+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I Believe

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Totally agree. They're pillocking the fans too. The wembley team has sadly been ripped apart from top to bottom, sold for a juicy profit then no decent reinvestment has gone back into the team. Add the stones money to that and thaz got a few million gone missing. We were in deep sh1t needing to seriously strengthen our squad with experience in January to avoid relegation but they bought cheap untried players barring Mills. Now they've hired a man with absolutely no experience in this division to work a minor miracle. Recipe for disaster me thinks
    Playoff final team for context

Goalkeeper
    1Davies ..... STILL HERE

Full Backs
    22 Williams .. left no fee
    7Scowen....... left no fee
    we’ve now got Yiadom , Cavare , Fryers and Pinillos plus others who can fill in . Yiadom and Cavare would be my preferred 2 but all of these are better than what we had playing at Wembley imo

Central Defenders
    4Roberts ... Sold
    26Mawson.. Sold
    I’d say that Lyndsey, Pinnock and Jackson are all as good if not better than Roberts . Mawson has gone on to be a top player and that happens and are hard to buy a replacement

Midfield
    11Brownhill ... Loan
    8Hourihane .... Sold
    We tried to sign Brownhill but he wouldn’t come . We all know the story with Hourihane. We’ve spent about what we got for Hourihane trying to find a replacement. All looked good on paper but haven’t worked out . It’s like trying to sign a replacement for Redfearn, it’ll never happen.

Wingers
    20Hammil... STILL HERE
    34Isgrove... STILL HERE

Strikers
    9Winnall... sold
    18Fletcher..loan McBurnie a better player ?
    We know the story with Winnall and Bradshaw was meant to be the direct replacement bedding in while he was still here . We’ve tried numerous times to get Fletcher back

Subs
    Substitutes
    5Nyatanga.... pants packed in
    12McCourt.... pants playing at Chesterfield I think
    13Townsend.. STILL HERE
    15Watkins..... left
    24Toney....... pants
    32Chapman.. Loan wouldnt sign
    35White....... pants

Out of the starting 11 ,

3 are still here 3yrs later

4 were sold with only Roberts a chance of keeping

2were loans who we tried to sign on again

2 were let go at the end of their contracts

Out of the 8 that have left I’d say we’ve struggled to replace Winnall , Hourihane and Mawson but any team would struggle to replace them in their play off starting positions

The other 5 we have better players in those starting positions

We’ve got a stronger bench now easily
    Last edited by EastStandRed; 22-02-2018 at 01:58 AM.

ESR

You have to accept certain players leaving, it's inevitable that the likes of Winnall Hourihane and Mawson would move onto better things. As a Barnsley fan we all accept that some players are destined for higher things.

What I find difficult to grasp is that despite being safe by chrimbo last season we couldn't hold on to or offer deals they deserved to Watkins, Scowen and the Wigan lad we had on loan Morsy. Losing our top players was hard to take. Roberts was another big loss. All these proved their worth in this division and were let go simply because we never offered them championship wages which is criminal imo.

They were replaced by players who clearly aren't up to the task. Out of what we've spent on these new guys I think the money would've bin better spent on decent contracts for the above mentioned. Letting championship quality players leave on a free or Morsy stay at Wigan because we refuse to pay them the going rate is only going to result in gambling on untried young uns which hasn't worked.

If we'd have kept Watkins Scowen and Morsy then the likelihood is that we wouldn't be sinking faster than titanic. Our midfield isn't up to it this season. We lack bite and leadership, the attributes Scowen and Morsy clearly proved they had. Instead we waste money on that leeds waster Mowatt and various other gambles who've done nothing.

Yes it's easy in hindsight but when you have quality already in the camp that we are more than capable of keeping then keep the feckers. The Crynes just took the plan a bridge too far thinking that championship footballers grow on trees and you can turn over an entire football team in a summer transfer window buying from lower leagues. It's come back to bite us big time unfortunately.

Mowatt a waster? How can you say he's a waster. He's not done owt wrong. He's had one bad game on the wing and was farmed out on loan. I feel for lad if owt Pass. When have you seen him play? Looked good glimpse I got of him last season.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    ESR

You have to accept certain players leaving, it's inevitable that the likes of Winnall Hourihane and Mawson would move onto better things. As a Barnsley fan we all accept that some players are destined for higher things.

