+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Ideas on Stopping School Shootings

Trump says all it needs to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The armed deputy who was on campus at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school when a gunman massacred 17 people stood outside the building as it occurred and did not go in to engage the shooter, the Broward County sheriff, Scott Israel, said on Thursday.

Sort of shoots down that theory?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Trump says all it needs to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. The armed deputy who was on campus at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school when a gunman massacred 17 people stood outside the building as it occurred and did not go in to engage the shooter, the Broward County sheriff, Scott Israel, said on Thursday.

Sort of shoots down that theory?
    Trump agrees with the NRA that to stop a bad guy with a gun you need a good guy with a gun.

Wouldn't it be better to stop the bad guy getting a gun in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    We could well have had the same problems 59/60 ? I doubt it very much, despite what the laws said the culture of the two countries regarding carrying and owning guns was totally different. Or are you trying to tell me that the poor buggers working down t'pit in Victorian times, or the navvies digging out canals and railway cuttings were carrying Smith & Wessons ? My grandad worked as a tackler in a cotton mill, rest assured he never owned a gun, he couldn't have afforded one for a start, and why would he have felt the need for one, whatever the law said on the matter would have been irrelevant to people like him, of whom there were millions.

So you're not clear what I'm advocating ? That may be because I'm not being so presumptuous as to advocate anything, the problem appears intractable to far cleverer people than me. I'm just pointing out that sneering from this side of the Atlantic, and claiming we are far too clever and sophisticated to have allowed this problem to have developed here is ludicrous. Those poor kids in Manchester haven't been long enough in their graves yet for us to be thinking we know better than the Yanks how to deal with maniacs intent on mass murder.
    Here is historic information regarding mass shootings (4 or more deaths) in the USA.

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/the-hi...gs-in-the-u-s/

1900 -1909 - 0
    1910-1919 - 2
    1920-1929 - 2

So in that 30 year period there were just 4 instances. I'm not aware of the figures for the UK but I bet they were comparable.

So yes, most people in the UK who went down 't pit didn't feel inclined to shoot people up. And it appears that it was the same in the States.

So my point stands. The US allowed people open access to firearms, we didn't and just look at the resulting figures.

If you truly think that the USA cannot learn anything from us on this issue then crack on.

Their nearest northern neighbours copy our gun control methods and they don't have a problem either!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Their nearest northern neighbours copy our gun control methods and they don't have a problem either!
    Very true, however, you have to remember that neither Canada or the UK live in the land of the free. So it must be the guns that keep it free

Quote Originally Posted by SELDOM_SEEN_KID View Post
    Lots of words to say nothing. Two totally different scenarios.. I think you are missing the point to this thread.

Here's a question. What happens if a teacher is a against guns war or violence.. Will they not be allowed to teach.?
    How would an interview for a teaching role go?

Lunacy to the highest degree.
    Here's a question for you. You ban guns, so some lunatic gets high on drugs and rampages through a school with a machete. What do you do now ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Here is historic information regarding mass shootings (4 or more deaths) in the USA.

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/the-hi...gs-in-the-u-s/

1900 -1909 - 0
    1910-1919 - 2
    1920-1929 - 2

So in that 30 year period there were just 4 instances. I'm not aware of the figures for the UK but I bet they were comparable.

So yes, most people in the UK who went down 't pit didn't feel inclined to shoot people up. And it appears that it was the same in the States.

So my point stands. The US allowed people open access to firearms, we didn't and just look at the resulting figures.

If you truly think that the USA cannot learn anything from us on this issue then crack on.
    "Studies indicate that the rate at which public mass shootings occur has tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011, a mass shooting occurred roughly once every 200 days. However, between 2011 and 2014 that rate has accelerated greatly with at least one mass shooting occurring every 64 days in the United States."

Look at those figures, guns were just as readily available from 1982 to 2011, but the incidence of mass shootings has tripled in the last seven years. So what has changed, it's certainly not the availability of firearms, so something else is at play here don't you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Here's a question for you. You ban guns, so some lunatic gets high on drugs and rampages through a school with a machete. What do you do now ?
    Same as we do when a radicalised Muslim or a white terrorist drives a truck into a crowd of people going about their legitimate daily business. We put in preventative measures and legislate to prevent it happening again.

Same as we do when a depressed suicidal German pilot decides to murder a plane full of passengers. We try and understand the reasons and then put measures in place to prevent it happening again.

Why should a teacher or a policeman armed with only a handgun be tasked with stopping a lunatic armed with a rapid action assault rifle?

The armed deputy who was on campus at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school when a gunman massacred 17 people stood outside the building as it occurred and did not go in to engage the shooter, the Broward County sheriff, Scott Israel, said on Thursday.

Trump backed by his NRA funders thinks the solution is to provide 1,000,000 teachers with even more guns! Problem is one teacher with a handgun is no match for a lunatic with a 100 rounds a minute assault rifle.

Much stricter gun control might just be the better answer. Doh!

About right!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)