+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Cambridge Utd. 20/02/18

Ameobi played 2nd half, so how many games is he out for

Not suggesting for one minute this is the case but it would be extremely annoying if we didn't put up much of a struggle about Yates on the back of Noble being ready.

I would like to put on record that I thought Noble had a decent...ish game today, and in no way do I think he is the cause of our sudden and dramatic decline.

I could be wrong, and I have been often wrong before....BUT, our decline started because of Yates leaving...simple as.....we have not found anyone who chases back like a nutcase, throws his whole body into every tackle...and scores the odd goal....this left some huge boots to fill, and I cannot understand why the lad is warming the bench 40 miles north of us.

It has obviously thrown Grant a wobbly, the guy has gone to sleep......but two or three times today I spotted Nobsa urging the players on and shouting encouragement.

This is not the fault of Noble IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Is it too much of a wild idea to suggest that having Noble in the dressing room may cause problems? He's my scapegoat at this moment in time. Results have gone downhill since he walked through the door (even before he was fit and eligible to play). One bad egg can turn things on their head. Sorry Liam, please prove me wrong. Forest Green seem to be doing better now...
    So you're blaming our poor form on Noble? How bizarre.

I'd say the loss of Yates, the FA cup run/extra games, ageing strikers and mauling vs Swansea would all come above Noble but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    So you're blaming our poor form on Noble? How bizarre.

I'd say the loss of Yates, the FA cup run/extra games, ageing strikers and mauling vs Swansea would all come above Noble but that's just me.
    Aging strikers? Stead has played just about every game. Doesn’t get injuries. Has been in good goal scoring form. Ameobi, yes, their could be an argument as he does struggle
    Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday.
    I would agree that we need someone with genuine pace to play up front with either Stead or Ameobi, or indeed both.
    Personally, I think the buck stops with the manager. The constant tinkering with the line up is not allowing the team to build some continuity. Then their is 4-5-1. With the players we have and how we play, just NO.
    There are only 2 ways with the players we have can we play 3 central midfielders. Both would mean no wingers.
    4-3-3 which given the way we play would be my preferred choice. We can continue to hoof the ball forward but actually have 3 players not 1 to ‘aim’ for. We could also press the opposition higher up the field without killing our one striker, normally that geriatric Stead (not my opinion).
    Then there is 5-3-2. 2 out and out wing backs in Jones and Tootle. This is the one for away games possibly.

If we were to go 4-3-3 my side would be
    Fitz in goal, his distribution is very good
    Tootle, Brisley, Hall, Jones
    Noble, Hewitt, Husin
    Grant, Stead, Forte

We need to start being more positive in our selections and how the team is set up to play so we actually turn teams around and apply pressure in the opposing teams defensive 3rd.

All my opinion, not necessarily right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Aging strikers? Stead has played just about every game. Doesn’t get injuries. Has been in good goal scoring form. Ameobi, yes, their could be an argument as he does struggle
    I would agree that we need someone with genuine pace to play up front with either Stead or Ameobi, or indeed both.
    Personally, I think the buck stops with the manager. The constant tinkering with the line up is not allowing the team to build some continuity. Then their is 4-5-1. With the players we have and how we play, just NO.
    There are only 2 ways with the players we have can we play 3 central midfielders. Both would mean no wingers.
    4-3-3 which given the way we play would be my preferred choice. We can continue to hoof the ball forward but actually have 3 players not 1 to ‘aim’ for. We could also press the opposition higher up the field without killing our one striker, normally that geriatric Stead (not my opinion).
    Then there is 5-3-2. 2 out and out wing backs in Jones and Tootle. This is the one for away games possibly.

Noble, Hewitt, Husin
    Grant, Stead, Forte

We need to start being more positive in our selections and how the team is set up to play so we actually turn teams around and apply pressure in the opposing teams defensive 3rd.

Your team selection could work, Notts78. It would be less of a task for the midfield to move into the oppo's half and more of a chance of holding onto the ball for more than 5 seconds.

A promising striker and a competent holding midfielder, preferably fit ones, champing at the bit and fidgeting on the bench would give the option of complete change if necessary and would give the opposition manager something to think about other than sitting there laughing at us.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post

Noble, Hewitt, Husin
    Grant, Stead, Forte

Don't particularly like the 4-3-3 option, too narrow and the natural inclination of the two 'wide' forwards would be to drop deep and we are back to playing hoofball up to one up top again.

I've always been a fan of 5-3-2 though with two flying wingbacks, 3 central midfielders to pick up the second ball in midfield and two outright strikers. Can resort to 5-3-2 if having to defend but quickly becomes 3-2-3-2 when on the front foot without it being too complicated for the players that they start losing their shape like they do trying to play 4-5-1.

Based on a 5-3-2 I would try . . .

Fitz
    Toots, Hall, Duffy, Brisley, Jones
    Hawk, Hewitt, Grant
    Stead, Forte

I would be really interested to see how Forte would react to being told he was going to be starting every game for the next few games, could be the confidence boost he needs because he is the only player we have in the squad right now that possesses any kind of pace up front.

Ameobi must surely be in the first choice starting XI. I too like the 5-3-2 formation but can't see Hawkridge as one of the 3. His best hope would be as an alternative to Tootle. I would try Grant in the old Mark Robson role behind the front 2, and then have Hewitt and Milsom as the 2 in midfield.

Our form dipped well before Christmas. It does look like we've run out of steam - and the run of penalties and sending offs for the opposition has stopped as well.

Nolan should take some of the blame for the slump - the bizarre selections that chucked away 2 home games, his obsession with alternating Dickinson and Jones, the failure to improve the forward options in the window and his incomprehensible insistence on selecting Husin are all big factors. He achieved more than we could have imagined in his first year at the club but we don't look close to achieving Hardy's crazy dream of championship in 3 seasons, in fact we don't look that close to getting out of this league in that time frame.

We'll finish around mid-table but I'm not convinced we've really improved the squad that much. Our success this season was very dependent on Grant and Yates who won't, in all likelihood, be around next season and nor will Ameobi and Stead realistically be first choice forwards. So we're going to need to revamp our forward line and midfield in the summer - it won't be a case of incremental progress but major surgery. Who of the existing contracted squad would we want to see starting on the opening day next season? Hewitt, Brisley, Jones, maybe Collin. Possibly Tootle if we had to?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_M View Post
    Who of the existing contracted squad would we want to see starting on the opening day next season? Hewitt, Brisley, Jones, maybe Collin. Possibly Tootle if we had to?
    I've considered this myself and it does leave you thinking "oh sh1t, I can count our squad on one hand!"

I can't believe I'm saying this but Hewitt, Tootle, Husin and Fitzsimons are probably the only players I would keep out of the current bunch.

Of those others who have played a few games this season and are Notts players;

Collin is just awful
    Brisley all too often caught out of position
    Duffer spends more time on his ar5e than his feet and is no way a leader of men
    Dicko great attitude, a fighter but unfortunately a very average footballer
    Jones ok going forward, terrible defender
    Alessandra shows some nice touches but can't beat a man and always wants to wander into the middle of the park
    Hawk works hard but the output doesn't always match the effort, worked well down the right early season with Toots though.
    Noble . . . we are all waiting for this little time bomb to go off!
    Walker not really shown a great deal when given the chance
    Saunders looked quite reasonable during his Meadow Lane cameo when given the chance but not seen enough of him
    Forte head/heart has gone
    Ameobi legs gone but what a guy!
    Smith needs to concentrate on coaching
    Stead quite possibly our player of the season but unfortunately don't think he has another season in him

Apologies to those I've missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I've considered this myself and it does leave you thinking "oh sh1t, I can count our squad on one hand!"

I can't believe I'm saying this but Hewitt, Tootle, Husin and Fitzsimons are probably the only players I would keep out of the current bunch.

Of those others who have played a few games this season and are Notts players;

Collin is just awful
    Brisley all too often caught out of position
    Duffer spends more time on his ar5e than his feet and is no way a leader of men
    Dicko great attitude, a fighter but unfortunately a very average footballer
    Jones ok going forward, terrible defender
    Alessandra shows some nice touches but can't beat a man and always wants to wander into the middle of the park
    Hawk works hard but the output doesn't always match the effort, worked well down the right early season with Toots though.
    Noble . . . we are all waiting for this little time bomb to go off!
    Walker not really shown a great deal when given the chance
    Saunders looked quite reasonable during his Meadow Lane cameo when given the chance but not seen enough of him
    Forte head/heart has gone
    Ameobi legs gone but what a guy!
    Smith needs to concentrate on coaching
    Stead quite possibly our player of the season but unfortunately don't think he has another season in him

Apologies to those I've missed.

Whats the good news ?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast