+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Respect for national hunt jockeys

O/T Respect for national hunt jockeys

Today in NZ my daughters horse tried to jump a metal gate from a standing position and crashed through it with both landing on me. The horse panicked trampled me and kicked me on the leg as it escaped.
    The paramedics gave me morphine for the pain and I was taken to hospital. Luckily no bones broken but severe bruising, stitches in the back of my knee and possible ligament damage so on crutches at present.
    That brings me to the point that how brave and hard those jockeys are jumping fences at speed and falling knowing they could be maimed or even killed.
    It is a terrifying experience lying there with a out of control horse kicking and bucking next to you, they have my utmost admiration.

The jump jockeys have my utmost admiration too. The thoroughbred racehorse is one of nature's finest creations, but I wouldn't like to put my life in their hooves. I once sat on one and even though I never went faster than a walk it looked a bloody long way to the ground!
    These are highly strung and unpredictable animals, I even admire the 7 stone stablegirls who regularly lead half a ton of horseflesh around the parade ring. I hope you recover quickly and the horse emerged unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The jump jockeys have my utmost admiration too. The thoroughbred racehorse is one of nature's finest creations, but I wouldn't like to put my life in their hooves. I once sat on one and even though I never went faster than a walk it looked a bloody long way to the ground!
    These are highly strung and unpredictable animals, I even admire the 7 stone stablegirls who regularly lead half a ton of horseflesh around the parade ring. I hope you recover quickly and the horse emerged unscathed.
    Cheers EP horse as a few scratches but is fine, my leg is twice the size of the other one and is very sore but I should be ok in a few days hopefully, I was going to the cricket on Sunday and a big race meeting Saturday but that is off the agenda. Mind you 3 points on Saturday would cheer me up no end.