+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What is a happy clapper?

Quote Originally Posted by Br0chred View Post
    I don't like Derek's conservative game management, his use of substitutions, lack of youth player game time and playing 3 at the back.
    However at the risk of being labelled a happy clapper, I would suggest some perspective. In our history we have had 23 permanent managerial appointments. Before Derek only 7 of them have won anything significant. Fergie and only 2other managers have won more than one trophy and those 2 won only 2. So we currently have a manager with one of the best percentage win rates and fourth most successfull. Given the years of complete shyte we had to endure since the mid 90s, I dont think he's done a bad job and am "happy" he is our manager.
    Yes, but this is just the “at least he’s not McGhee” argument. This clearly identifies you as a happy clapper. You’re not allowed to compare McInnes to previous managers. He didn’t have to contend with Rangers in his first few seasons. Hearts, Hibs and United have all been relegated at some stage during his tenure. Even McGhee or, dare I say it, Alex Miller could have walked the league by 20pts under these circumstances and filled the trophy cabinet. Apparently McInnes is the most privileged manager in AFC history so you can’t compare him to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    Yes, but this is just the “at least he’s not McGhee” argument. This clearly identifies you as a happy clapper. You’re not allowed to compare McInnes to previous managers. He didn’t have to contend with Rangers in his first few seasons. Hearts, Hibs and United have all been relegated at some stage during his tenure. Even McGhee or, dare I say it, Alex Miller could have walked the league by 20pts under these circumstances and filled the trophy cabinet. Apparently McInnes is the most privileged manager in AFC history so you can’t compare him to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    😂

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    This isn't really new is it? I remember my first game at Pittodrie in '92 or '93. There were two obese cretins sitting behind us who spent the whole game booing the team and hurling abuse at Alex McLeish. Pretty sure we were 2nd at the time but if you had pointed this out I'm sure that they would have eloquently explained how the club's approach at the time was the only thing holding us back from winning the league title every season.
    It's certainly not new, Billy Stark used to get abuse - a midfielder who got 15-20 goals a season. Jim Bett used to get dogs abuse by folk who thought his shirt stayed too clean...

My first league game was at Love St ‘88 & Dons fans we’re booing Bett for missing that chance in the League Cup Final

Christ, Aberdeen fans boo’d John Hewitt at Parkhead. No ones safe

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    My first league game was at Love St ‘88 & Dons fans we’re booing Bett for missing that chance in the League Cup Final

Midweek game, I think the one after Durrant tripped ower his cartoon lugs? A 1-1 draw with Davie Dodds our scorer?

I happened to be working in our Blochairn depot that week, and managed to attend.

Details of Bett being booed have been lost along with lots mair as my mental faculties shut down.

I thought the Bett booing was 3-1 (who needs a penalty when you’ve got Charlie Nicholas in your team) My memory isn’t 100% reliable either.

Re Hewitt, I don’t think he wanted to wear that Celtic strip any more than the rest of us. Even still, if there’s one player out of all the players that have ever played for Aberdeen that’s above abusing...

I thought the Bett booing was 3-1 (who needs a penalty when you’ve got Charlie Nicholas in your team) My memory isn’t 100% reliable either.

Re Hewitt, I don’t think he wanted to wear that Celtic strip any more than the rest of us. Even still, if there’s one player out of all the players that have ever played for Aberdeen that’s above abusing...
    AFC Heritage records suggest that the 3-1 game was in 87-88, in midweek after the League Cup final. I was at the 88 Love St game, but not the 87 one

Shocking that Hewitt was booed, but we had a fair quotient of zoomers in our support, even then.

I had the politest run in with the St.Mirren casuals round about then. The LSD apologising for bothering me, told me to enjoy the game & my time in Paisley

Always had a soft spot for them since

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    AFC Heritage records suggest that the 3-1 game was in 87-88, in midweek after the League Cup final. I was at the 88 Love St game, but not the 87 one

Shocking that Hewitt was booed, but we had a fair quotient of zoomers in our support, even then.
    "had" past tense?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast