+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFC Sunderland- what is going on?!

AFC Sunderland- what is going on?!

Is it down to being poorly run by the chairman? Or just that they never got started again after their relegation last season.

I think I heard at the end of last season that Sunderland haven't been relegated in 10+ seasons and now they're probably going to be slumming it in League 1 with the likes of us and fleetwood and oldham/rochdale etc.

It's sad when something like this happens to a brilliant club, but it seems like everyone fans and players alike have completely given up, just a quick search on their hashtag on twitter and nobody has anything positive/hopeful to say

I feel sorry for Coleman too, hes just jumped on the titanic whilst it was already sinking- he can't be expected to bring results in when nobody will give him the money to do so.

Also, they still have Jack Rodwell on 70k a week (we thought Blackstock was bad) he doesn't even turn up to training anymore.

Looks like they've got themselves in a mess that they can't seem or want to find a way out of

Problems upstairs (rumours )

Doesn't surprise me. I thought they were supposed to be selling the club too? Although who'd want to buy them when there's the bright lights of Newcastle for sale up the road

There's the other thread about rivalry running, can you imaging being a Sunderland fan working with Newcastle fans or Middlesborough fans.

Warney has done a great job stopping the slide for us but he's been able to change all the players and he got rid of all of the bad influences in the changing room as quick as he could. It looks like their players haven't wanted to adjust and won't preform for any manager. They need to do with Coleman like Stewart did with Warne and let him have the time to get rid and rebuild.

The finances must be crippling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    Is it down to being poorly run by the chairman? Or just that they never got started again after their relegation last season.

I think I heard at the end of last season that Sunderland haven't been relegated in 10+ seasons and now they're probably going to be slumming it in League 1 with the likes of us and fleetwood and oldham/rochdale etc.

It's sad when something like this happens to a brilliant club, but it seems like everyone fans and players alike have completely given up, just a quick search on their hashtag on twitter and nobody has anything positive/hopeful to say

I feel sorry for Coleman too, hes just jumped on the titanic whilst it was already sinking- he can't be expected to bring results in when nobody will give him the money to do so.

Also, they still have Jack Rodwell on 70k a week (we thought Blackstock was bad) he doesn't even turn up to training anymore.

Looks like they've got themselves in a mess that they can't seem or want to find a way out of
    The likes of us? We might not be in this league next season
    I don't think Rodwell doesn't turn up for training. The club would probably love that as they could dock his ridiculous wages. He is training "away from the first team" probably with the juniors. That will be the club's idea not his. Like Blackstock and many more before him he will dig his heels in. £70k per week is a lot to give up.

I remember last season a fan phoned into talksport, he sounded very knowledgeable and stated that his team were done for and that he wouldn't be surprised at administration.
    He mentioned the owners had took out a loan of 100M at an interest rate of 16% and said they couldn't possibly pay it off.
    Bad years ahead for them i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    The likes of us? We might not be in this league next season
    I don't think Rodwell doesn't turn up for training. The club would probably love that as they could dock his ridiculous wages. He is training "away from the first team" probably with the juniors. That will be the club's idea not his. Like Blackstock and many more before him he will dig his heels in. £70k per week is a lot to give up.
    I feel that it's as good as stealing under license. The salary, signing on fee and loyalty bonuses imust be enough to run their whole youth set up.

I wonder what happened to the Premier League riches and parachute payment?
    Maybe the grass isn't always greener.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post

It's hard to feel sorry for Coleman. If he didn't realise what he was taking on he must be stupid. He'd only got to have a word with Simon Grayson and some of the local journalists to find out what a mess the club was in.
    He'll probably get the bullet before too long but he'll no doubt be handsomely rewarded for biting off more than he can chew.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I feel that it's as good as stealing under license. The salary, signing on fee and loyalty bonuses imust be enough to run their whole youth set up.
    I know what you mean but the club gave him the contract. They didn't even include a relegation clause to cut his pay in the event of relegation. Presumably his agent told him to refuse to sign if the clause was in.

If he had been brilliant and they could have made a few mill on him they wouldn't have shared it with him.

The other side of the coin is Mahrez at Leicester. No doubt dead chuffed to sign a contract, accept the security it gives him and a decent wage. He makes a name for himself there and chucks the dummy out when they won't let him head off for untold riches elsewhere. He didn't have the confidence in himself to ask for a shorter contract or a buy-out clause when he signed. I've no sympathy with him or Sunderland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast