+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: do we have enough to make the playoffs?

Question: do we have enough to make the playoffs?

Plenty of responses to the 'Do we have enough to make automatic' thread, although the vast majority agree that we don't.

I think the key question now is whether have enough to secure a playoff place. Current form is mid-table, and with Crawley surging up the table and Exeter with a couple of games in hand, and can see both of those catching up. We've got a tough run-in too, what with Accy away and the Stags, Wycombe, Coventry and Luton at home. I'm afraid to say I have little confidence in the current side putting together a solid run or stringing consecutive wins together.

So it's a tough call. If I were forced to choose I'd say we'll probably just miss out, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I know this sounds negative, but it's an honest appraisal of our side based on the games I've seen this season. Whatever happens, I've loved this season so far. Some great wins (Lincoln at home, Bristol Rovers, Swindon, etc.) and some great goals. Frustration and disappointed are part and parcel of being a football fan, especially if you support a team like Notts. And whatever happens, we're certainly moving in the right direction after a long period of regression.

I would say no. Goes without saying that I would love to be wrong. Take the last 3 games and I have been to them all.
    Barnet we were terrible.
    Carlisle we were lucky. I actually thought Stead's 2nd was offside.
    Newport( still here by the way ,waiting for brekkie to open then we wont be able to get out of here fast enough ) , see Barnet.

ps , It's half term this week so I asked my lad if he wanted to go to Cambridge and experience a midweek away match for the first time. I gotta admit that I was petty relieved when he said no.

No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    No chance.
    We have ‘a chance’. How big that chance is is down to opinion.
    Stating no chance is implying that is is impossible. That it is not.
    I think Notts may get away with picking up 18 points from the remaining games. Can we do that? We have a chance and I would hope we pick a fair few of that from the next 6 games.
    Obviously I would hope we picked up maximum points from the remaining fixtures, is that likely to happen? Almost no chance 😜

Here's an impartial view of our chances from my mates the bookies:

Promotion - 11/8 (42% chance)
    Top 7 finish - 1/6 (86% chance)
    To finish outside top 7 - 4/1 (20% chance)

Anyone who is convinced we won't make the play-offs get over to Skybet, the 4/1 looks very generous to me.

Enough to make the playoffs, not enough to win them.

I think we have enough for the playoffs & possibly automatic but the question is does KN think we have enough? looking at some of the negative tactics he employs even against the poorer sides in the league the answer seems no.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    I think we have enough for the playoffs & possibly automatic but the question is does KN think we have enough? looking at some of the negative tactics he employs even against the poorer sides in the league the answer seems no.
    According to Nolo, every one of these "poor" teams is raising their game against the Mighty Notts because we were 2nd for so long ie Barnet, FGR.......the clever tactic was to drop to 5th.....so now we can pick up some easy points......smart move by pretending that we have lost the plot......Automatic Promo it is then!!

ps just watched the "highlights" just in case I missed some action yesterday.....errrr, nope.....Steady had a banana shot from range, one melee in the box, saved by keeper.....and they threw in the Grant free kick just to replay the "ooooooo" from the crowd......my masochistic side is waiting for the extended highlights, apparently the "oooooooooo" is slightly longer my sources tell me......happy days
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 18-02-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    According to Nolo, every one of these "poor" teams is raising their game against the Mighty Notts because we were 2nd for so long ie Barnet, FGR.......the clever tactic was to drop to 5th.....so now we can pick up some easy points......smart move by pretending that we have lost the plot......Automatic Promo it is then!!
    So the spoof account is on the ball then, more real than the real thing:

Alan Hardy Fans
    ‏ @Bigalanha5
    2h2 hours ago

Fifth place is exactly where my #3YearPlan said we would be in mid February. Like @Mo_Farah in a 20,000m race we are in the rather large slipstream of big Steve Evans ready for a final assault and push for automatic promotion #Trust #Notts #Stags #championship2020 👍👍

THIS IS FROM THE PARODY ACCOUNT NOT FROM THE REAL AH FOR THOSE HARD OF HEARING

The real AH has said today:

Alan Hardy
    ‏Verified account @Bigalanh5
    1h1 hour ago

Alan Hardy Retweeted Andy Squire

Guess the end of the season has moved to the middle of February now 🤔😂😂😂

Alan Hardy added,
    Andy Squire
    @andysquire_stag
    Replying to @Bigalanha5 @Bigalanh5 @NewportCounty
    Mind the gap.....you got a little excited when you had a 10 point lead over us 😂 back to being 3rd best team in Notts....
    1 reply 0 retweets 2 likes

Easy to get confused isn't it?

Drawing away is fine if you win your home matches of course but each away draw puts more pressure on us to win at home. We have 6 home matches (18 pts) and 7 away (7 Pts) which would put us on 83 points which would be comfortably playoffs and possibly automatic. The problem of course though is we have to play 3 teams above us at home.
    Last edited by LaughingMagpie; 18-02-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast