+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Our youth system has failed us

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    I know of one young player on our books that is being taken away to Scotland squads above his age group and Celtic Rangers Hearts and Hibs all want. I keep trying to convince his mum to keep him here. Ultimately though they've got to do what's best for his chances of making his one and only shot at being a pro a reality. I just hope it can be at United.

Youth Development is a fluid thing. It far removed from being an exact science.

But things like coach education are something a club can control and influence in a massive way. It's the cornerstone in my eyes.
    Some great points in this debate guys.....

It'll be interesting to see where the young player you know wants to develop as a player and his reasons for it

for me its starts from the chairman down....

The manager must be the kind to take an active interest in the youth development system, ensuring its structure is as it should be with all coaches getting developed also, i think too many clubs rely on coaches of U10's etc just doing it because they're supporters but maybe not the best.

Investing in the youth is key for me

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    It's easy to say you don't NEED youth coming through to win the Championship but it sure as he'll helps so I'm surprised you're so dismissive.
    Especially given as a club we need the income from player sales to balance the books.
    If we'd had 8 good hard working pros last season, guys desperate to prove themselves, plus 3 talented youngsters making their mark maybe we would have gone up.
    Thanks for getting back to me mate,3 months is a long time in football as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me mate,3 months is a long time in football as they say.
    I missed it the first time round mate, it was only when someone bumped the thread I saw it

We weren't far away from getting promoted this year.

2-1 up at Tannadice and if our manager could have read the game and made the appropriate changes at the right time. We would have done it.

Fans won't easily forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    We weren't far away from getting promoted this year.

2-1 up at Tannadice and if our manager could have read the game and made the appropriate changes at the right time. We would have done it.

Fans won't easily forget.
    Not convinced we would have beaten Partick over 2 legs mate. Livi were fresher and are less fragile than us.

In no way am I trying to absolve Shabba of any blame, by the way.

I see Paul Sturrock is looking to bring Craig Easton and Graeme Livestone back to the club to be involved with the youth development side of things. Graeme was punted by Levein when he first came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside View Post
    I see Paul Sturrock is looking to bring Craig Easton and Graeme Livestone back to the club to be involved with the youth development side of things. Graeme was punted by Levein when he first came in.
    Anyone know if he was punted because Craig didn't rate him or was it just because Craig wanted his own guy in?

Must have been about the time Levein brought Cathro in?

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Anyone know if he was punted because Craig didn't rate him or was it just because Craig wanted his own guy in?
    Levein wanted the Cathro style in and style Livestone out. There was an overlap as Levein couldn’t concentrate on sorting the Youth out until he’d sorted first team/club business. Caused a few problems with power struggles during these months.

Quote Originally Posted by birwoodarab View Post
    Levein wanted the Cathro style in and style Livestone out. There was an overlap as Levein couldn’t concentrate on sorting the Youth out until he’d sorted first team/club business. Caused a few problems with power struggles during these months.
    Would imagine it did. So is Livestone well rated?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)