What I find difficult to grasp is that despite being safe by chrimbo last season we couldn't hold on to or offer deals they deserved to Watkins, Scowen and the Wigan lad we had on loan Morsy. Losing our top players was hard to take. Roberts was another big loss. All these proved their worth in this division and were let go simply because we never offered them championship wages which is criminal imo.

They were replaced by players who clearly aren't up to the task. Out of what we've spent on these new guys I think the money would've bin better spent on decent contracts for the above mentioned. Letting championship quality players leave on a free or Morsy stay at Wigan because we refuse to pay them the going rate is only going to result in gambling on untried young uns which hasn't worked.

If we'd have kept Watkins Scowen and Morsy then the likelihood is that we wouldn't be sinking faster than titanic. Our midfield isn't up to it this season. We lack bite and leadership, the attributes Scowen and Morsy clearly proved they had. Instead we waste money on that leeds waster Mowatt and various other gambles who've done nothing.

Yes it's easy in hindsight but when you have quality already in the camp that we are more than capable of keeping then keep the feckers. The Crynes just took the plan a bridge too far thinking that championship footballers grow on trees and you can turn over an entire football team in a summer transfer window buying from lower leagues. It's come back to bite us big time unfortunately.
    I agree with you to an extent but was just listing what had happened to the players

We had Scowen, Roberts , Watkins the second half of last season and we were rubbish then

I guess what Im trying to say is that it was Hourihane, Winnall and Mawson who were the spine of that great team and it’s pretty much impossible to find replacements and we couldn’t have kept them whatever .

Look at Man U , Liverpool and Chelsea. They lost the spine of their good sides and have spent £100s of millions trying to find good replacement players and failed
    Carragher, Gerrard , Suarez
    Terry, Lampard , Drogba
    Ferdinand, Scholes, Rooney

Good football squads go in cycles for me and it’ll come again eventually

Apart from Hourihane, Winnall and Mawson the rest were just extras who could be filled in by anyone

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I agree with you to an extent but was just listing what had happened to the players

We had Scowen, Roberts , Watkins the second half of last season and we were rubbish then

I guess what Im trying to say is that it was Hourihane, Winnall and Mawson who were the spine of that great team and it’s pretty much impossible to find replacements and we couldn’t have kept them whatever .

Look at Man U , Liverpool and Chelsea. They lost the spine of their good sides and have spent £100s of millions trying to find good replacement players and failed
    Carragher, Gerrard , Suarez
    Terry, Lampard , Drogba
    Ferdinand, Scholes, Rooney

Good football squads go in cycles for me and it’ll come again eventually

Apart from Hourihane, Winnall and Mawson the rest were just extras who could be filled in by anyone

Fair point mate. I just felt we'd have done better this season by retaining Watkins Scowen and Morsy. Not by any means an improbability considering our budget. To turnover the full team has proven to be too big a challenge. I recall Hecky saying in the summer that hed like 20 friendlies to get the new lads aquainted with his style and I could totally understand where he was coming from. The game is not up yet this season but I honestly fear the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Mowatt a waster? How can you say he's a waster. He's not done owt wrong. He's had one bad game on the wing and was farmed out on loan. I feel for lad if owt Pass. When have you seen him play? Looked good glimpse I got of him last season.

The lad can't cut the mustard in league 1 Steve. I only saw him play for Leeds and he was decent back then. However, there's a reason that they let him go and to be fair the Leeds fans told us what he was like when we signed him.

We'll have to disagree. The occasions I saw him play he had a touch of class. He isn't a winger, never has been. Monk and Hecky tried and failed with him.

I think he's been badly let down by being played out of position. Yes he's a luxury player but I'd take him over Williams and Gardner any day of the week.

He's not even gerrin a game at Oxford Ponte. Summats not reyt, Dale Jennings Mk 2 fo me.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    He's not even gerrin a game at Oxford Ponte. Summats not reyt, Dale Jennings Mk 2 fo me.
    In the sense that he was dropped after being suspended and never recovered from it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234