+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Ronnie Lane

O/T Ronnie Lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mpuMwLnak&sns=em

I hope this attachment is there.

Ronnie Lane has been mentioned now and again here and some are no doubt familiar with this programme about him. I have just watched it for the very first time.

I know that Ronnie was a really friendly and decent person. I found the story of his life to be interesting, at times amusing, and very entertaining. I thought I knew a bit about his later life. But actually I had no idea how tragic it was. Very, very sad. But...great memories. Thank you Ronnie.

First time I've seen it as well. Really enjoyed it. I always felt that the Small Faces were a bit underrated alongside bands such as Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Who, Kinks etc. Released some great singles; 'All or Nothing' and 'My Minds Eye' were my two favourites.

I saw him live in Brum in the early seventies when Rod Stewart was still in The Faces, (unfortunately Ronnie Wood was the guitarist by then) and i have never heard so many bum notes in a concert by a guitarist before or since. But Ronnie Lane played impeccably and was dressed in a smart suit and was sipping champagne from a fluted glass between songs and looking like he was really enjoying the night.
    He seemed like a really nice guy and it was tragic how his life deteriorated through his illness to his eventual premature death. His solo albums are still very listenable.

Just watched it,so sad a story.rip to him

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    First time I've seen it as well. Really enjoyed it. I always felt that the Small Faces were a bit underrated alongside bands such as Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Who, Kinks etc. Released some great singles; 'All or Nothing' and 'My Minds Eye' were my two favourites.
    with all due respects ,I don’t think they were underated in the least . Small faces wasn’t around as long as the the bands you mentioned, Steve Marriott wanted to bring in peter frampton and go on to the next leval as they say. But the other guys said no. So Marriott left went on ,to form humble pie. And the small faces became the awful faces. In my humble opinion Marriott was one of the best front men ever.p.s after all these years still play there music . on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    with all due respects ,I don’t think they were underated in the least . Small faces wasn’t around as long as the the bands you mentioned, Steve Marriott wanted to bring in peter frampton and go on to the next leval as they say. But the other guys said no. So Marriott left went on ,to form humble pie. And the small faces became the awful faces. In my humble opinion Marriott was one of the best front men ever.p.s after all these years still play there music . on a regular basis.
    Agreed and wasn't Marriott considered for Zeppelin before Planty?

Not sure Marriott was considered before Plant, but Terry Reid certainly was. However, he had got a tour lined up supporting the Stones so he recommended Plant. I rate Reid just ahead of Marriott vocally at that time but they were both fantastic vocalists. Reid is still worth going to see but obviously has to reign in his voice now he is so much older. Like Van Morrison, he sings the notes he can still reach without trying to still sing like he is a twenty year old.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)