+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Six straight losses, at the start of 1986-87

Six straight losses, at the start of 1986-87

This was mentioned on Bbs today (on the Ian Walsh thread), and it got me thinking, did any of us at that time either boo our manager Clarkie or even worse, did any of us want him out ?.
    Look at how managers get sacked for less than that these days, and there was no greedy win at all costs and cheat if you have to mentality back then, which has all come in since then because of the Premship of course.

As it happens we had a great turnaround from the new year onwards and finished near mid table that season, and it makes the decision not to panic and sack Clarkie look like a good one.
    It reminded me as well of us winning a rare game away at Sunderland - Roker park on the last day (from 2-0 down we won it 2-3), and they not only had to go into old and since scrapped relegation style play offs. They lost of course and went down as a result lol.

My main point for this thread anyway is what if boards like this and Bbs, and the radio phone in stations had existed in those days, how many of us would have been going apesh*it after those 6 straight losses in Aug-Sep ?.

In old days people went to match and edda reyt natter abart it after, in pub or at work.

Nardays mooist a these "fans" on social media dunt gu near grarnd except fo big games and then give it large abart this and that.

While ever we had good solid pro's like Clive Baker , Joe Joyce , Paul Futcher , Larry May , Gwyn Thomas and Stuart Gray we were always going to turn it around that season and we did comfortably .

John Beresford and Steve Agnew were emerging talents and once he got fit Rodger Wylde knew where the onion bag was .

A few of them today would see us more than alreight .

I also seem to remember the club nearly went out business in the summer of 1986 and it was only by selling David Hirst that we kept ourselves going .

Clarkie part two didn't have a penny to scratch his @ss with and had to mek do with free transfers and young un's like Mark Ogley , Ian Chandler , Darren Foreman and Mick Clarke .

I think most of us accepted Clarkie had a difficult job and I can't remember fans moaning and groaning and looking back at what he had to deal with I'd probably be the same today .

I guess the usual suspects would be wanting to hang him from a tree after losing the first two games today .

When you think back to those players you mentioned Animal, there was a right mix of quality and grafters in that side.
    Also it didn't help that we'd lost some real striking talent as David Hirst, Gordon Owen, & Ian Walsh had all left.
    Somebody explained to me on the other board that this is why Clarkie even went with Gwyn Thomas as a makeshift striker alongside Carl Bradshaw. And it helped that Stuart Gray still knew where the net was despite being played all over the pitch.