Del is a lazy manager who restricts his players from trying to keep pressuring good opponents.
    He actually went even lazier on Saturday with a back 5. Why McInnes would stick Mackay-Steven so deep against Hibs was stupidity. I hope his players had the balls to have a right go at him as he didn’t hold back by having a go at them after the match!

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    So not all that dis-similar to the system or formation we'd used at Ibrox at the tail-end of last season, when Taylor , Reynolds and O'Connor all started with Logan and Considine in defence and Shinnie in midfield. Don't recall much criticism of McInnes for picking 6 defenders that night , or Shinnie being described as a defender ,especially when he scored the first goal early on from open play

In the 3-nil defeat this season ,McInnes would have been hoping that we'd have started on the front foot the same way we did that game last season. The problem was , he was relying on Tansey who turned out to be worse than useless that night

Anyway, if that's the only example of 6 defenders you can come up with , I'll stick to my view that it's a myth
    Agreed.
    I'd also add that often you see Shinnie breaking the lines and running beyond the forwards.
    I don't believe we play with 2 rigid DM's as the midfielders are encouraged to rotate and utilise space created.

[edit]
    For clarity I meant the rigid being as players who are told to hold that position
    [/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Agreed.
    I'd also add that often you see Shinnie breaking the lines and running beyond the forwards.
    I don't believe we play with 2 rigid DM's as the midfielders are encouraged to rotate and utilise space created.

[edit]
    For clarity I meant the rigid being as players who are told to hold that position
    [/edit]
    Remind me how this formation works against the better teams in the league this season?
    I suggest we adopt a more positive formation and just don’t rely on hitting the likes of Celtic and Rangers on the break as that doesn’t work now as they have us worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    Remind me how this formation works against the better teams in the league this season?
    I suggest we adopt a more positive formation and just don’t rely on hitting the likes of Celtic and Rangers on the break as that doesn’t work now as they have us worked out.
    McInnes has tried a few differing strategies.
    He was more positive against Celtic at Pittodrie earlier this year, pushing guys forward and forcing Celtic to go long.
    It worked for about 5 minutes until Rogers countered it.

He tried a different strategy on Saturday in the second half.

Both are instances where it backfired, but I would not criticise McInnes for trying different strategies, although he does not appear to react if the in-game plan does not work out.

I think reverting to a more defensive game plan and hitting them on the break would be more succesful.
    Our issue has been around trying differing formations which has failed to work out.

He was more positive against Celtic at Pittodrie earlier this year, pushing guys forward and forcing Celtic to go long.
    It worked for about 5 minutes until Rogers countered it
    Easily the best paragraph I’ve read on here. Well played

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Easily the best paragraph I’ve read on here. Well played
    For the remaining 85 mins he was left scratching his head

Indeed a belter.

Surely that shows that he is a tactical fud

He tried a different strategy on Saturday in the second half.

Both are instances where it backfired, but I would not criticise McInnes for trying different strategies, although he does not appear to react if the in-game plan does not work out.

I think reverting to a more defensive game plan and hitting them on the break would be more succesful.
    Our issue has been around trying differing formations which has failed to work out.
    Would I be correct in guessing that your support of McInnes is wavering?
    Nothing wrong if that is the case. Sometimes it can take others longer to see weaknesses in managers and their tactics.

Good effort

Page 7 of 625 FirstFirst ... 567891757107507 ... LastLast