+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T On the heels of your fave instrumental / Your fave version of a classic song

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    Sinead O'Connors Nothing compares to you, I think is better than the original
    Not a chance mate. The Family's version is by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Yep, Once you get into it is great.

It's surprising how few of the Simon and Garfunkle songs are covered.

Here's the origonal. Actually Simon sounds out of tune where as my favourite is bang on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Not my cup of tea. Very powerful, yes, but completely OTT in terms of drama. The value of the S and G version was in the harmonies. This is just brute force to me. (Still, I agree with Frog on most things so I doubt I'm off his Christmas card list for this...)

If we're including covers of pretty obscure originals (eg The Animals version of the House of The Rising Sun) I would throw in all the Rolling Stones hits before they self-penned "Tell Me" ("Come On", "It's All Over Now", "Little Red Rooster", "Not Fade Away" and even Lenon and McCartney's "I Wanna Be Your Man") I've never been a major Stones fan but I would give them 100% credit for lifting these semi-known R and B songs to a whole new level - and introducing most American ****agers to their own musical heritage...

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Not a chance mate. The Family's version is by far the best.
    I dont know your family

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    That reminds me frog, they did an album almost entirely of covers back in 2004.
    Some really interesting versions on there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...iJGZvc5lp0NcKO

Still listen to it regularly.

Johnny Cash did a few covers of contemporary songs on his last few albums
    Personal Jesus, Hurts and One, all of which I really liked

But my all time favourite is something I never realised was a cover until a few years ago which is The Animals version of House of the Rising Sun.
    Turns out there's absolutely loads of versions of that.
    One of the songs on the Golddigger album is a cover of a S Club 7 which at first gets you thinking where you've heard it before.

Here's a link to all the covers on that album. I have to admit that I have been told off whist singing this album on a beach. Not because they're bad songs it's because I'm crap at singing

If anyone is trying to remember a cover this site may help.

https://www.whosampled.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Not my cup of tea. Very powerful, yes, but completely OTT in terms of drama. The value of the S and G version was in the harmonies. This is just brute force to me. (Still, I agree with Frog on most things so I doubt I'm off his Christmas card list for this...)

If we're including covers of pretty obscure originals (eg The Animals version of the House of The Rising Sun) I would throw in all the Rolling Stones hits before they self-penned "Tell Me" ("Come On", "It's All Over Now", "Little Red Rooster", "Not Fade Away" and even Lenon and McCartney's "I Wanna Be Your Man") I've never been a major Stones fan but I would give them 100% credit for lifting these semi-known R and B songs to a whole new level - and introducing most American ****agers to their own musical heritage...
    No offence taken smelly! My mother bought me the 'Simon and Garfunkle - The collection' as a pressent which I play whist at home alone sometimes. That is except one of the discs which although it has been printed along wit the other 5 it doesn't have a single song burnt onto it.

One of the songs on the Golddigger album is a cover of a S Club 7 which at first gets you thinking where you've heard it before.

Here's a link to all the covers on that album. I have to admit that I have been told off whist singing this album on a beach. Not because they're bad songs it's because I'm crap at singing

If anyone is trying to remember a cover this site may help.

https://www.whosampled.com/
    Never mind about that frog. Just get CT red-carded for not liking the Disturbed song.

Only joking of course and I get what he means about brute force. I think there is a fair amount of subtlety in the track though - the piano opening, the strings, the gradual increase in drum tempo. Although it's probably a bit of a musical cliche I do love a bit of crescendo.
    Not brute force for Disturbed at least. Positively serene compared with their other stuff, which I've tried to get into and can't

No offence taken smelly! My mother bought me the 'Simon and Garfunkle - The collection' as a pressent which I play whist at home alone sometimes. That is except one of the discs which although it has been printed along wit the other 5 it doesn't have a single song burnt onto it.
    The blank disc is actually another version of the sound of silence

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    I dont know your family

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    The blank disc is actually another version of the sound of silence
    That got me chuckling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123