+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: do we have enough to make the playoffs?

We are the runner who sat behind the leader in the marathon then got passed out of sight at the second drink station, dropped down the field and finished off the pace but at the front of the main body. 10th it is. Queenie predicted it at the start.

Not a cat in hell's chance, but something to build on to have a go next season.

Priorities have been all wrong !
    Instead of strengthening the team and adding quality we have instead got a lovely indoor pitch, prem quality changing rooms, brand new dining facilities but sadly an old slow ageing strike force.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    Instead of strengthening the team and adding quality we have instead got a lovely indoor pitch, prem quality changing rooms, brand new dining facilities but sadly an old slow ageing strike force.
    But AH is convinced he's delivered on a stronger squad at the end of Jan compared to the beginning of Jan.

I guess losing out on a striker target may have meant other opportunities were missed, and only getting one game out of the one we did get is less than lucky. But as I said at the time leaving things to the last day is a poor way to run any business.

Just playing with some figures

First 15 games, W9 D3 L3 30pts
    Next 15 games, W6 D6 L3 24pts

Trend/recent form if anything is downward so without some turnaround in fortune we'll be lucky to match 24pts in the last 16 games.

We are still living off the unbeaten 25 out of 27 points run at the beginning of the season (9 games) and we need to reproduce it if a decent shot at getting out of this league is going to happen. We don't seem to be showing signs of that though but best judge when everyone is over this bug. Maybe Smudge needs to find some strikers boots for a few games.

After the start we had I think we are all a little disappointed how things have gone recently,but in reality this season has been better than most expected.The bookies have us at 1-6 on to reach the playoffs,and at those odds they are rarely wrong.

I usually sit high up in the Kop, but at the Lincoln away game, got a much better view of what the mindset and approach of the team was.

At the start of the second half I was really disappointed at how we were set up to just grind out the draw, and how negative our attitude seemed to be. We were battered that half and really lucky to get out with a point. I can’t help think that we’re struggling to get on the front foot against poor teams away which is what we’re gonna need to do cos I can’t see us beating many of the top teams we have to play at home. Jorgie in particular really needs to step up his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Maybe Smudge needs to find some strikers boots for a few games.
    Please, no! I remember he was fantastic for Leeds at Barca away in the Champions League, but his game was closing down the defenders so they couldn't clear the ball. That, however, was a very long time ago.

In answer to the question, we may sneak into the last place but it would be like Bradford again. We're just not good enough. I think the Hardy era may be another false dawn and fans are voting with their feet with 3,000 crowds. There is clearly no alternative but I can't buy into this, however good the marketing is.

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    It won't matter how old the strike force is if we use the tactics of hoofing the ball high up field to someone with 2/3 defenders around him. We missed the chance to sign a decent central defender in the summer as well as a couple of strikers and again the latter in January.
    Yes we have exceeded expectations after last season but I for one will be very disappointed if we miss out on promotion now.

Would love to see us in the play offs but sadly just cannot see it happening unless KN changes the tactics and quick. I started the thread "do we the quality to get automatic promotion' and you know what, I believe we DO have the quality - we just need to use the players skills better that we are currently and that means changing the way we play.
    Last edited by BanjoPie; 18-02-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Now the dust has settled and I am around £180 lighter, ( for the record, I have spent a lot of money not unlike others following Notts over the years but never felt I have wasted a penny) I can see Nolan's reasoning . He's fully aware we ain't good enough for automatic promotion so is hoping we can grab a play off place .Newport were there for the taking but does he stick or twist . I would love a gung ho approach but would rather draw 0-0 than lose 5-4 if truth be told. Lets hope we can get into the play offs ,( we wont meet Mansfield , pains me to say but they will go up automatically ) and take it from there .

ps. Whatever happens this season I hope my lad doesn't discover girls before the next, I hate going on my own!
    Last edited by navypie; 18-02-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast