+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Play Offs - You're having a laugh

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    I feel loads better knowing JonnyT has predicted we won’t make the playoffs. It’s now a nailed on cert we will. COYP
    Correct our leading football brain for many years Jonnyt " I'm a Football Genius " 1 has spoken Happy Days are almost here.

We still should pick up enough points to get in the playoffs,starting with 3pts on Saturday.

In 09/10 we had an exceptional squad for this level and in my honest opinion this squad is not comparable to that title winning side.

But what this squad has had was a determination, a togetherness, a never say die attitude where the sum was bigger than it's parts and that took us far. We need to try and find that again because that was enough to get us to the top of the league and stay in the automatic promotion places for months.

The loss of Yates, the change of formation, the introduction of new midfielders, Grant going off the boil, the humiliation by Swansea, the countless Tue/Sat games have perhaps all contributed to us being 19th in the form table in the last 8 games.

The season is not over by a long shot with 25% of it left to play. If we were to win 6 games from the remaining 12 that would put us on 76 points. I refuse to accept that this squad of players are not good enough and that poor that they can't finish in the top seven. Not after what they achieved in the first half of the season.

It maybe that fatigue has kicked in, confidence has dropped but these things can return. They can't give up not when there is a fantastic opportunity up for grabs.

Some might say it might be a step to far in AH's first full season as a chairman and KN's as his first full season as a manager to get automatic promotion or a playoff place, but let's give it a go in the last 12 games and try to secure a play-off place. Let's not let the season wither away to nothing. We have shown we can and are better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    In 09/10 we had an exceptional squad for this level and in my honest opinion this squad is not comparable to that title winning side.

But what this squad has had was a determination, a togetherness, a never say die attitude where the sum was bigger than it's parts and that took us far. We need to try and find that again because that was enough to get us to the top of the league and stay in the automatic promotion places for months.

The loss of Yates, the change of formation, the introduction of new midfielders, Grant going off the boil, the humiliation by Swansea, the countless Tue/Sat games have perhaps all contributed to us being 19th in the form table in the last 8 games.

The season is not over by a long shot with 25% of it left to play. If we were to win 6 games from the remaining 12 that would put us on 76 points. I refuse to accept that this squad of players are not good enough and that poor that they can't finish in the top seven. Not after what they achieved in the first half of the season.

It maybe that fatigue has kicked in, confidence has dropped but these things can return. They can't give up not when there is a fantastic opportunity up for grabs.

Some might say it might be a step to far in AH's first full season as a chairman and KN's as his first full season as a manager to get automatic promotion or a playoff place, but let's give it a go in the last 12 games and try to secure a play-off place. Let's not let the season wither away to nothing. We have shown we can and are better than that.

I think this season has been way above everyone’s initial expectation, unless of course you are one of the doom mongers.

Admittedly I've been following only casually this season, so hopefully someone can answer this for me:

Why did we start so well but are now slipping quite quickly? What changed? Were we just lucky at the beginning of the season and we were in a false position? Did we lose some key players? Have our tactics become too predictable? Is there something going on behind the scenes that's killing player morale?

What gives?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post

Agree with you on many points that you say other than the last, in that respect I just don't think we have the kind of players that can get us over the line. Lets not forget that we still have the "sloppy 6" that took us to our record 10 losses on the bounce, these were also involved in the "hateful 8" at Swansea.
    I just cannot see that AH or KN will be able to come anywhere near our table topping side of 2009/10, LH, KS, GL,RR,LR,CW,NB,ME,MH,
    JJ,MR, not in this division or any other in my opinion.

I watched Rochdale play spurs, I can remember the ding dongs we had with them, Rochdale was how we used to play, tremendous, even the Wigan game bought back fond memories of how we was, in fact I think we was the last side to beat them at the DW in the FA cup.

Most of our present players are a pale shadow of what we used to have, its brutal but at best we have a mid table bordering on relegation bunch, thankfully we had the rub of the green in 2017 or we would be in another relegation scrap in 2018.

Sorry but thats the way I see it , but will still attend every game & support, wer'e all NCFC, aren't we ???.

Losing Yates, Grant’s form going off a cliff, and no new striker are all contributing to the demise of our promotion hopes. Maybe a few behind the scenes issues as well, but we can only guess about them.

People are talking about getting the wins at home, but I just can’t see it, given the calibre of most of the opposition we’ll be facing. The only small hope that is we pinch 3 points against Stevenage and use what looks like may be a lengthy weather inspired winter break to re group.

Really, really frustrating, we can only hope that AH and KN are on a steep learning curve and will use that experience during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I think this season has been way above everyone’s initial expectation, unless of course you are one of the doom mongers.
    It has Joe but even you the eternal optimist with rose coloured spectacles can see we could be in danger of missing out. If that doesn't disappoint you then I think you would accept anything Notts do.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBulwell View Post
    Agree with you on many points that you say other than the last, in that respect I just don't think we have the kind of players that can get us over the line. Lets not forget that we still have the "sloppy 6" that took us to our record 10 losses on the bounce, these were also involved in the "hateful 8" at Swansea.
    I just cannot see that AH or KN will be able to come anywhere near our table topping side of 2009/10, LH, KS, GL,RR,LR,CW,NB,ME,MH,
    JJ,MR, not in this division or any other in my opinion.

I watched Rochdale play spurs, I can remember the ding dongs we had with them, Rochdale was how we used to play, tremendous, even the Wigan game bought back fond memories of how we was, in fact I think we was the last side to beat them at the DW in the FA cup.

Most of our present players are a pale shadow of what we used to have, its brutal but at best we have a mid table bordering on relegation bunch, thankfully we had the rub of the green in 2017 or we would be in another relegation scrap in 2018.

Sorry but thats the way I see it , but will still attend every game & support, wer'e all NCFC, aren't we ???.
    You don't need to be sorry for your own opinions. Lot's of food for thought in your post. At this level it would naive to think that you do not need some quality to finish in the top 7, but endeavor and hard work on a consistent basis can be enough for success. Let's remember our only two pieces of silverware in the past 20 years have come from wining this leagues title in 97/98 and 09/10. So we know what separates a title winning side from the rest.

What did those sides have that were different to what we have now? A +20 goal a season striker and a partner striker who could bag 40+ goals between them. In 97/98 it was Jones (28 goals) and Farrell (15 goals), in 09/10 Hughes (30 goals) and Rogers (13 goals).

Also young goalkeepers who would go on to play at a higher level. 97/98 Darren Ward (Age 23) and 09/10 Kasper Schmicheal (23).

Two solid centre backs. 97/98 Gary Strodder and Ian Richardson/Matt Redmile. Not forgetting Steve Finnan at left back. 09/10 Mike Edwards and Grahame Lea. These two scored 9 goals that season between them!

Two midfield spoilers. 97/98 had the likes of Shaun Derry, Ian Baraclough and Phil Robinson who would all go on to play at a higher level after Notts. 09/10 Ricky Ravenhill and Neil Bishop. Ryan Yates and Elliott Hewitt this season was the closest to these two.

Two creative midfielders. 09/10 Ben Davies and Craig Westcarr. This season Grant is the closest we've had to Ben Davies who netted 14 times from midfield in that season.

The squad of 97/98 did not play the champagne football like the class of 09/10 but they had guts, guile and strength in abundance which was enough to see teams out and why we went 20 games unbeaten and broke a club record 10 wins in a row. The same style that saw us have our best start to a season in 40 years was it this term?

It's clear we don't have the goalscorers for a title winning side, (18 goals behind Luton) but I think we have enough for a top 7 finish.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    Admittedly I've been following only casually this season, so hopefully someone can answer this for me:

Why did we start so well but are now slipping quite quickly? What changed? Were we just lucky at the beginning of the season and we were in a false position? Did we lose some key players? Have our tactics become too predictable? Is there something going on behind the scenes that's killing player morale?

What gives?

Thanks in advance!
    I reckon Andy, that the margins of error are very slim in L2. That's why the same set of players can be going out of the league with Sheridan one minute and going up with Nolan the next. With players and teams much of muchness, a new owner, new manager and the right additions (Grant & Yates) can transform the worst team in our history to promotion candidates.

It's a delicate balance. Get the team spirit right, find a winning formula and it can take you far. Upset that balance (lose Yates, Grant's performances hit the wall) lose confidence and suddenly Duffy, Tootle, Dickinson, Collin, Stead, Forte, Hewitt, Milsom, Smith etc are looking like the guys who were taking us to the conference again.

January was the big chance to right the ship with the right acquisitions. That's looking like a disaster at the moment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast