+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts v Cambridge

Some interesting views, but maybe a bit of overthinking going on? I think the real reason we are slipping down the table is that we're not particularly good, simple as that. We rode our luck early season and over-achieved, but never looked like a promotion side or even a play off side. 10th - 12th place is our level, which is still a decent step forward from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Some interesting views, but maybe a bit of overthinking going on? I think the real reason we are slipping down the table is that we're not particularly good, simple as that. We rode our luck early season and over-achieved, but never looked like a promotion side or even a play off side. 10th - 12th place is our level, which is still a decent step forward from last season.
    Probably fair comment, although I'm still optimistic we can finish higher than that. We still have it in us to string together another little run of wins somewhere down the stretch, which could secure us at least a play-off place, and confidence is such a fickle thing that if it does return, anything's possible.

That said, I do think we're at least five first-team players short of what's needed to compete in League One, and if we go up before we're ready, we're likely to get mauled and return to League Two in much worse shape. Luton weren't quite ready last season, but look stronger now and will probably do well in the league above. If/when we go up, we want to be strong enough to stay up, and that means building a team gradually, because we sure can't buy one quickly.
    Last edited by jackal2; 20-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.

'Over achieved', I would agree with but I don't remember coming away from one match this season thinking, 'Jeez, that was a spawny win'. Grit, determination and team spirit got us most of our results and that seems to have evaporated for now.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for KN who's turning into a victim of his own success with some of the flak he's taking.

The change posters are talking about was definitively a decision taken because in Jan he spoke about integrating 'different type of players'. Unfortunately, the performance level of Allesandra, Grant, Husin, Noble, Virtue etc just hasn't been there. But I don't think we could have sustained a spot in the top 3 by continuing with the same formula anyway - Yates was gone, our strikers will never score enough and Grant was going to hit a version of the NBA's 'rookie wall'. I don't blame him if he saw this, decided to take the risk of changing things up - looking for something more fluent based on attacking midfielders that he already had or could bring in. To continue as before, would have meant replacing Yates like for like (and that's not Milsom), getting a new striker and covering Grant's goals. More Hardy's department.

We're still a play-off contender and that's massive progress on last year. This time last year we were still sweating on league status!
    Like Grant's a rookie player (first time he's ever played anywhere near 40 pro games), Nolan's a rookie manager in his first full season. I bet he can't wait to get to the summer to start putting together an even more competitive squad. Before that we can enjoy battling for a top 7 place and you never know what might happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Husin is clearly a very talented lad, but that's proven to be a bizarre signing IMO.

He needs to play a really specific role in a 4-5-1, can't play effectively in a 4-4-2 (definitely not away from home), and needs the ball passing through midfield. Throwing him into a team comfortable playing 4-4-2 in a direct, physical style half way through a season is completely mad.
    Husin’s best game by far was against Crewe where we played 4-4-2.

I agree with this 100%. We're finding our level; it just so happens that we've done it in a rather bizarre season-of-two-halves way. If you look at the Notts and Cambridge, you'd be hard pressed to say we have better players or play better football. If anything they look more dangerous than we do, and were probably held back by negative Derry tactics. We're a mid-table club with mid-table players, no real squad depth, and no natural goalscorer. Hard work, team spirit and effective tactics have got us up in the top spots, but the real promotion contenders are now jostling for position as we start the run-in.

Whatever happens, we're better than we were last season. It's just frustrating that it has happened this way rather than being average all season. Anyway, what would you prefer - average all season or great and then ****? At least this way we had a few amazing months at the top of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Another day and the same old rubbish.....321 fans will hopefully back me up.

Firstly, we are completely and utterly toothless up front.....3 shots at goal, without one single one being on target is quite simply unacceptable......I do not know what Forte has done to Nolos missus, but it is not fair to leave him sat on the bench every week whilst we nosedive down the table without looking like scoring.

Secondly, the long ball up to a solo Stead does not work, that is plainly obvious and has been for months now.....not blaming Stead because he puts in a shift but he is chasing shadows most of the time...pointless....we might as well just hand them the ball every 5 minutes

Thirdly, our midfield is now a lost cause since Yates went bye~bye......no idea if Husin is any good or not, because most of the time he never gets the ball....please move Nobsa in centre midfield.

Fourthly, Grant has completely lost the plot, waste of a shirt the last 3 or 4 games.....start anybody else, and I do mean anybody else out there, play Fitz out there just for fun.....at least they might be able to cut inside or put in a decent cross.

Sorry to tell you all once again, do not bother with the highlights ......unless you want to watch wave after wave of Cambridge attacks in the first half.

Toodle pip.....I am off to get pickled in alcohol
    Spot on Bigfoot. It was absolute garbage. How on earth KN could say it was than the Barnet game is beyond me.
    Its a good job that we have the points in the bag, otherwise we would be in another relegation battle. The problem we now have is that Nolan has no idea what to do. He somehow thinks that to keep kicking the ball down to Stead will bring him results. To win games you need to create chances, something that we are not doing. With this ridiculous 1 up front tactic all we are doing is to put ourselves under constant pressure, for some reason he cant see this...

He needs to get his act together very quickly or he will be going through the infamous revolving door....

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Husin’s best game by far was against Crewe where we played 4-4-2.
    This is true, but Crewe were also easily the most lightweight team we’ve played all season.

Absolutely spot on Elite you don't need to be in attendance at the games to see that. It's been interesting to see Alan Hardys reaction to his bombastic over confident dia tribe in the Jan transfer Window and huge promises which in reality are nothing. We have signed a bunch of players who probably wont be at the club in 18 months lost one who has clearly the back bone of the team and currently have a manager who has lost it and signed a choice 3 striker who is now injured. Poor business. Currently It's just like the good old days under the Trews. Nonsense chairman speak backed up by crap clueless management and shocking performances! Nothing's changed but we do have points in the bag. I stick with my original prediction of 10th but at least we have fancy dressing rooms to go with our first rate catering facilities now.

So hang on a minute. You predicted 10th,we are currently above that, yet people within the the club are ‘clueless’. Makes sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast