+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Words that don’t make sense

Words that don’t make sense

Has anyone ever been whelmed? Yet we can be over and underwhelmed but I have never ever felt whelmed.

I have been disappointed with Burnley’s performances but never been appointed by them. On the other hand I’ve been appointed to a few positions in my time, but was never told I was being disappointed when I left.

I have often been disgruntled by posts on here, but none have made me gruntled.

I think it’s time we started to be consistent and be gruntled appointed and whelmed regularly.

Are there more?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I have often been disgruntled by posts on here, but none have made me gruntled.

I think it’s time we started to be consistent and be gruntled appointed and whelmed regularly.

Are there more?
    You talking to yourself again OC-

Happens a lot ID as you get older.
    Now have you ever been hevelled, occasionally I am dishevelled but never the opposite. In similar vein I have been unkempt but never been called kempt

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    That’s not an official dictionary though alto. This meaning comes from reverse engineering of over and underwhelmed

Here’s the Collins Dictionary version
    whelm
    /wɛlm/
    verb (transitive) ( archaic)
    1. to engulf entirely with or as if with water
    2. another word for overwhelm

The word actually comes from old English and relates to the level of boats in the water. If overwhelmed the boat sank.

Another one
    I was quite nonchalant about Rovers, and have never been Chalant about anything to my knowledge

The lack or response is disconcerting, but if I get a bigger one that won’t be concerting
    Am feeling a little disconsolate, but if it improves I wont feel consulate - though I used to smoke them in the 60s - menthol flavoured civvies.
    Now Jeremy may be dismayed sometimes but has he ever been mayed by Theresa.

its Inevitable...a Misnomer so Inclement - so Insipid....and Disheveled - as so Unassuming this Nonpareil is - how Immaculate though how Incorrigible - Inadvertent though Impeccable..... .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)