+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen v Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    No.
    But.... Rodgers was questioning his players attitude, commitment, bravery & character last night.
    So.... cue the response on Sunday....
    Playing either rangers or Celtic after they were in Europe never made any difference.

It would have if we had made the final of the Scottish Cup in the year the Huns reached the UEFA Cup final but we all remember what happened there!

I would like to think we can make abetter fist of it on Sunday. We need to get at that crappy defence . Hopefully May is feeling up for it as I doubt Rooney will be able to trouble them as per usual. And please just please no fecking O'Connor either in defence or especially midfield !

Quote Originally Posted by kigoretrout View Post
    It would have if we had made the final of the Scottish Cup in the year the Huns reached the UEFA Cup final but we all remember what happened there!

I would like to think we can make abetter fist of it on Sunday. We need to get at that crappy defence . Hopefully May is feeling up for it as I doubt Rooney will be able to trouble them as per usual. And please just please no fecking O'Connor either in defence or especially midfield !
    There's no point having a go at Rooney when he's asked to cover their half of the field. If he was allowed to poach in these games it might be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    There's no point having a go at Rooney when he's asked to cover their half of the field. If he was allowed to poach in these games it might be a different story.
    I agree with you and we are not exactly spoiled for alternatives. But watching the poor bugger running about as if he is pulling tyres and mistiming every jump for a header is soul destroying. But I agree with you its McInnes' fault not Rooneys. I just don't think he should be playing unless we go 2 up top. Which obviously we aint gonna do in a month of Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Correct, Rooney is ineffective in these games because the tactics are all wrong. He is hardly the paciest of strikers and yet he is expected to run at a Celtic back four for 90 mins...

Unfortunately, we are facing Celtic at the worst time imo. They are out of Europe, their no1 goal for the rest of the season will be securing champions league football. This effectively means it is their biggest game left this season, Rogers will have them focused. Beat us and they go 12 points clear of us and (probably) 9 clear of Sevco. Drop points and they could have a title race on their hands. they know they have to kill us on Sunday.

It does not help when we are missing Shinnie and Christie. Lets face it, we all know we are going to have at least half the outfield team as central defenders (Consi, McKenna, O`Conner, Ball, Arni, Reynolds) pick 5 from that lot. We wont push high up the park as a consequence and they will come at us in waves as they usually do. Its whether the defence can withstand the pressure this time instead of the usual crumble and can we take any opportunities that come our way.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
    Unfortunately, we are facing Celtic at the worst time imo. They are out of Europe, their no1 goal for the rest of the season will be securing champions league football. This effectively means it is their biggest game left this season, Rogers will have them focused. Beat us and they go 12 points clear of us and (probably) 9 clear of Sevco. Drop points and they could have a title race on their hands. they know they have to kill us on Sunday.

It does not help when we are missing Shinnie and Christie. Lets face it, we all know we are going to have at least half the outfield team as central defenders (Consi, McKenna, O`Conner, Ball, Arni, Reynolds) pick 5 from that lot. We wont push high up the park as a consequence and they will come at us in waves as they usually do. Its whether the defence can withstand the pressure this time instead of the usual crumble and can we take any opportunities that come our way.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Usual story - set up defensively with multiple central defenders spread out of position across the pitch. Other players being asked to do things they can't do - i.e. Rooney (I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up playing wide and May plays through the middle or something mental like that). Celtic have all the possession, but struggle to break us down. At some point in the first half O'Connor or Considine makes a mistake and we go 1-0 down. The players think "oh well here we go again" and we end up losing 3-0 at least. McGinn and GMS are both off by about 70 minutes replaced by defenders and whoever our striker is goes off to be replaced by Maynard, which is always the signal that we've given up.

probably do OK till half time , draw even,

opposition manager has us sussed by then, & makes necessary changes

We then get hammered in the second half.

I have a particular dislike for that shambling hunchbacked *** pest Forrest. I can already picture his smug coupon celebrating Celtics third.

Hope I’m wrong but I just can’t see anything other than an easy win for the mhanks

Couple of seasons ago when Deila was at Celtic everyone was saying that was the season that got away from Aberdeen and that we should've really challenged for the title... probably true.

However this season is one we're going to look back on and think - wow, we actually could have won the league if we'd just stopped losing to 2 or 3 teams in every game. 9 points behind at the end of Feb.... even converting 5 defeats to the OF into draws would put us within touching distance of being top of the league. Glorious opportunity this season blown. Next season Rangers, Hibs and Hearts even stronger and Kilmarnock if they keep Clarke - it's really make or break time. Win on Sunday and cut the lead to 6 and you just never know... lose on Sunday and we're 12 behind and probably 3 behind Rangers and looking over our shoulders. Right now I'd be delighted with a draw. Should never be our attitude going into these games, but with the track record we have I think you'd have to take a point!

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast