+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James McLean

James McLean

Overall with a bit more luck we could have beaten Southampton last Saturday, I think McLean deserves another start this week as for me he more than played his part. I'm hoping he's learnt from his previous costly 'wrecking ball' incidents some weeks back and can carry on from where he left off last week. He's short on quality at times but for sheer endeavour up and down the flank he gets my nod for Huddersfield on Saturday.

We're in a scrap for our lives now, he's got the fight in him, hopefully it will become more infectious if picked.

Thoughts?

To me he's an enigma. On one hand he gives 110% and can make a real difference to a game, on the other, he is a walking red card and gives away silly free kicks in dangerous areas. As the saying goes, you have to take him 'warts and all'. I will agree that if some of our other players showed his commitment and enthusiasm we might not be in the position we are now. As to whether he'd be in my starting eleven, I'm not sure.

It’s a no from me, can’t afford to pick up a red card in a must win game and also need some creativity which he has zero

Play him for his commitment & enthusiasm & he will probably get sent off .

Played well on Saturday,and seems to of learned where on the pitch to be carefull with his tackles

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny on the spot 1 View Post
    Play him for his commitment & enthusiasm & he will probably get sent off .
    Now the stats come into play Jots 150 games 1 red card how much of a risk is that

https://www.premierleague.com/player...-McClean/stats

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    To me he's an enigma. On one hand he gives 110% and can make a real difference to a game, on the other, he is a walking red card and gives away silly free kicks in dangerous areas. As the saying goes, you have to take him 'warts and all'. I will agree that if some of our other players showed his commitment and enthusiasm we might not be in the position we are now. As to whether he'd be in my starting eleven, I'm not sure.

Could not have put it better! As for starting - it's a no for me! If we take the drop though - he would be one to keep!

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    Now the stats come into play Jots 150 games 1 red card how much of a risk is that

https://www.premierleague.com/player...-McClean/stats
    Fair play Murph , but has been substituted a few time when on a yellow for his own sake but will say he does give 100%

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Could not have put it better! As for starting - it's a no for me! If we take the drop though - he would be one to keep!
    Can’t comment. However, from what I do know I agree he could be an asset in the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    Can’t comment. However, from what I do know I agree he could be an asset in the Championship
    Thay may be about his level the championship ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)