+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: End of an Era?

End of an Era?

Just to say I didn't go to the game last night and why we lost!

No, seriously, I suspect there will be big changes at the club next season, whether we survive the drop or not and in many ways that won't really make much difference either way to the current Board, only the fans imo, because Hassall would have gone, Bowler and Gradi probable and so a new start will be required by a new Board of Directors and in a perverse sort of way, relegation to non league may be thought as a better option as the pressure will be off them to sign league players. The decision for dismantling or downgrading the academy will be easier and no need to guarantee loans or have to balance the books with outgoing transfer fees and so who would think of that scenario not that long ago?

The other secondary but just as important is the compensation costs of the child abuse that took place at the club which is unknown at the moment but that alone could decide the financial future of the club and its very existence whether we go down or not.

Either way, it is the end of the most successful era the club has had in recent history and in that respect sad for everyone, the Board and fans alike..Of course it could well be the start of a new era playing Wrexham, Tranmere, Chester, Macclesfield who will surely bring more fans than Colchester did last night..

We may even get Steve Davis back!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Just to say I didn't go to the game last night and why we lost!

Well, at least that one is explained.
    I went to bed in disbelief - yet again! (although history tells me I shouldn't!)

The other secondary but just as important is the compensation costs of the child abuse that took place at the club which is unknown at the moment but that alone could decide the financial future of the club and its very existence whether we go down or not.

And how immeasurable is that?
    As has been expressed on another thread, this above all else is a real and present danger!

.... will surely bring more fans than Colchester did last night..

I would put money on there being NO Colchester fans there last night!!

We may even get Steve Davis back!

I have thought about this.
    Although I think VERY unlikely, would it really be such a bad thing?
    He is after all (arguably!!!!!!!!!) the 2nd most successful manager in the club's history.
    Why would you prevent him from trying to add to that?

[QUOTE=somersetcrewe;38807799]Well, at least that one is explained.
    I went to bed in disbelief - yet again! (although history tells me I shouldn't!)

I would put money on there being NO Colchester fans there last night!!

Haha...You didn't get where you are today without knowing the difference between Colchester and Exeter only they are a long long way away..........I'm still in a daze with that win mate!

Steve Davis, please, NO!
    Showed total disrespect to the fans in the Main stand on more than one occasion.
    Lasted a few months in the league below with L Orient.
    Successful yes, but with an incredibly talented group of players.

A talented group of players who were fighting relegation at the time he took over

Quote Originally Posted by out0lunch View Post
    A talented group of players who were fighting relegation at the time he took over
    I don't think there's any doubt that Davis did a fantastic job in that season but his poor personal relationships with players, incistence on expensive loan signings and inability to develop youth players to their potential means that I would never be happy to see him back at Gresty Road.