+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lascelles

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    so why did it take him so long
    diame according to most hasbeen dire for all of last season and most of this

i reckon he upped his game about the transfer window and when we played further up the field

lets see how he does at bournemouth
    who have a small pitch the game will be compact and they either concede a lot or score a lot
    Exactly how small is their pitch???
    You do realise there are strict guidelines on width/length? or maybe you don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    I did think Dubravka made a big difference in the Man Utd game mind - he was making his back 4 aware of everything from the first minute onwards. Doesn't matter how good a defender you are, if you're running toward your own goal you can't see what's directly behind you, and having a keeper you trust telling you which call to make is a massive help.
    Yep totally agree..

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    You do realise there are strict guidelines on width/length? or maybe you don't...
    It's actually the same size as St. James', and one of the bigger ones in the league, but I know what he means

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    yep
    and you have a wide discrepancy in which to bend te rules
    for instance 90 meters long to a maximum of 120 so a big range also in the width 45to 85-90 meters wide

although they do have to meet a ratio

so not all that strict

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    It's actually the same size as St. James', and one of the bigger ones in the league, but I know what he means
    the pitch is but you can and they do move the lines in and out

bothe about 7000 square meters

the pitch is but you can and they do move the lines in and out

bothe about 7000 square meters
    Aye, so even within the square footage you can have longer pitches, or narrower pitches... that's why I said I know what you mean. But is their pitch longer than ours, or narrower? Both create two totally different problems. But only one of them benefits Bournemouth's style of play, which is to make the pitch narrower so they can move the ball quickly across the width with a short passing game. However, that also plays into our hands a bit given Benitez's watchword is 'compact', meaning he likes to flood the central area with bodies. And if it's longer, that's usually helpful to teams playing long balls or trying to beat the offside trap. We don't play the offside trap high enough up the pitch for that to be a worry, and I don't expect to face a team playing hoofball. Presumably it's shorter and wider?
    Last edited by Andy1981_2; 20-02-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added detail

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    he signed for us as a championship player with potential, to be fair, as recently as last year he was still that.

now he is being watched by the England manager and is more than just our captain, he is a ***** part of our defence and inspirational to his team / club.

not bad for a lack of progression.
    Aye, this.

He's a hugely improved player from even last season when I thought he looked pretty shaky quite often-letting the ball bounce and getting caught, being pulled out of position...now, though...first name on the teamsheet.

In fact, I challenge anyone to think of a player in our recent history who has actually improved so much in so short a time period.

And, actually, there's a lot more to come from him. There's a danger of us going overboard about him precisely because he has come on so well but no-one believes he's the finished article. Like any defender he'll make some mistakes and with the way we often let the opposition have more of the ball he's going to come under more than his fair share of pressure but he's made great progress and will, imo, continue to do so-hopefuly with us.

yep
    and you have a wide discrepancy in which to bend te rules
    for instance 90 meters long to a maximum of 120 so a big range also in the width 45to 85-90 meters wide

although they do have to meet a ratio

so not all that strict
    well if you look carefully at st james you,ll see they never change the pitch size

lascelles wont reach his potential here due to the players he is with and the coaching staff

as for england
    is he going to get in ahead of jones smalling or keane
    i would say the lad from burnley and leicester would get a jump on laselles as well

however playing with better players over a longer period i have no doubts he would be progressing quicker

however playing with better players over a longer period i have no doubts he would be progressing quicker
    This is true of any player, though. Can't use that as one of your many sticks to beat us with.

*breaks stick and throws it away

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)