+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lascelles

Lascelles

Some on here (well, one user) may not think he's developed enough during his time here, but I think he has; and he's certainly saying all the right things. Well done JL. Now go get us a win on Saturday!

https://tinyurl.com/y7tngbje

he signed for us as a championship player with potential, to be fair, as recently as last year he was still that.

now he is being watched by the England manager and is more than just our captain, he is a ***** part of our defence and inspirational to his team / club.

not bad for a lack of progression.

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    he signed for us as a championship player with potential, to be fair, as recently as last year he was still that.

now he is being watched by the England manager and is more than just our captain, he is a ***** part of our defence and inspirational to his team / club.

not bad for a lack of progression.
    You could also say, he could be the reason for Diames sudden upturn in form.A clip roond the lug never harmed anybody,captains job to do this and he did it.
    I love Alan Shearer but even he failed to control Bellas/Dyer/Bowyer,saying that like it was some dressing room that.
    I see Nolan might give Nile Ranger a chance at Notts County,he might just be the sort to control him.Rangers a total co ck don't get me wrong and it might be too late but the lad looked like a future star he had the skill..

he still hasnt reached his potential

and i doubt he will here

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    You could also say, he could be the reason for Diames sudden upturn in form.A clip roond the lug never harmed anybody,captains job to do this and he did it.
    I love Alan Shearer but even he failed to control Bellas/Dyer/Bowyer,saying that like it was some dressing room that.
    I see Nolan might give Nile Ranger a chance at Notts County,he might just be the sort to control him.Rangers a total co ck don't get me wrong and it might be too late but the lad looked like a future star he had the skill..
    so why did it take him so long
    diame according to most hasbeen dire for all of last season and most of this

i reckon he upped his game about the transfer window and when we played further up the field

lets see how he does at bournemouth
    who have a small pitch the game will be compact and they either concede a lot or score a lot

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    he still hasnt reached his potential

and i doubt he will here
    His only real development as a first team player has been at Newcastle. He didn't even play a full Championship season for Forest, so there's no reason to think he won't continue to develop. And, as a qualified football coach, I'm sure you know that because of the particular position he plays in we shouldn't expect him to reach his potential for a good 5 or 6 years yet. To clarify (for everyone else's benefit), what I mean is that centre-back is all about maturity and experience - once you've learned the game you can compensate for any physical attributes you lack that help in that position - height, pace, strength etc. In Lascelles' case, he has all the physical attributes he needs too, so it's no wonder he's being talked about in terms of an England call-up.

Well said Andy.

I think in Lascelles case he's doing brilliantly well for us.

He has every chance of reaching his potential here. He wouldn't be as far along as he is now i don't think if he hadn't been playing all these games. I agree with Pboro to a degree on the other thread where he said an older head would be good alongside him, that i also think is true but to say he'll not reach his potential here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Well said Andy.

He has every chance of reaching his potential here. He wouldn't be as far along as he is now i don't think if he hadn't been playing all these games. I agree with Pboro to a degree on the other thread where he said an older head would be good alongside him, that i also think is true but to say he'll not reach his potential here.
    If anything, you could make the case that because experience is crucial for learning that position he's actually done better here than he'd have done elsewhere... there are few other top flight clubs that would make a 23 year old their captain and the core of their defence, so any PL experience he'd be getting elsewhere would be more limited. I agree with pboro that it's a big ask of the guy, but it's also a reflection of Rafa's courage and good judgement that it seems to have worked out. McClaren preferred to stick with Colo during our relegation season despite him showing a real lack of leadership and interest, even after being handed a new contract at the start of that season. It's good to see someone take a chance on youth (not that we had a whole lot of options either like!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Well said Andy.

Rafa and his team of "world class coaches" have improved him beyond our wildest dreams.
    And divvint agree with eejits Jamster,Lascelles is the older head he's mature beyond his years..He's the boss simples,if we signed John Terry in the last window,he would be screaming at him to get in to position!!

Ps Beardsley and his clown operation should be fired immediatley!! for lack of coaching..
    Last edited by ashingtoon62; 20-02-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: an afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    Rafa and his team of "world class coaches" have improved him beyond our wildest dreams.
    And divvint agree with eejits Jamster,Lascelles is the older head he's mature beyond his years..He's the boss simples,if we signed John Terry in the last window,he would be screaming at him to get in to position!!

Ps Beardsley and his clown operation should be fired immediatley!! for lack of coaching..
    I did think Dubravka made a big difference in the Man Utd game mind - he was making his back 4 aware of everything from the first minute onwards. Doesn't matter how good a defender you are, if you're running toward your own goal you can't see what's directly behind you, and having a keeper you trust telling you which call to make is a massive help.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)