+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Best 5 3 2

Your Best 5 3 2

Going 5 3 2 was mentioned on another thread and I thought it might be worthy of its own discussion. We do have 3 decentish centre backs, a couple of attacking full-backs, 3 central midfielders (at least) and all of us reckon we need 2 up top, so what would your 5 3 2 team be? I will kick it off with:

GK Fitzsimons

WB Tootle
    WB Jones

CB Duffer
    CB Brisley
    CB Hall

MF Hewitt
    MF Nobler
    MF Husin

ST Stead
    ST Ameobi/Forte

Automatic promotion guaranteed!

Yes, I love a 5-3-2 me . . .

GK Fitzsimons

WB Tootle
    WB Jones

CB Duffer
    CB Brisley
    CB Hall

MF Hawk
    MF Hewitt
    MF Grant

ST Stead
    ST Forte

Just about the best we can hope for in this formation with what we have available although I still think there is room for Husin in there somewhere, I still think him, Hewitt and a n other could forge a fruitful, solid midfield for us.

Unfortunately out of all of those above I could count on one hand the players I would want to keep for next season . . .regardless of what league we are in!

I've got an unusual idea, but please bear with me on this.

For the first half of the season we were winning matches and creating chances whilst starting in a 4-4-2 formation - why don't we just revert back to that?

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    Going 5 3 2 was mentioned on another thread and I thought it might be worthy of its own discussion. We do have 3 decentish centre backs, a couple of attacking full-backs, 3 central midfielders (at least) and all of us reckon we need 2 up top, so what would your 5 3 2 team be? I will kick it off with:

GK Fitzsimons

WB Tootle
    WB Jones

CB Duffer
    CB Brisley
    CB Hall

MF Hewitt
    MF Nobler
    MF Husin

ST Stead
    ST Ameobi/Forte

Automatic promotion guaranteed!
    Best thing about the post is calling it what it is - 5-3-2, and not going for the football manager's con job of picking 5 defenders and calling it a 3-5-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    I've got an unusual idea, but please bear with me on this.

For the first half of the season we were winning matches and creating chances whilst starting in a 4-4-2 formation - why don't we just revert back to that?
    I don't think that is being disputed? The OP asked what would be your best 5-3-2. Maybe we can start another fred asking what would be your favourite 4-4-2?

Only thing wrong with people's teams above, you've all picked Duffy, that's worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Only thing wrong with people's teams above, you've all picked Duffy, that's worrying.
    Very true, but unless you move Hewitt back there, with that formation who else do we have?

Alternatively this .
    Fitz

Tootle
    Brisley
    Hall
    Jones

Hewitt

Grant
    Husin
    Allesandra

Stead
    Forte

Grant in a more central role behind strikers . Hewitt sitting in front of centre backs when fullbacks push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by gulf_coast_roamer View Post
    Alternatively this .
    Fitz

Tootle
    Brisley
    Hall
    Jones

Hewitt

Grant
    Husin
    Allesandra

Stead
    Forte

Grant in a more central role behind strikers . Hewitt sitting in front of centre backs when fullbacks push forward.
    The Martin Allen system, in effect.

Hewitt is our best defensively minded midfielder, but actually he's more than that. He genuinely can go box to box and pose an attacking threat too, so restricting him to a truly defensive position probably loses some of what he can offer. He really is best suited to being an all action midfielder in a 4-4-2, and could do with a similar player alongside him to ensure a 2-man central mid that can work hard enough defensively and offensively to combat the teams who pack midfield with 3 or 5 players. In my opinion, the player best suited to join him in that role (as he proved alongside Gary Liddle or Josh Vela in Derry's Great Escape season) is currently on loan at Wycombe. The next best candidate is probably Milsom, if his fitness holds up.
    Last edited by jackal2; 21-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The Martin Allen system, in effect.

Hewitt is our best defensively minded midfielder, but actually he's more than that. He genuinely can go box to box and pose an attacking threat too, so restricting him to a truly defensive position probably loses some of what he can offer. He really is best suited to being an all action midfielder in a 4-4-2, and could do with a similar player alongside him to ensure a 2-man central mid that can work hard enough defensively and offensively to combat the teams who pack midfield with 3 or 5 players. In my opinion, the player best suited to join him in that role (as he proved alongside Gary Liddle or Josh Vela in Derry's Great Escape season) is currently on loan at Wycombe. The next best candidate is probably Milsom, if his fitness holds up.
    What’s Gavin Mahon upto these days? I did like the 4-1-3-2 formation that Martin Allen played. The defensive midfielder was there to link defence and midfield and pick up and spray the ball around when in attack. (Noble) but also needs the grit and energy and spoiling attributes the position requires when in defence. (Hewitt)

Who is there at the club who could slot into that role?

Maybe we need to think outside the box and reverse it to 4-3-1-2 with Grant or Noble playing behind the front two strikers as an attacking midfielder to get closer to the likes of Stead and Ameobi.

Isn’t it fun pretending to be Notts County manager?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast