+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This would take Stevenage by surprise

This would take Stevenage by surprise

Something like...

Collin
    Tootle, Hall Duffy Jones
    Hewitt Husin Grant
    Stead Ameobi Forte

You don't read much on here about Warnock's 4-3-3 which got us up from L1 to Prem level.

For example, the front six for the win over Tranmere at Wembley was

Thomas Robinson Turner
    Bartlett Lund Johnson

Why would you hesitate now? One reason is the quality of that front 3, could you trust them to do a job? Plus, that empties the cupboard of all our striking options! I'm not saying we should do exactly this, but it's an example of a kind of shake up (personnel or formation) we'll be needing pretty soon as we reach the last 10 whilst sinking like a stone. As Nolan says himself in the NEP '“We have to find the right solutions as quickly as possible.''

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...ok-him-1248510

Don't think we have the discipline in this squad to stick to those tactics like that squad did. Anything other than 442 and we are all over the shop.

The 'right solution' would be to get back to bloody basics, keep it simple, be first to the second ball in midfield and find Grants magic scoring boots, they must be around somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Don't think we have the discipline in this squad to stick to those tactics like that squad did. Anything other than 442 and we are all over the shop.

The 'right solution' would be to get back to bloody basics, keep it simple, be first to the second ball in midfield and find Grants magic scoring boots, they must be around somewhere?
    Agree with the analysis and with what will probably happen (for the next couple of games at least). But do you think it's gonna work? Is Grant going to find those magic boots again out there in left midfield?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Agree with the analysis and with what will probably happen (for the next couple of games at least). But do you think it's gonna work? Is Grant going to find those magic boots again out there in left midfield?
    I think that's where he saw them last isn't it?

At the end of the day it's clear that if Nolo tries to get clever with his tic tacs the player just don't seem to grasp what he is trying to do. They only understand 442. It was a solid shape and desire to be first to the ball in midfield that got us up to the top of the table, he just needs to get them organised again.

4-4-2

Fitz
    Tootle Hall Duffy Jones
    Hawk Hewitt Husin Grant
    Stead Shola/Forte

I think that's where he saw them last isn't it?

At the end of the day it's clear that if Nolo tries to get clever with his tic tacs the player just don't seem to grasp what he is trying to do. They only understand 442. It was a solid shape and desire to be first to the ball in midfield that got us up to the top of the table, he just needs to get them organised again.

4-4-2

Fitz
    Tootle Hall Duffy Jones
    Hawk Hewitt Husin Grant
    Stead Shola/Forte
    It'd be handy if you are right. If KN's 'stand up and be counted' talk is all it takes to get back on track then all's well and good.
    My guess is that a 'back to basics' campaign will do about as much for Nolan as it did for John Major (sure, we need it but maybe something new besides). And I think somebody swapped Grant's boots while he wasn't looking. Has Curtis scored for Wycombe yet?

I think you are right when you say back to basics. We've got to win the battle first and foremost and we've not been doing that at times in recent games in my opinion. It's simple things like you say like being first to the second ball, closing men down, stopping crosses into the box, tight man marking in our box. Be a bit more creative and have a go, instead of being reserved.

For me just recently we seem to give teams far too much space and time on the ball in all areas of the park. Let's pick our heads up and be confident with and without the ball and get back to doing what we did earlier in the season which was simple but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    It'd be handy if you are right. If KN's 'stand up and be counted' talk is all it takes to get back on track then all's well and good.
    My guess is that a 'back to basics' campaign will do about as much for Nolan as it did for John Major (sure, we need it but maybe something new besides). And I think somebody swapped Grant's boots while he wasn't looking. Has Curtis played for Wycombe yet?

Fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by ReadWarbler View Post
    Fixed that for you
    Made his debut last week. Good luck to him.

It's not much of a surprise now you've told them about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast