+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nile Ranger:

How to turn the club TOXIC in one easy move.....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    How to turn the club TOXIC in one easy move.....
    Get Britney to do a half time show ?

Get him in on a pay as you play deal and get shot if he is kicking off backstage... I saw him play a few times and he does have something about him... we seriously need more options up top so get him in and lets see what he can do

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Get him in on a pay as you play deal and get shot if he is kicking off backstage... I saw him play a few times and he does have something about him... we seriously need more options up top so get him in and lets see what he can do
    Been following this with interest, as a Southend fan. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Nile might get another chance. After all, football clubs are always willing to go with heart over head when it comes to a talented but flawed individual. For your benefit, I'm going to attempt to summarise his time with us and maybe it might help you decide whether it is the right move.

When Ranger first signed for us I was very dubious, like most. However, arriving during pre-season it was apparent he was working hard, getting his head down and trying to impress.

His long line of convictions suggest a total bell end with disregard for respect, honesty and a problem in the dressing room. In truth, for most of his time at Southend he was well liked off the pitch. His problems stem from never having had any boundaries in life, which led to him mixing with the wrong people when he was younger. He had the lot at a very young age without having to work too hard but when the hard work had to start, it seems he couldn't keep up.

His major problems are timekeeping and a lack of discipline away from the club. He likes a late night and a drink, which he managed to rein in during the first six months or so with us - and we saw a real player during that time. On the pitch, he has no discipline problems. He is a threat with the ball at his feet and in the air. He is a selfless player - his low goal ratio belies the work he does and space he creates for his team mates. He won't score 20 goals, but you might find you lose very few games with him in the team.

Sadly, it didn't last forever. This season saw him regularly late for training and poor on the pitch, suggesting he had gone back to his old ways. Rumours suggest he sometimes turned up stinking of booze. When the team was struggling, there was nowhere to hide for him and his team mates started to get fed up with his lax attitude. When one player is allowed to get away with it, things quickly collapse at a football club and other players started getting into trouble, cliques started forming. We were losing and badly, plummeting towards relegation. In the end, there was little option but to get rid of him and lament a wasted talent. Oh, he's bloody injury-prone too, he won't be fit and will miss a lot of games through niggly injuries.

Every manager, every club, thinks they can change him. But the only person that can change Nile Ranger, is Nile Ranger, and he doesn't seem particularly bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Why not?

Notts County are sinking quickly.

I he gives us a better chance of going up. and beating mansfield all the better.

A wild card is maybe just what Notts need
    I agree. The alternative is we stick with 'One touch' Stead and 'Amble' Ameobi. Don' get me wrong. I like both players but they are being found out by quicker and younger defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I agree. The alternative is we stick with 'One touch' Stead and 'Amble' Ameobi. Don' get me wrong. I like both players but they are being found out by quicker and younger defenders.
    So do I. If he behaved himself for 3 or 4 months, that would prob be enuff for us then, get rid.

Quote Originally Posted by witham View Post
    Been following this with interest, as a Southend fan. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Nile might get another chance. After all, football clubs are always willing to go with heart over head when it comes to a talented but flawed individual. For your benefit, I'm going to attempt to summarise his time with us and maybe it might help you decide whether it is the right move.

When Ranger first signed for us I was very dubious, like most. However, arriving during pre-season it was apparent he was working hard, getting his head down and trying to impress.

His long line of convictions suggest a total bell end with disregard for respect, honesty and a problem in the dressing room. In truth, for most of his time at Southend he was well liked off the pitch. His problems stem from never having had any boundaries in life, which led to him mixing with the wrong people when he was younger. He had the lot at a very young age without having to work too hard but when the hard work had to start, it seems he couldn't keep up.

His major problems are timekeeping and a lack of discipline away from the club. He likes a late night and a drink, which he managed to rein in during the first six months or so with us - and we saw a real player during that time. On the pitch, he has no discipline problems. He is a threat with the ball at his feet and in the air. He is a selfless player - his low goal ratio belies the work he does and space he creates for his team mates. He won't score 20 goals, but you might find you lose very few games with him in the team.

Sadly, it didn't last forever. This season saw him regularly late for training and poor on the pitch, suggesting he had gone back to his old ways. Rumours suggest he sometimes turned up stinking of booze. When the team was struggling, there was nowhere to hide for him and his team mates started to get fed up with his lax attitude. When one player is allowed to get away with it, things quickly collapse at a football club and other players started getting into trouble, cliques started forming. We were losing and badly, plummeting towards relegation. In the end, there was little option but to get rid of him and lament a wasted talent. Oh, he's bloody injury-prone too, he won't be fit and will miss a lot of games through niggly injuries.

Every manager, every club, thinks they can change him. But the only person that can change Nile Ranger, is Nile Ranger, and he doesn't seem particularly bothered.
    Interesting perspective, thanks!

Sign him up then if he turns up late or stinking of booze then get rid. We need an injection of something to keep in the playoff hunt, can't see Stead and Ameobi getting more energetic as the season gets longer. His pros outweigh his cons at this stage of the season.

don't think there would be any complaints if he signed & bagged a hatrick, give it a go from me.
    Need something to change

Quote Originally Posted by binghampies View Post
    don't think there would be any complaints if he signed & bagged a hatrick, give it a go from me.
    Need something to change
    A hattrick - an eighth of his entire career goals. 24 goals in his professional career would strongly suggest that won't happen. Multiple sackings and convictions would suggest just that, again.

As Witham suggests, each manager thinks they will be able to get him on the straight and narrow but you can't polish a turd unfortunately. He ain't no Hughes who was actually worth it because he was a natural goalscorer.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast