+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Play Forte

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    This whole thread really boils down to selecting the best striking options at our disposal, and they don't make good reading.

Strikers - Stead, Ameobi, Forte, Saunders.

Pretend strikers - Allessandra, Grant, and dare I say it, Alan Smith.

Use all the cliches you like, such as "worth a gamble", "can't be any worse", "we have to do something different", "something has to change", and "nothing to lose". I still think the preferred 2 in a 4-4-2 stand out by a mile, and they don't include Forte or Saunders.
    It's more than that, although all you put in quotes is true. With only Stead AND Ameobi, the opposition defence can be sure that everything is going to happen in front of them. Nobody's looking to get in behind the defence. Do we really have midfield runners? I haven't seen too much of that. The likes of Husin and Grant are capable of picking out a good through ball pass. Our open play is crying out for another dimension.

You've got us pegged as heading out of the play-offs by season end. Me too at the moment. Hall sounds like a good addition. KN's going to have to keep tweaking the midfield, but it's up front that looks like costing us what is still a good chance of promotion. Bennett was signed to add the extra dimension we need, was picked to start at Barnet and 'ping', he's done for the season.

Say we continue with just Stead and Ameobi for the the next 12 games. Projecting from their current strike rates, Stead gets another 4 to add to his total, Ameobi 2 to finish with 6 for the season. Nowhere near enough. We have to find something else to give us a chance (a genuine 4-3-3 might be worth a go) and if we don't add another dimension to our play, we'll be too predictable to be a threat to teams we're going to have to face in the run-in.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 24-02-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The answer is to stick with Stead and Shola and hope the midfield chip in with a few goals.

Shola is ten times the player Forte will ever be. Opposing defenders know they've got a job on their hands when he plays, I bet they would love to see Forte's name on the teamsheet instead.
    What he says. ^^^^

Another win with Stead and Shola starting up front together, Shola scoring a goal and getting MOTM...

Well well well...

Here's a bit of totally useless information - Alan Smith's come on as a substitute in 14 league games this season and we haven't lost any.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Here's a bit of totally useless information - Alan Smith's come on as a substitute in 14 league games this season and we haven't lost any.
    In fairness that’s because almost all of those apps have come with the game already won. I don’t understand what Smith offers. He’s hardly a game-changer but is on the bench every week. If Dickinson would’ve got injured today we’d have been screwed because there was no Milsom or Jones in the squad, but we still found room for this 37 year old player-coach/striker/holding midfielder. I’d imagine he’s barely played a half with those 14 apps combined.

You're right fm. I did say it was a bit of useless info.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Another win with Stead and Shola starting up front together, Shola scoring a goal and getting MOTM...

Well well well...
    If only they were both 5 years younger, we'd be top of the league..

Good win in the end today, if Grant can get himself back into form, it might be enough. I can only look at the league table after we’ve won, and tbh, it doesn’t look as bad as I thought.

As for Forte, he’s not great, but f00k me, he’s deserved better than he’s got this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post

As for Forte, he’s not great, but f00k me, he’s deserved better than he’s got this season.
    .......and yet again, Nolo made a post~match joke about Forte being injured because his wife makes him do the housework....very strange.....the first time it raised a laugh pre~match when he said that "he knows she wears the pants around his household....he has seen them out shopping together".......Nolo clearly dislikes Forte, but to take the piss in public is weird.....then he dismisses it as banter

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post

Well well well...
    Quite true Freeman,i was one of those that said try something else with Forte & Grant, but well done to Stead & Amiobi. The down side maybe though that Shola may not be starting next week due to his age/fitness.One thing on Shola though, why on earth is he in our box for opposition corners etc, he has no chance of getting alongside Stead when or if the clearance comes, we are then left with one up front so the ball comes straight back, also Hawkins should have had MOM today if it wasn't for his crosses we would not have been anywhere near their goal with a chance.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast