+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This run will end at some point but ...........

Yes I think it's because we are the nearest club to them but they are not the nearest club to us

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    ................ please NOT next Saturday !
    100% agree, this is a game I’ll certainly be upset about if we lose, can’t stand some of their fans.
    They always seem to have something to say about us even when we weren’t in same league. Obsessed

If we continue to play, and press and work like we are then we'll get a result i think, there's always gunna be a banana skin somewhere along the line when you're on runs like this but i really think that we've got more than the peg sellers can handle in this game, particularly going forward.

Got a feeling this could be a bit of a banana skin for us, they seem confident and up for it. On paper we should win comfortably, but who knows what will happen on the day. Reminds me a bit of when we played Sheff U in our promotion season, everyone went there expecting a comfortable win and we all know what happened.......

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    In 2001 I was on a training course. On the first day everybody had to say a few words about themselves. We had just achieved back to back promotions with King Ronnie and Donny were non-league. I mentioned that I was a Millers fan. Going round the room we eventually got to this bloke who said "I am a Donny Rovers fan so I obviously hate him, but I don't suppose he's bothered about us now that they are playing the likes of Wednesday"

I said that I was never particularly bothered about Donny, regardless of the league we were in. Apart from schooldays in Maltby when we had kids from Tickhill, Rossington, Edlington at the school that's always been the case.

Donny see us as their main rivals - the team they love to beat - and they seem to resent that we don't feel the same way about them. It's really not a matter of disrespect it's just the way it is. We have a city team just down the road with more than their fair share of arrogant supporters, most of them show little or no respect for our team or our town and, for most of us, they are the team we love to beat. Obviously the massive don't feel the same about us, for valid reasons, but I don't care. I can take more pleasure in beating them than anyone else without feeling slighted because the feeling is not reciprocal.

I'm not sure why Donny dislike us so much. I don't consider we come across as acting superior to them (apart from the odd idiot on Radio Sheffield) We are similar sized clubs in similar sized towns with roughly similar histories. Perhaps it's because we are their nearest neighbours.

On Saturday, a local derby played before a full house, my attitude will change. For that day I will be desperate for us to beat them and claim the bragging rights but, more importantly, keep our fantastic run going.

After that I wish them well.
    I'm not sure about the "roughly similar histories" bit Wrinkly.
    I don't remember us spending any time in the Conference and we've certainly never had a chairman who hired people to torch the old ground so we could have a new one 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    Got a feeling this could be a bit of a banana skin for us, they seem confident and up for it. On paper we should win comfortably, but who knows what will happen on the day. Reminds me a bit of when we played Sheff U in our promotion season, everyone went there expecting a comfortable win and we all know what happened.......
    Yeh McGuire was a cheating runt and the ref bought a cheap penalty!

Thing is it all turned out well.... we went up Blades stayed down ..... happy times then.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I'm not sure about the "roughly similar histories" bit Wrinkly.
    I don't remember us spending any time in the Conference and we've certainly never had a chairman who hired people to torch the old ground so we could have a new one ��
    We had at least one chairman who would have done if he'd have thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    We had at least one chairman who would have done if he'd have thought of it.
    Allegedly 😊

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12