+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few thoughts on last night.

Quote Originally Posted by benditlike_Borbokis View Post
    Should have made changes around the 60min mark when we were coasting, rather than waiting until 2-1 and them on top.

Thought CW got his timing of subs wrong last night.

But hey we won....main thing.
    Wilders says in his interview that he planned to put Brooks on but the kid had a back spasm so that might have skewed things up a bit timing wise.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    I’m with Wilder on this, it’s all about getting a positive result for me in the run in. I’m not interested in hearing how unlucky we were and have other fans praise us after we’ve gifted them the winner. I’d sooner them tell us what a set of jammy gits we are rather than drop points.

And now onto Madkins and Cluff. This could be an interesting few days. Both will be desperate to get one over us and Burton in particular are no mugs on the road. UTB
    Good shout GB, Last night was probably the only time this season where we have won a game without playing that well.

It beats me as to what fans actually want at the end of the day, Is it a win at all costs or a narrow defeat after playing fantastic.

Norwich at home, Bristol, Villa, Forest Away are just a few games where we should have got something but ended up with nothing after playing well,

We sometimes have to take a reality check as to what division we are in as well as the fact that under previous management a game last night would have seen us squander a 2 goal lead and probably lose 4-2 or something.

Moving on to Hull on Friday I really hope that we don't think we just have to turn up to turn them over as Mr Adkins will be endeavouring (pardon the pun) to make sure he has some sort of revenge against the club which dispensed with his services over 18 months ago.

As for Burton, they are scrapping for their lives and will feel that they need to start winning soon as proved last night at Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    W showed flashes of what has taken us to the fringes of the play offs with some swift,decisive,uncomplicated attacking which yielded 1 goal and could easily have yielded another 3.
    JAM and the back 3 were outstanding. And they had to be.
    Billy played in every position bar in goal. He was the one who chased and closed down when we surrendered up to and after their goal.
    Oh how Wilder has changed his subs approach. Before Xmas he would have thrown on Brooks for a front player on 70 mins and gone for a 3rd to kill them off. Now he has 9 defensive minded players inc Jam on and settles for a rearguard action at home v QPR. Yes we got the win.

I said to my young un "I bet he takes Duffy off for Leonard and we'll be lucky to get a point as we'll have no threat going forward and will go route 1" Check

As we started looking like little boys chasing shadows before their goal I said what should be a 4-0 to boost the GD will end up a nailbiting backs to the wall 2-1 at best. Check.

Wilder has gone from 1 extreme to the other. Sure Im delighted at the result but there were a lot of concerns last night. Quite how a midfield 3 containing 2 defensive CM's can be overun for fun I have absolutely no idea but I don't think Evans and Lundstrum should play together. They don't know who is doing what and it was left to poor old Duffy to try and run the whole thing on his own which he eventually did with style after a mare first 30 mins.

Pack it in with the sad Norwich crap at the end. Pathetic and pointless. Especially the freekick where no-one was interested in going into the box or crossing it and maybe actually scoring but rather play daft timewasting t w ats and lose it straight away anyway.

Bash my MOM.
    totally disagree what wilder as done is find a way to turn the ,we were the better side into ,weve won. its gonna be backs to the wall no matter who we play for spells in the game. hes found another winning way. well done wilder

agree chris is definetly improving in game management its a learning curve for him at this level at this stage of the season the 3 points is all that matters must say was quite impressed with leonard when he came on think he could be very influential for us in the run in

I just want them to get back to what they were doing before the end of November. No matter what happens.

This season was a perfect opportunity to continue with a pattern of entertaining play that we could become familiar to seeing.
    Even if it took us a couple of seasons until we got additional quality in I would rather have seen us continue to attack teams and if we got beat so be it.

Sometimes, bashing a team to death and losing by an odd goal from a freak breakaway is better than the constant dirge of grinding results out ugly. At least then it's all about a bit of extra quality being the difference.

United doing better than expected and being in with a chance of the play offs in a funny way hasn't done us any favours because there has been a very noticeable difference in our approach since November.

We've become a team trying too hard to consolidate something rather than a team that's coming onto the pitch thinking F--K IT, lets go out and smash them.

I'm saying this because if we somehow managed to get in the play offs, and if we somehow managed to go up, November/December might be the last time we see the attacking flair that we showed early on in the season because everything from that point will be about staying up......And then there will be a very definite change in attitude

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    I just want them to get back to what they were doing before the end of November. No matter what happens.

This season was a perfect opportunity to continue with a pattern of entertaining play that we could become familiar to seeing.
    Even if it took us a couple of seasons until we got additional quality in I would rather have seen us continue to attack teams and if we got beat so be it.

Sometimes, bashing a team to death and losing by an odd goal from a freak breakaway is better than the constant dirge of grinding results out ugly. At least then it's all about a bit of extra quality being the difference.

United doing better than expected and being in with a chance of the play offs in a funny way hasn't done us any favours because there has been a very noticeable difference in our approach since November.

We've become a team trying too hard to consolidate something rather than a team that's coming onto the pitch thinking F--K IT, lets go out and smash them.

I'm saying this because if we somehow managed to get in the play offs, and if we somehow managed to go up, November/December might be the last time we see the attacking flair that we showed early on in the season because everything from that point will be about staying up......And then there will be a very definite change in attitude
    A lot of truth in that but it can’t help when CW does not know who will win the board room battle. Maybe he is taking a safety first approach. It is like Brexit the sooner we get certainty back the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade for Life View Post
    A lot of truth in that but it can’t help when CW does not know who will win the board room battle. Maybe he is taking a safety first approach. It is like Brexit the sooner we get certainty back the better.

True BFL
    Wilders made a bit of a rod for his own back
    Not getting in the play offs will now be a disappointment for everyone, but it shouldn't be.

Perfecting our style of play and introducing better quality to make it as entertaining as possible should have been the number one priority even if we got spanked a couple of times

But of course we didn't expect to do so well, and I think psychologically it has cooled down our new kids on the block attitude and a bit of fear at being so close and not wanting to blow our chance has replaced it

i agree with you to a certain extent jj but lets get to the play offs by sensible management first then we can say f***k it lets go for it got a slight feeling chris might have been having a little dig with this boardroom battle in his post match interview saying people dont realise the quality of players were coming up against each week in the championship more or less saying were gonna have to spend more heavily if were to compete at this level

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    i agree with you to a certain extent jj but lets get to the play offs by sensible management first then we can say f***k it lets go for it got a slight feeling chris might have been having a little dig with this boardroom battle in his post match interview saying people dont realise the quality of players were coming up against each week in the championship more or less saying were gonna have to spend more heavily if were to compete at this level

If that's what Wilder was hinting at he might as well talk to a brick wall

he knows it and the fans know it that with proper backing he can take us to the premier league and if he isnt backed in the next 2 years i know exactly what will happen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast