+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Play Forte

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Quite frankly I can't see where we'd pick up those points at present with the current set up, can't lose what you haven't got. Doing nothing doesn't seem to be the answer. Whether it makes the team weaker is a matter of opinion given that we've set the bar low with recent performances.
    While I agree with the thought that we'll struggle to pick up the necessary points with the current squad, I don't see the point in making change for change's sake. We still have to select our strongest eleven, and I don't see Mr Forte as part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    While I agree with the thought that we'll struggle to pick up the necessary points with the current squad, I don't see the point in making change for change's sake. We still have to select our strongest eleven, and I don't see Mr Forte as part of that.
    I would always start with Stead & Shola (given that we don't seem to have a better front pairing) if they are both fit, but if either is not available then I would much sooner see Forte in the team than the 1 up front tactic that has cost us so many points over the last year!

Shola and Steady have started together twice in the last eleven games. Both games won.

The other nine games we've drawn two and lost five.

Methinks our ageing two strikers aren't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Shola and Steady have started together twice in the last eleven games. Both games won.

The other nine games we've drawn two and lost five.

Methinks our ageing two strikers aren't the problem.
    Depends what people think a problem is... if they are fully fit and can play week in, week out then no problem. However, you said yourself, played together twice in 11 games, is that because Ameobi is not the spring chicken he was and can’t play too frequently? That in itself would make it a problem.

In my opinion the embarrassing debacle of attempted transfers in January has left us with no option but to juggle with the three strikers.

We've persevered with the ineffectual and predictable set-up of Stead playing solo on his own and that has led us nowhere except a waterfall in league position. He isn't a solo performer and our midfield cannot anticipate or are too slow to pick up his knock-ons (always assuming of course his two markers allow him any). Nolan has stared at these lack-lustre displays like we have yet he sticks with it. Surely if either striker isn't up to it, a string of games with Forte and Stead is worth trying, even Forte and Ameobi eh? It's not as if we have looked like winning or even controlling games recently and we won't get relegated if it all goes wrong - it can't get wronger than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Depends what people think a problem is...
    The problem appears to me to be the fact that they can't start together more than 2/11 and that has been on the cards since May last year. KN would have known that, AH would have been told that.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Depends what people think a problem is... if they are fully fit and can play week in, week out then no problem. However, you said yourself, played together twice in 11 games, is that because Ameobi is not the spring chicken he was and can’t play too frequently? That in itself would make it a problem.
    Fair point '78. The problem isn't when they both start but that just lately, because of fitness problems presumably, they rarely do.

This whole thread really boils down to selecting the best striking options at our disposal, and they don't make good reading.

Strikers - Stead, Ameobi, Forte, Saunders.

Pretend strikers - Allessandra, Grant, and dare I say it, Alan Smith.

Use all the cliches you like, such as "worth a gamble", "can't be any worse", "we have to do something different", "something has to change", and "nothing to lose". I still think the preferred 2 in a 4-4-2 stand out by a mile, and they don't include Forte or Saunders.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    it can't get wronger than it is now.
    You do realise this is Notts County we're talking about, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This whole thread really boils down to selecting the best striking options at our disposal, and they don't make good reading.

Strikers - Stead, Ameobi, Forte, Saunders.

Pretend strikers - Allessandra, Grant, and dare I say it, Alan Smith.

Use all the cliches you like, such as "worth a gamble", "can't be any worse", "we have to do something different", "something has to change", and "nothing to lose". I still think the preferred 2 in a 4-4-2 stand out by a mile, and they don't include Forte or Saunders.
    Agree with the above - but unfortunately that may only happen once every five games or so. The conundrum is what to do in the other four - and what has been tried so far simply hasn’t worked. Repeatedly.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast