+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Our youth system has failed us

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Don't know if you can confirm this - did we sell a youth to Man U at some point in the last 2 years? I seem to recall reading something on those lines but unsure whether it happened or not?
    Perhaps you mean Keiran Freeman who had trials at Man U and has signed for Southampton?

latest Scotland U15 squad has 3 united players in it, 4 if you include a boy who left for celtic recently. maybe the future is bright just have to wait a couple of years

I know of one young player on our books that is being taken away to Scotland squads above his age group and Celtic Rangers Hearts and Hibs all want. I keep trying to convince his mum to keep him here. Ultimately though they've got to do what's best for his chances of making his one and only shot at being a pro a reality. I just hope it can be at United.

Youth Development is a fluid thing. It far removed from being an exact science.

But things like coach education are something a club can control and influence in a massive way. It's the cornerstone in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    Perhaps you mean Keiran Freeman who had trials at Man U and has signed for Southampton?
    Think that was him Frank, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    I know of one young player on our books that is being taken away to Scotland squads above his age group and Celtic Rangers Hearts and Hibs all want. I keep trying to convince his mum to keep him here. Ultimately though they've got to do what's best for his chances of making his one and only shot at being a pro a reality. I just hope it can be at United.

Youth Development is a fluid thing. It far removed from being an exact science.

But things like coach education are something a club can control and influence in a massive way. It's the cornerstone in my eyes.
    It should be, however, as with most businesses, when times get hard its usually training and development that gets shelved first.

despite our development squad being poor, we still seem to bring through decent players and are always attracting interest from bigger clubs. the problem i have is we dont seem to be able to keep any decent prospects long enough before they are snapped up anymore.

the likes of russell, Armstrong, goodwillie, gauld, souttar and so on all came through and played over 50 games before leaving for bigger things. nowadays guys like Harry souttar, the boy freedman, even ali coote left without doing anything in the 1st team.

we do have decent players coming through. Matty smith, Alladice and ballantyne look decent. obviously still need to improve but theyre still young.

That's a symptom of slipping down from top six and challenging for Europe etc.

Moving upwards makes us a more attractive place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    If ever there was a season when we needed brilliant youth talent making an impact on the first team this was it.

Where were they when we needed an injection of passion and desire to make it in the first team? Where was the new Jonny Russell when the first team coach needed one? Where was the new Stuart Armstrong? ok I realise these type of players don't come along every day but we should have seen some new blood by now.

We all know what's wrong with the club, it's been well documented on here, but one of the first jobs of the new regime needs to be to rip out the old wood and rebuild our youth development from scratch.

It's maybe a different thread, maybe not, but it also seems we are now a club that players can't get away from quick enough, John Souttar Blair Spittal, Michael Gardyne, I'm sure some posters will know of others.

Severely Pi55ed off
    Its McKinnon and Thompson who have failed us you do not need a good youth system to get out of the Championship you just need to sign the right players when you have the biggest budget in the league as we did.If you were to compare our budget v ST Mirren or Livingston it would be in comparison to Brendan Rodgers being a country mile behind Sevco and Aberdeen in 2nd place,FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Its McKinnon and Thompson who have failed us you do not need a good youth system to get out of the Championship you just need to sign the right players when you have the biggest budget in the league as we did.If you were to compare our budget v ST Mirren or Livingston it would be in comparison to Brendan Rodgers being a country mile behind Sevco and Aberdeen in 2nd place,FACT.
    It’s a good comparison GB.

Even Ronnie delia was able to keep Celtic above the rest given their bigger budgets.

Can’t imagine csaba would be able to win league with Celtic either. It would be the same failings. But if that happened I’m sure it would be the celtic players fault and not csaba’s

We are throwing what money we have after bad. This Csaba decision could be the final breaking of United. I’m absolutely heartbroken about the whole thing and that we seem to be throwing away next season with same mistakes in key personnel, manager as cost us last time

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)