+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Donny Rovers

I think teams see a local rival as ones who are close and they Deff don't want to loose to because they perceive them as a better team, setup/squad/financial wise..
    Or main rivals are both Sheffield clubs, Barnsley, Bradford and Leeds..
    All 5 clubs historically are head n shoulder above Rotherham..
    Better finance,
    better supported, numbers wise.
    better squad's though Bradford ATM not so.
    Better history.

Chesterfield and Donny just don't fill that criteria..

I think someone said on an earlier thread that we see them like the pigs maybe see us, they're not our main rivals but i would love it, just love it if we beat them satdy...

3 points to us on Saturday is all that matters...

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    14 miles away ? what route do you take ?

They are a local team,fair enough, but, we never seem to be rivals in any division we play in ! I cannot remember slugging it out for a promotion slot at any time in my history with Donny,unlike Barnsley, who we have slugged it out with on several occasions! At least one year when we both went up together !
    Only 9.4 miles from Thrybergh

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    I think teams see a local rival as ones who are close and they Deff don't want to loose to because they perceive them as a better team, setup/squad/financial wise..
    Not sure about that definition Cayton. It would rule out mutually accepted rivalries.

Which of Tottenham/Arsenal, Newcastle/Sunderland, Burnley/Blackburn don't consider themselves as rivals?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Animal, I guess a couple of decades of being the lowest ranked club in the region, as Doncaster were, has that effect on their fans. Bitterness and jealousy aplenty.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Not sure about that definition Cayton. It would rule out mutually accepted rivalries.

Which of Tottenham/Arsenal, Newcastle/Sunderland, Burnley/Blackburn don't consider themselves as rivals?
    I was thinking more of the little teams looking at bigger teams. Just like sheff wed would see sheff united and Leeds more a rival than chesterfield/Rotherham..

Spurs n arsenal wouldn't think l orient as a rival though it's prob closer to spurs than arsenal.
    Same with Newcastle n Sunderland. Carlisle are insignificant to either of those but to Carlisle prob think one club are the massive..

Clearly its an individual thing, I see them as rivals as I know a few Donny fans.

I think after Saturday more Millers will see them this way

I don't see them as rivals. I never look at their results or league position like I do with pigs/blades/Bradford and even Barnsley sometimes. Although its our first (?) sold out game of the season so some people clearly have feelings towards the game

I agree about Bradford, the rivalry came about in the Steve Evans era not just because they didn't like us or him but because they have been promotion rivals every time we have been in the same league as them since SE came in.

I don't think that I know a Doncaster Rovers fan. I met a guy from Doncaster over here but he supports Manchester United and his wife although is English wore a Scotland shirt when I invited them to have a beer with us whilst watching the last international. I now don't consider either of them to be noram as he doesn't drink but she's a complete nutter.

Nope I wouldn't consider them as rivals in the same way I do the other local teams.

In order of the local teams I like to beat mostestist.
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Sheffield United
    Barnsley
    Chesterfield
    Doncaster

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast