+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 67 of 625 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167567 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek McInnes

The most important thing to ask is would Fergie have persisted in playing Considine or would he have binned him like he did to his old man?

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    The most important thing to ask is would Fergie have persisted in playing Considine or would he have binned him like he did to his old man?
    Fergie would have won this league with his eyes shut! Players like Considine, O’Connor etc would have not played for long if ever. Being a bottler and a happy clapper was not allowed. You had to prove you deserved a place in the team and excepting defeat from the likes of Celtic and Rangers would not be tolerated (happy clapping)!

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    You should give that credit to Dick Donald.
    Fergie approached Dick Donald asking for funds to go buy seasoned players and was pointed tot he training pitch and told to work with the youngsters.
    Years later, Fergie then admitted he burnt out those youth players by over playing them.

I get it, there's a balance, but what I've seen so far from the likes of Wright, is that there is not enough consistency and often poor decision making, hence he's not nailed down a first team place yet.
    I actually think Frank Ross has a better chance long term and he's currently gaining experience with Morton.
    I recall reading an interview with Fergie where he expressed regret at the demands he put on the young crop at the Dons, remember the cream, Simmie, Cooper, Black, Hewitt were all done at the highest level by 30ish.

He said he put the lessons he learned there into Giggs and those that came after at Man U, by shepherding them along and not demanding too much too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackjarvis View Post
    In between pointing to the red ash across the road he also gave SAF the money for the record transfer fee paid in Scotland for the gas meter along with giving SAF sufficient funds to make the dons team at that time the highest paid in Scotland, hence a few had decent careers with us........Mr Donald was an excellent chairman, sadly his loon and the present incumbent could not follow in his footsteps.

SF
    Dick was yer archetypal, parsimonious Aberdonian.
    The vision and drive came from Chris.

Together they made a formidable double act.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    There was much talk of burnout at the time (or very soon afterwards at least)

Personally I would say he got them to the peak of their careers at an early age.

Far too much emphasis is put on age nowadays.

Your best striker might be 16, play him now.
    He might be no good by 20
    Problem nowadays is nae reserve fitba.

That's where young lads got toughened up, the jump fae 19s to first team is too big and the young lads arenae streetwise enough.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post

That's where young lads got toughened up, the jump fae 19s to first team is too big and the young lads arenae streetwise enough.
    It is a huge jump.
    In recent years that’ll be why the number of players who’ve gone on loan has maybe increased.
    Playing first team games for the likes of Morton, St Mirren, Ayr is better than playing against boys of 17,18,19.
    Then again, there’s not many DM has sent on loan that’s improved.
    Pawlett for 6 months?
    Scott McKenna.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post

Fitba changed a long time back, quite a few of the clubs could not afford a big squad, hence we have midweek U20 games for younger players learning their trade and seasoned pros rehabilitation after injury, been to a few U20 games and do enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    It is a huge jump.
    In recent years that’ll be why the number of players who’ve gone on loan has maybe increased.
    Playing first team games for the likes of Morton, St Mirren, Ayr is better than playing against boys of 17,18,19.
    Then again, there’s not many DM has sent on loan that’s improved.
    Pawlett for 6 months?
    Scott McKenna.
    Was it not Craig Brown that sent Pawlett out on loan? By McKenna`s own admission his loan spell at Ayr was not a success. When McInnes sends a player out on loan it seems to be the end of their Dons career. Cammy Smith, Lawrence Shankland, Declan McManus and Craig Storie all did well out on loan but never returned. And then there is Danny Rogers who has been out on several loans, done well each time but wasnt trusted to do his job when the chance arose. Like i`ve said before and i`m sure I will again, McInnes is way too overly cautious.

He’s not to cautious to sign the goal machine Sam Cosgrove from league 2 I’m sure none of our youths could be as prolific as him

I think our players get sent out in loan too late. Frank Ross is 20 & all we’re asking him to do is play football. It looks like he does it quite well so he should be in our squad, rather than Mortons. If he doesn’t make it, then Morton aren’t going anywhere & he can play for them in his own time.

Page 67 of 625 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167567 ... LastLast